Author Topic: Battletech books featuring House Kurita  (Read 2622 times)

Offline NorthernNomad

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
Battletech books featuring House Kurita
« on: June 23, 2012, 06:56:15 AM »
I just read my first battletech novels in years, Highlander Gambit, and really enjoyed it. I've always liked House Kurita and the Draconis Combine - can anybody recommend me another novel or three?  :)

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
Re: Battletech books featuring House Kurita
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 09:53:58 AM »
Heir of the Dragon

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline Because people mistake me for someone else

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-9
  • Dispenser of Hate & Justice, unlimited ammo still
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 02:02:35 PM »
Black Dragon  (a wild mercenary regiment from the FWL is being hired by a Kurita Entrepreneur)
Lethal Heritage  (Clans are making their first moves, all Houses are involved in that story)
Far country (Kurita Jumpship with a DEST team on board mis-jumps, very interesting story)
Heir of the Dragon ( Theodore Kurita´s path to OP-ness and wisdom)

Have fun !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0976embDvhY&feature=youtu.be
*Counterstacking by OneManArmy.dll*
"Why so hateful ?" "I am, and you are too"

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 02:37:10 PM »
Close Quarters

Far Country is the only book I stopped reading.  Didn't seem consistent with BT universe.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline Kelmola

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +62/-1
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 05:37:41 PM »
The second book of the Gray Death trilogy, Mercenary's Star, is set on a Combine-occupied Lyran planet. The Combine are the antagonists, but there's some stuff here for a fan.

There's the Wolf's Dragoons story arc that is (naturally) linked with House Kurita, chronicling the feud between the two and Theodore's eventual rise to Coordinatorship. The second book is nearly all Combine, the others divide the narrative roughly half-and-half. The first is the best, the two others OK.
Wolves on the Border
Heir to the Dragon
Wolf Pack

Then there's the "Camancho's Caballeros" trilogy that tells the story of a mercenary regiment that gets hired by Theodore Kurita's cousin, "Uncle Chandy" aka Chandrasekhar Kurita. All books involve the conspiracy of Black Dragon Society to overthrow Theodore or at least overturn his too liberal policies. While written from POV of the regiment, there's plenty of detailing the customs and environments of the Combine and plenty of political intrigue. In fact, 'Mech battles are few and far between here. I liked these a lot, I would say that at times I almost thought I was reading a "real" novel and not just BT books. Highly recommended, not just for Combine fans.
Close Quarters
Hearts of Chaos
Black Dragon

There's also two books describing the Combine-Ghost Bear war that was engineered by the Black Dragon Society. They are mostly from the Clans' POV (especially the latter, from Ghost Bear POV; the former is from Nova Cat POV) but still provide some insights into the Combine.
Path of Glory
Test of Vengeance

Far Country is simply wrong on so many levels, and while all the characters are from Combine, it's not worth your while unless you're on a mission to read through every BT book ever.

Offline NorthernNomad

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 12:58:26 AM »
Cheers!!

Looks like none of those are available on Kindle or iBooks yet :grumble:

Any suggestions for books that are on there?

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 05:25:22 PM »
Yeah, just download them all as PDFs.