Author Topic: This Game Have Any Colorblind Mods?  (Read 3986 times)

Offline Cytikus_Kain

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
This Game Have Any Colorblind Mods?
« on: June 17, 2012, 05:03:24 AM »
I get killed by things I cannot even see,  no idea where they are.  Ill see a red arrow pointing somewhere but cant actually see the target that I can shoot at.  I get the feeling this game is NOT for people who are colorblind.

Offline J-Me

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +48/-0
Re: This Game Have Any Colorblind Mods?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 05:25:23 AM »
FYI, that happens to people who aren't colourblind all the time.

Shooting from behind cover/concealment is a good idea. You should try to do it too.  :)

Offline Cytikus_Kain

• Bondsman
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 05:30:00 AM »
thanks J for trying to make me feel better bud but I cant SEE anyone to shoot,  even their names that are in red are invisible to me unless its against a white background,  if theyre in trees or rocks anything with a brown, green, red background theyre invisible to me.

Too bad after about 5 yrs of playing it I might have actually killed someone lol.

Is the new version thats in beta now gonna be like this?  Colorblind unfriendly?

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 06:44:58 AM »
I believe that (TLL)Heretic is color-blind, as well, and he is pretty damned good IMO.  You might want to ask him his secrets.

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline =KoS=Zeus

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +83/-0
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 09:15:26 AM »
Not all color-blindness is the same, but it does bring up a good point. Giving the option to tint friendly/enemy and other HUD elements to different hues would be a huge help. I have a number of colorblind friends who note that the HUD is not very colorblind friendly for them and they wish they could just modify the colors of things to fix it.

Offline ~SJ~MausGMR

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +83/-7
  • Oh snap...
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 10:22:39 AM »
I believe Merf is colour blind as well, may want to see what tips those two can give you.

<Freeborn_Toad> what's a Maus?
<Razorin-Faust> It's what you get when Chuck Norris and Natasha Kerensky have a kid : Maus

The prodigal son has returned

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 04:48:27 PM »
I thought Merf was totally blind, but who needs eyes when you can "let go your conscious self."

Also modding the mod is strictly forbidden. I think they hot poker your eyes for that. 
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline (TLL) Heretic

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 01:58:22 AM »
"If you know yourself, and know your enemy you will win 100 times blah blah" Sun Tzu.

Situational Awareness is a skill that you will have to learn to survive in MWLL.  Make a habit of doing SA-checks, an eyeball glance from the HUD to your bottom right damage display, from there to your speed, JJ and temp readouts and then to the radar boob and back to the HUD.....repeat every few seconds(when in combat you will also need to include the weapons groups for overheat in your SA-check).

The Left Radar boob is your best friend, it shows Allies as almost-white against the blue-grey (so the contrast is good).  It always shows Allies, sure Enemies in Red are not so well contrasted, but if anything unexpected shows up out of nowhere press T or E and you'll target the bad guys.  I have to say I spend 90% of any game running active Radar, usually with a GECM or AECM 'mech (I'm a Thanatos D/Atlas A&B fan 8) ), but will spend most of my time Active even in a 'mech without electronics.  Passive I save for the attack, for closing to optimum distance (or flanking), and to cover a retreat.... once I have a plan sorted out from the radar boob (and terrain boob if needed) I tend to switch to Passive until contact.

As you play the maps and get used to them you will begin to instinctively know where a unit is from the radar boob, and you can react or attack much better (ie. stay alive longer).

Press B often to cycle through your Allies as you move to the frontlines and between engagements (you can keep the SA-checks up in your periphery while doing this with practice), know who is with you, where they are going and what condition they are in (you'll sometimes get a heads up on hidden enemies by spotting allies taking damage using B, and then looking in their direction).

SA is something that we all get wrong sometimes, a few days ago in a late-join game of Dustbowl I spotted an enemy medium and a friendly medium, went passive and moved my Demo Prime into attack range, the enemy Medium must have retreated and the friendly medium moved into it's position.  Poor sod got around 4 AC20 shells to the face of his SCat before my SA Check showed that I was loosing cash!  Embarrassing, but these things happen when you go Passive and loose SA while Brawling.

So work on your SA esse ;D
I swear to you, you get good at SA you will be the one hitting the enemy out of nowhere.

Pecuniam non olet
Quid enim saluis infamia nummis

"Make this game my way, because I HAVE A DISORDER!" - VictorMorson
".....show us on the doll where MWLL touched you bad." - KingLeer

Offline Pabst

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 06:45:31 AM »
What about he infared mode?? Might that help at all..

