Author Topic: Corsair 500R Dust Filter Removal (from top grille)  (Read 6663 times)

Offline GB-Bear

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
  • Yusss.
Corsair 500R Dust Filter Removal (from top grille)
« on: June 30, 2012, 09:10:40 PM »
I'm not sure if this should be in Tech or Toast given it's not a question but more of a how-to and doesn't really pertain to MWLL, but I'll put it here for now.

This is for anyone who has the Corsair 500R and are using the top 2 fan locations as exhaust fans, and has realized that the dust filter/top grille impedes way more airflow than it needs to, especially when using it for an H100 Radiator. Removal of the grille when gaming is an option, but seems unnecessary and is cosmetically unappealing. Not to mention you have either exposed fans or a vulnerable radiator.

So, I've made this how-to on removing the dust filter from the top grille assembly. Excuse the really crude tools, as I keep all mine at work and only random things at the apartment. All images are clickable to enlarge. I am not responsible for any damages you may cause to your case, yourself, or others by using this information. Nor am I responsible if you try this and it voids your warranty.

So let's begin.

REMOVAL

Tools. I used what is shown here, and everything is very improvised. Bear in mind that had I thought to bring tools home from work, I would have brought a larger set of tools, including needle nose pliers, an assorted set of punches and cold chisels, and a smaller set of screwdrivers. But because this was spur of the moment, I just grabbed whatever I had nearby.

I used a hammer, floss toothpick, 1/4 straight bit, bit holder, and pocket knife. All are pretty cheap and easily replaceable or fixable should they get damaged.

Start with a 500R case (Duh)

Press down on the front of the grille to unlatch it from the case, and then remove it from your case.

As we look at the grille, you can see just how restrictive the filtration media is underneath the larger holes of the grille. Because we are using this to exhaust air, a filter is not necessary and impedes airflow dramatically.

Here, we can see the filtration media we need to remove. It is essentially just another mesh screen with much smaller holes. it's sandwiched between the grill bracket and the mesh grille.

The grille is held on by the tabs fashioned out of the grille. You'll need to bend these upward in order to make room to lift up the bracket. Here, I've got my bit showing what these tabs look like. They're pretty tough, so unless you bend it excessively you won't have to worry about them breaking off.

Use your flat bit to get underneath the tab and gently pry upward to bend it up. Try to use the widest bit possible so that it applies even pressure across the tab and the bracket.

If you are having problems getting underneath the tabs with your bit, use something to gently pry it outward so that you may get your bit underneath. A small pocket screwdriver is much better to use than a pocket knife, but since I did not have one, I used a pocket knife instead. Use a pocket screwdriver if you can as it is much safer than a knife.

To prevent marring up or breaking the plastic bracket that the grill holds onto, we can use the floss toothpick for leverage and to keep the bracket from concentrated forces, spreading the force over a larger area.

Once you have bent all of the tabs at about a 90 angle, you will want to go to the front 4 tabs (Shown is the front 2) where the latch is, and bend those up a bit higher. This will allow the front to lift up enough to pull out the filtration media. Less is more as far as bending. The less you bend now will ensure that they bend back to their original state much easier.

Now, lift the front of the bracket up. You may have to push a slight bit towards to rear to clear the tabs if you didn't bend them enough. Bend the tabs more as needed to get the necessary lift.

Next, you will want to lift the filtration media up by using the toothpick end of the floss toothpick. Simply hook into one of the holes and with a little horizontal force, should then be able to lift it up to be removed.

pull the filtration media out from the grille assembly. It will look a bit like this.

REASSEMBLY

You'll want to take a hammer out now in order to bend the tabs back. Needlenose pliers may work, but are more of a substitute for bending them out, not back. use them if you'd like. Take the assembly and set it on a surface soft enough that the paint on the side that is cosmetically visible will not get damaged. This picture is to demonstrate where to tap it, but not what surface to use. I used my lap to bend the tabs back.

Gently tap the tabs back down. This requires moderate force, but nothing excessive at all, and will not damage anything. Give extra force as required.

Next, you will want to bend the ends of the tabs back into place to secure the grille to the bracket. I used my cheap bit holder here, but a set of cold chisels or punches would be better, as a screwdriver bit isn't designed to be hammered upon. However, bending these tabs back in requires very little force and will not damage even the cheapest of bits. The Metal the grille is made out of is much softer than the bit, and will bend back quite easily. 

Take the bit and holder up against the tab, and gently tap the back of the bit holder with the hammerhead. It should easily bend back into place.

This is how it should look after bending it back. Do this for all of the other tabs.

Reinstall the grille assembly back onto the top of your 500R case. The back of the grille slides in first, followed by clicking the front to latch it back in. As you can see here the grille holes have opened up dramatically, and are primed for letting much more air through.

And now you're ready to get back to work with a quieter, more free flowing exhaust system! Horay!

I hope this helps anyone, MechWarrior Living Legend player or not. I haven't seen a write up for it yet, so if anyone outside of the MWLL community needs a How-To they can come to the MWLL forums to get it.  ;)

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
Re: Corsair 500R Dust Filter Removal (from top grille)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 09:17:41 PM »
+1 for a very extensive write-up. I don't have such a case, but I'm sure your detailed and photo-rich explanation would help everyone who does.

Also, you should really treat yourself to a bigger monitor and a nicer chair. ;D

Offline Because people mistake me for someone else

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-9
  • Dispenser of Hate & Justice, unlimited ammo still
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 09:53:30 PM »
If you have a piece of thin leather you might wanna use it between bit and tab to avoid any scratching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0976embDvhY&feature=youtu.be
*Counterstacking by OneManArmy.dll*
"Why so hateful ?" "I am, and you are too"

Offline GB-Bear

• Lance Sergeant
  • Yusss.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 10:25:16 PM »
Yes, or something rubberized will work. Same thing when bending the tabs back into place. Keep in mind that the tabs will not be seen when it is installed. The main part to protect is the cosmetic top and side surface of the grille.

Also, you should really treat yourself to a bigger monitor and a nicer chair. ;D

I planned on it. Would you care to donate?  ;D

Offline Werewolf486}12thVR{

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-1
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 12:12:11 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0ohF6zthOQ&feature=fvwrel

All you need....

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for your actions or your intelligence. If you do this and mess up your computer it's your problem, your fault, and your expense!
NEW: Cooler Master ATSC840                                                    OLD: Cooler Master ATSC840
ASUS LGA2011 Rampage IV Black Edition/Intel i7-4930K             ASUS LGA775 Rampage Extreme/Intel Q9550S
ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/27" ASUS Monitor                          ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/ 24" ASUS Monitor
16GB Corsair Vengeance/Razor Nostromo/M70,M65 Corsair         8GB OCZ Reaper/ N52te/Sidewinder
Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit                                     Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit
250gb Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/500GB WD Blue x 2 in Raid1        80GB Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/750GB WD Blue x2 in Raid1

Offline GB-Bear

• Lance Sergeant
  • Yusss.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 12:36:14 AM »
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for your actions or your intelligence. If you do this and mess up your computer it's your problem, your fault, and your expense!

Offline hank

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 03:13:55 PM »
Thanks for this nice writeup, as I've just realized that my top panel filter may have been obstructing the outtake. Unlike the front panel filter, it is unfortunately not easily removable.

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 10:38:01 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0ohF6zthOQ&feature=fvwrel

All you need....

Is that by the same guy who made this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnyoJtv9Cx0