Author Topic: Locust refurbishment  (Read 7296 times)

Offline [CG]Anastasius Focht

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-9079
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
Locust refurbishment
« on: July 14, 2012, 06:10:05 AM »
Well i finally got around to refurbishing the only surviving Locust in this scale (there were 5)

Its well over 20 years old, and one of my first mech models and it shows compared to more recent ones.

Age and decay havent added any to its charm either.

Took it to bits and rebuilt some parts, the feet may look large but i'm lucky enough to have an original crusher joe ostall kit and ive modeled them on it

Lots of modeling putty to fill and reshape parts

Done to the "blank" stage

It will get a grey and bright orange skin as per the decision at thunder rift novel cover, my first ever novel, and where i fell in love with the locust.
I had five of these which i used for TT style play, This sole survivor while not the best example of my work even with refurbishment, none the less looks good restored to my collection
You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anastasius_Focht

Offline (TLL) Heretic

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
Re: Locust refurbishment
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 02:29:39 PM »
At least you don't have to use a VTOL for scouting now!

Lovely restoration, she's looking good Focht.

Pecuniam non olet
Quid enim saluis infamia nummis

"Make this game my way, because I HAVE A DISORDER!" - VictorMorson
".....show us on the doll where MWLL touched you bad." - KingLeer

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 02:29:26 PM »
That's one mean little machine ;D

BTW you knows where it needs to be for safe keeping ;)

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
It's missing the leg actuators!

Just kidding. Nice work.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline d3jake

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-2
  • [CGB] Pilots Captured Long Toms
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 06:41:55 PM »
The legs remind me of the MW3 version of the owens...

Were very light units like that or the Firemoth useful on TT? It seems like a good way to get slapped by a Gauss shell.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 07:02:54 PM »
I'm assuming that the physical characteristics of the model had no bearing on the attributes assigned to the asset in TT or ya, I'm pretty sure you could knock it over with a stone from a sling shot a la the battle for endor.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 09:17:56 AM »
The trick with the locust on the TT, was to use its 12 hex running ability and the initiative roll to make it really hard to hit, If you lose initiative run 10 + hex's away, if you win it loop back in for a shot.

In trying to hit it, its base to hit for long range of 8, it moved plus 10 hex's add 4......... if the attacker walked its plus one, you need to roll a 13 on 2d6 to hit........

That plus 4 modifier for movng 10 plus hex's was really useful if you played it right.

You can also use that 12 hex run, to on winning the initiative get into the rear of your target where not only can he not fire back (with exceptions like the 2medlas on the atlas), but you are also targeting rear armour, yes its a death of a many small cuts, but done properly the locust can surprise the unwary.

Original cruher joe artwork

The skin will look like this

Ah nostalgia its not what it used to be

This model really rounds out my collection, i now have a 20 tonner and both an Atlas and Daishi.
And plenty in between.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:43:27 AM by [CG]Anastasius Focht »
You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 10:36:17 AM »
I love how you stuck to the original artwork and really pulled it off.

I always love seeing your work, Fotch. Can't wait to see the camo!

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 09:37:41 AM »
*shrugs* and here I had luckely forgotten the original mecha designs  :'(

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline d3jake

• MechWarrior
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 09:29:20 PM »
The trick with the locust on the TT, was to use its 12 hex running ability and the initiative roll to make it really hard to hit, If you lose initiative run 10 + hex's away, if you win it loop back in for a shot.

In trying to hit it, its base to hit for long range of 8, it moved plus 10 hex's add 4......... if the attacker walked its plus one, you need to roll a 13 on 2d6 to hit........

That plus 4 modifier for movng 10 plus hex's was really useful if you played it right.

You can also use that 12 hex run, to on winning the initiative get into the rear of your target where not only can he not fire back (with exceptions like the 2medlas on the atlas), but you are also targeting rear armour, yes its a death of a many small cuts, but done properly the locust can surprise the unwary.
I didn't understand some of that.... well, most of it. So... it's really freaking fast, and because of it, it's hard to hit. Why not have a few dozen trinaries of Locusts then? I hate to suggest it as it sounds like a trolling setup, than anything serious.