Offline Webclaw

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 08:53:24 AM »
The nightvision mode could be helpful, makes the game almost black and white so if yah just turned down the contrast and brightness on your screen before turning it on in daylight that could possibly help.

Offline Chuckachu

• Bondsman
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 09:09:27 PM »
wrong thread....weird...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 06:00:08 AM by Chuckachu »

Offline BLUPRNT

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 12:14:20 AM »
Kain, I feel your frustration as I too am colorblind. I have in many games found myself dead from cameleon fire, shooting at nothing, and even fireing at teamates just because I can't see it as clearly. Colorblindness comes in a few forms but massive degrees of each. It sounds as if though yours may be more severe than many others. I spent my whole life making mistakes because of mine, especially when it comes to games because the game world uses the same basic of red and green all the time, which is the color spectrum I struggle with the most. Even if the hud color could change I dont think it would help us see the target any better since most back ground colors are that in nature mixtures of red-green. I haven't found anything yet that helps but recently come up with the idea of wearing cheap sunglasses that may alter the natural color intened in the game. Other considerations are change the lighting in the room of try altering you monitor display properties.

Who knows maybe in the future you and I may run into each other as friendly and have a leg fest with simpathy. 

Offline MerfMerf

• Lead Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar, 331st Feral Fangs
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 10:44:13 AM »
Colourblind reporting in!

I am not sure why,  but I am not having all that much trouble in MWLL so far. The whole colour blind mode thing is a rather recent development so I guess I am simply used to working around it. Then of course there are varying kinds and degrees of colourblindedness. I have no trouble seeing the targeting brackets (though of course you do not always target your enemy so...) but the damage arrows I often miss unless they are against something bright (like most sky boxes). I simply do not rely on them and sometimes I think that is actually a benefit (they can sometimes be unreliable I understand).

Names over assets I mostly use to see friendlies (those blue texts are plenty visible) and possibly to ID who I am currently shooting at (with the focus on a single target I can make out the red text anyhow, especially since they move around while the background typically does not). Mechs themselves I think are often visible enough, and I scan more for movement more than anything else really. I also tend to favour using my radar as soon as combat is met to keep my situational awareness up. The radar boob typically has enough contrast to make the objects in it visible. The map boob can be more difficult and I use that more to ensure not colliding with terrain rather than keeping exact track of my enemies. Try to favour assets with GECM (and BAP/BHP if one suitable is available) if you are having trouble, that should let you keep your radar on more.

One of the more difficult things to see I think is the crosshair changing to green or red pending on if you aim at a friendly or at an enemy. Sometimes that can make the crosshair more or less disappear, but it is not like it is moving around really so it is not so bad. Move the crosshair a bit off target and it goes white and I can see it again. Most weapons require lead anyway so... and for those that do not you often have the weapon fire itself as sort of tracer rounds (XPL for instance you can just point the pulsing beam rather then using the actual crosshair). You can use the changing crosshair to see mechs that stand still against backgrounds that are hard to see them against, sweep that crosshair and when it suddenly disappears you know you are pointing at a target. Problem is knowing if it is an enemy or not (I can see the differences between the green shift or the red shift if I pay it close attention, but typically I look first for blue name and if there is none it is likely an enemy).

Separating enemies from friendlies is often possible on movement patterns as well. Due to how the battles are oriented friendlies and enemies tend to move differently (different directions). Retreating friendlies typically move different compared to advancing hostiles. If in doubt aim at the asset and hit Q (or whatever button you have configured for target whatever is under my reticule) and if it gets a blue targeting box around it it is friendly, if it is red (potentially invisible) or nothing at all it is an enemy (so basically if you do not get a blue targeting bracket it is a bad guy).

Nightvision can help sometimes, but often the light conditions on the map makes it unusable for me.

/Merf - More than meets the eye...

Offline [IPA] Taltos

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +12/-1
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 11:17:19 AM »
I would be curious how colorblinds cope with low-vis maps? For example, I regularly have difficulty distinguishing far-away mechs from the background in TSA_Marshes (when it's a snipefest across the airfield), or picking them out of the haze at 1.5k in sandblasted, and my color vision is a-ok. I can only imagine how much worse that must be when you can't distinguish colors properly.. :-\

Offline MerfMerf

• Lead Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar, 331st Feral Fangs
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 11:22:52 AM »
I would be curious how colorblinds cope with low-vis maps? For example, I regularly have difficulty distinguishing far-away mechs from the background in TSA_Marshes (when it's a snipefest across the airfield), or picking them out of the haze at 1.5k in sandblasted, and my color vision is a-ok. I can only imagine how much worse that must be when you can't distinguish colors properly.. :-\

Radar, crosshair scan across field, look for movement.

/Merf - basically the TLDR of previous post