If I was in charge, this is how I would revamp the BA system:
1. Players spawn as "pilots", who are unarmored, unarmed and run slowly, maybe 20km/h tops, but are equipped with jetpacks with longer range than current Elemental BA.
2. Only pilots are able to board mechs and if a player ejects, he will become a pilot again, allowing him to board empty mechs or run back to base, but not to instantly attack enemies with BA weapons, like now.
3. Pilots may buy BA equipment but can't eject from it, if a player wishes to upgrade, he will have to get into a BA hangar and sell his current BA, becoming a pilot again.
4. Add a bunch of different BAs catering for different play styles.
- Light BA can only carry small weapons but is faster and can never be seen in radar
- Medium BA functions much like the current Elemental BA
- Heavy BA can carry larger weapons but moves slower and can only do short hops with JJ and can be detected further away in radar
- Assault BA can carry multiple heavy weapons, moves slowest, but can not JJ and can be seen almost as far away as a battlemech