Author Topic: Scoreboard ordering  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Squibby

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +54/-0
  • Hanger to core breach in 30 seconds...
Scoreboard ordering
« on: May 07, 2012, 01:45:03 AM »
Can we please get the scoreboard reordering the players based on points instead of coolness or whatever combination of metrics it's currently using. No major negative effects besides being dropped down ranks because your name was lowest on the list despite having more points than the guy above (happens mainly at the high ranks)

This has been broken for sometime now yet seems to linger patch after patch. Not sure if anyone has created a bug report for it so here it is.

Repro: 5/5 just check the scoreboard.
Seriousness: 1/5 besides occasional shortchanging of ranks, not much.

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
Re: Scoreboard ordering
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 04:16:02 PM »
The explanation I was given is that the scoreboard orders by rank, then score.  Ranks only periodically get updated, so in between updates it's entirely possible for someone who's doing better recently to have a higher score because they haven't gotten promoted over the person above them yet.

When the pass for ranking occurs, then it gets ranked based on score and reorganized. 

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Leggat

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +14/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 01:02:39 AM »
What I wonder is why can't we see our opponent's scores?  no biggie, but do we need to know their network speeds?  [k, so there is some use to that, but it can't have been intentional]

Offline Hellknight

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 10:59:38 AM »
Both the ordering and scores are valid points. I'd love to see that fixed.

Offline cyofee

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +71/-61
    • cyofee
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 11:02:43 AM »
What I wonder is why can't we see our opponent's scores?  no biggie, but do we need to know their network speeds?  [k, so there is some use to that, but it can't have been intentional]
Agreed on this. There is no reason to hide our scores from the opponents.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +156/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 11:36:44 AM »
The explanation I was given is that the scoreboard orders by rank, then score.  Ranks only periodically get updated, so in between updates it's entirely possible for someone who's doing better recently to have a higher score because they haven't gotten promoted over the person above them yet.

When the pass for ranking occurs, then it gets ranked based on score and reorganized. 

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct. Someone with a higher score than someone else can be on a lower position, simply because he wasn't promoted yet to the next rank. However, the actual bug is, that within the ranks, the sorting is wrong. As far as I (and sirmonkey) observed it, the sorting within the ranks is based on the order of promotion. So consider the following example:

PlayerRankScore
CPVT31
BPVT8
APVT3

At Rank PVT/WR, all players are still sorted correctly by their score. Player C now gets promoted, because he has the minimum points required for the next rank.

PlayerRankScore
CSG31
APVT3
BPVT8

Meanwhile Player C and Player A make 30 additional points each...

PlayerRankScore
CSG61
APVT33
BPVT8

...which makes Player A reach over the minimum points required for the next rank as well. What happens now in MW:LL is this:

PlayerRankScore
ASG33
CSG61
BPVT8

The players are sorted by rank, but within the ranks, player A is placed above the other players with the same rank, because he was the last to achieve that same rank. What should happen though is, that players are simply sorted by their score, within their ranks instead.

This was already reported some time ago: http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,15861.0.html - Scoring appears to be illogical (?)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:42:16 AM by Spooky »

Offline Ingrater

• MWLL Lead Coder
  • Project Director
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 01:16:03 PM »
There is not only a single number for each rank. There are hidden "rank points" which the scoreboard sorts by, thats why it seems to you that the ordering is "wrong". Also it used to sort by score and then people complained that it does not sort by rank...
There comes a point where the talking must stop, and people have to do actual work.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 01:22:24 PM »
There is not only a single number for each rank. There are hidden "rank points" which the scoreboard sorts by, thats why it seems to you that the ordering is "wrong".

Even so, currently, the last person to achieve a new rank is always sorted above everyone else in the same rank. I doubt that the last person to achieve a rank always somehow has more of these rank points?

Also it used to sort by score and then people complained that it does not sort by rank..

Before 0.5.2, it was sorted by rank, then by score (or at least it appeared to be). I doubt anyone complained about that? With 0.5.2 it got "broken".

Offline =CJW= Dhalrin

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +25/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 06:28:42 PM »
All I know is it used to feel "right" and now it feels "wrong". If it has indeed been fixed, it has been fixed in a bad way...
Absolutely no Fun allowed on this Bocks!

Offline Ingrater

• MWLL Lead Coder
  • Project Director
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 07:01:22 PM »
This will be fixed in 0.5.7
There comes a point where the talking must stop, and people have to do actual work.

Offline Squibby

• Star Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 11:25:27 PM »
I have observed rarely at the higher ranks (GC etc..) the lowest person sometimes gets demoted a rank when someone new is promoted, despite sometimes having a higher score than the players ahead of him.

Maybe I'm just seeing things, but in any case it's nice to know that this little bug will finally be squashed...it's had a good run (since 0.5 I think)

Offline Hellknight

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 11:55:24 PM »
That's probably due to the fact that there can only be one Khan, one saKhan, and 3(?) Galaxy Commanders. Dunno if the other ranks are also limited.

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 12:00:01 AM »
The only one unlimited is the lowest. You can find info on the ranks here: http://wiki.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php?title=Ranks

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 12:43:49 AM »
That's probably due to the fact that there can only be one Khan, one saKhan, and 3(?) Galaxy Commanders. Dunno if the other ranks are also limited.

What he meant was, that the lowest one (according to the sorting) is demoted, despite having a higher score, than the other players in his rank. One would expect, that the player with the lowest score gets demoted, when another player from the lower ranks reaches a higher score, than the one that has the lowest score in the higher rank.

Offline Squibby

• Star Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 01:09:42 AM »
Exactly, though I can't confirm if this is actually the case.