Author Topic: Trivia Quotes thread  (Read 2720 times)

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
Trivia Quotes thread
« on: May 25, 2012, 07:59:53 PM »
As he turned, a platoon of jump infantry lit their packs and leaped away into the tree and brush cover of the park. Loren cursed to himself. Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined  arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters.

Came across this while reading.  Karma to the person who can tell me the novel title. And karma for
Guessing Loren's primary unit name.  And Karma if you find another good quote to ID.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 08:06:27 PM by ~SJ~ Blhurr »
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline =KoS= Eldragon

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +91/-2
Re: Trivia Quotes thread
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 08:34:07 PM »
I'm going to take a guess with Impetus of War and Loren Jaffrey. Novels have blurred over the years.

Offline Kelmola

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +62/-1
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 08:35:52 PM »
It's from Highlander Gambit, just read it recently (the "park" gives away which book, no parks in Impetus of War). Loren Jaffray, a former Death Commando, fighting as part of MacLeod's Regiment of Northwind Highlanders at the time.

Now where's the following exchange from and who is the "Sir"?

"What is his mental state?"
"Borderline schizophrenic, off the top of my head. Sir. But I really don't know much about—"
"Do you consider this a problem?"

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 04:29:10 AM »
NOt sure I've read this one.  working my way through though,  anyone else got one?
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline [CG]Anastasius Focht

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-9079
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 05:58:04 AM »
It's from Highlander Gambit, just read it recently (the "park" gives away which book, no parks in Impetus of War). Loren Jaffray, a former Death Commando, fighting as part of MacLeod's Regiment of Northwind Highlanders at the time.

Now where's the following exchange from and who is the "Sir"?

"What is his mental state?"
"Borderline schizophrenic, off the top of my head. Sir. But I really don't know much about—"
"Do you consider this a problem?"

At a quick guess is it Col Hertzog to Sun Tzu Liao ?
You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anastasius_Focht

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 06:07:28 AM »
Ohh nice.  Sounds reasonable that it would be about the early timeline capellan's.

Offline Kelmola

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +62/-1
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 05:43:54 PM »
Sorry for forgetting this trivia. No, it's not a Capellan, the "sir" in the dialogue is sir Paul Masters of the Knights of the Inner Sphere, who apparently has no problems if his subordinates are few 'Mechs short of a full lance as long as they perform sufficiently on the field of battle. The exchange is from Ideal War, which is a rather too transparent "Vietnam War in outer space" that feels quite forced at times, although the book does end in a nice three-way battle with TACTICAL NUKES, repeat, TACTICAL NUKES.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 05:47:40 PM »
Have not read that one.  We do love our nukes though.

Offline Because people mistake me for someone else

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-9
  • Dispenser of Hate & Justice, unlimited ammo still
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 02:48:35 PM »
Yo BlakistDawgs, we heard you like Nukes, so we built you Nukes which can nuke while nuking !

Next trivia :

"There was a soldier, a Scottish soldier
Who wandered far away and soldiered far away
"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0976embDvhY&feature=youtu.be
*Counterstacking by OneManArmy.dll*
"Why so hateful ?" "I am, and you are too"

Offline Gouty

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +137/-5
  • =CJW= Chief Whip
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 04:59:38 PM »
Hey I know that, it's a song called something like "The Green Hills of Tyrell".  Had that song drilled into my head one long march.  Bagpipes are fapping annoying.

I have one for you:

"And so I wake in the morning and I step outside
And I take A deep breath and I get real high
And I scream from the top of my lungs"

Stirring stuff, I think you'll all agree
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"
If you take this seriously, you're some kind of mouth-breathing fappwit that shouldn't have survived infancy.

Offline DFDelta

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +145/-1
  • Wiki Staff
    • My Youtube page
Join the MWLL wiki today, your contributions will make the wiki a better place.

In Lyran Commonwealth, Atlas scouts you.

Offline =CJW=YalK

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +96/-1
  • There's no brakes on the Rape Train
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 10:39:14 PM »
Sig

Expecting understanding and empathy on the internet (especially in Toast [especially by Bill]) = fail.
And I say hey hey hey....I said hey, what's goin' on And I say hey.... hey....I said hey, what's goin' on? >>> THIS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70yNAwUUsc0