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +125/-33
  • Cheese!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 09:45:50 PM »
My milk shakes!

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 01:40:01 AM »

I didn't understand some of that.... well, most of it. So... it's really freaking fast, and because of it, it's hard to hit. Why not have a few dozen trinaries of Locusts then? I hate to suggest it as it sounds like a trolling setup, than anything serious.

I did often run fleets of locusts, And maintained that ton for ton 100 tons of locust , beat 100 tons of atlas in the long game.

the chart below shows how you calculate the to hit number

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/CBT_Tables#Attack_Modifiers_Table

You start with the weapons range.

For Short range the base to hit is 4 (rolled on two 6 sided dice)
If the range is medium its 6, if its long its 8.

So the closer the range the easier the target is to hit.

Then you calculate any terrain modifiers, light  or heavy woods etc these get added to the "to hit" number

then movement modifiers, first the attackers movement
stationary is 0
walked is +1
ran is +2
jumped is +3

then the targets movement
0-2 hex's is 0
3-4 hex's is +1
5-6 hex's is +2
7-9 hex's is +3
10 or more hex's is +4

So lets say at the start of the firing phase i want to shoot a large laser at a locust thats 6 hex's away

Thats medium range, so a base to hit of 6, i ran my mech during the previous movement phase so thats a modifier of +2 and the locust ran 11 hex's a modifier of +4

i need to roll a 12 "to hit" it, if the locust was able to put some light woods between us its a 13 to hit, if he managed to put a hex of heavy woods between us its 14 to hit impossible with a maximum dice roll of 12.

If the locust were 12 hex's away instead of 6. (not uncommon with a run of 12)
Then that large laser would be long range, base to hit of 8, i ran +2 he moved 10 plus hex's +4 which means "to hit" i need to roll 14, again impossible.

The logic is pretty sound, to hit a target the factors are how far away it is, how fast is the attacker moving, ie easier shot if your standing still harder if your running, and how fast the target is moving.

Conversly if the locust were 2 hex's away and it didnt move during the movement phase, and the attacker didnt move either, then its a base to hit of 4, no modifiers.

So if i roll a 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 or 11 or 12....... the weapon hits

Some other advantages i found with the locust, the TT game is often a last man standing scenario, people often overlooked the locust as being a small threat (one medlas and 2 mach guns) and focused on the larger mechs, the locust can dart around the periphery of the battle, nipping in for an opportune shot into rear armour, and then mopping up towards the end of the battle.
In a last man standing scenario 5 locusts vs one atlas spreads your tonnage over multiple chassis

Its disadvantage is obvious though, its a garbage can on legs armour wise, one or two decent hits from a heavy weapon will trash it badly.
But if you run them properly, they can be effective

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 01:46:12 AM by [CG]Anastasius Focht »

Offline d3jake

• MechWarrior
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 03:25:56 AM »
I really want to play CBT... Ugh.

Thanks for the explanation!

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 04:26:00 AM »
I really want to play CBT... Ugh.

Thanks for the explanation!

You are welcome

It was an entirely different game to what we now play on computers, a 24 player hour long match typical today, could takes days or even weeks to play out on the table top.
More like a game of chess.
Of course back in 1987 personal computers were not a common item, and usually came in a choice of monitor colours, green white or amber.

The calculations may seem a little cumbersome, but with practise most players got a feel for doing them quickly, on average id say five seconds to calculate and roll per weapon.
It was all about strategy, rather than aiming skill.

To be honest i much prefer the modern incarnations of BT over the old TT days

The computer supplys the visuals and sounds that we had to draw from our imaginations, which in turn drew from the novels in order to simulate what being a mechwarrior would have looked/felt/sounded like.

Today i play with a massive screen, and huge speakers that make the floor shake with each footfall of the mech. the sense of immersion is much deeper, and of course the pace is in real time.

Still there was something nice about having a half dozen mates over for the weekend, a couple of cases of beer and a BBQ cooking away while we played

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 05:28:47 AM »