Author Topic: Future plans for BA?  (Read 14584 times)

Offline Terragent

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +44/-0
Re: Future plans for BA?
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2012, 09:15:35 AM »
Realistically, the only way to make A-pods or B-pods work would be to change them considerably; perhaps make them an EMP burst that knocks out BA armour regen and Jump Jets but isn't the instagibbing that the shrapnel-based B-pods would entail. Not sure how comfortable the devs would be with introducing something as unorthodox as that, though (hey, it's almost electric discharge protomech armour!)

I think the beef that most people have with BA is not that they are too powerful but that they are too annoying - pilot BA in particular. I don't know if there's a straightforward fix to that, since one man's rage is another man's fun. :/

Offline Ghogiel

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +60/-0
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2012, 09:19:01 AM »
Basically base turrets...

..on mech legs.

::)

Offline =CJW= Zweistein000 (W)

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +222/-72
  • Trial of position ended; Rank: Warrior
    • Urbie Defense By (TLL)CapperDeluxe
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2012, 09:28:37 AM »
4. Players spawn as unarmed, unarmored pilots. This, so much this.

No.

That shit adds nothing to the game but inconvenience, I would support no ejecting before that.
In a perfect world I would rather that ejecting ports you back to base with more money than you would get for respawning (with a completely different economy though).

Actually it makes dedicated BA more meaningful. Of course for the sake of game Pilots also have to have JJ (maybe 2x Light ba JJ), so they can RTB. I would also support, that if you RTB as a pilot you get your c-bills added depending on your rank as a reward for surviving (If you have less than 55k as Warrior and you eject and survive, you get +55k, but if you have more you get 50% of that which is 27,5k. This would make Ejecting and surviving a better option than, let's sit here and feel sorry for ourselves. This would also reduce suicidal attacks and remove legging rage to some extent).

The alternative could be, that ejecting instagibs you, but doesn't add to your Deaths. The game then proceeds as if you were killed, respawning you with stock C-bills or the amount you have depending on you rank and amount c-bills you have, but I would still support buying BA and having light BA before medium, heavy and assault ones.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 09:34:33 AM by =CJW= Zweistein000 (W) »
Vote Bill for multidimentional sex warlock 2013.

Quote from: Bin Fish link=http://cjw.dyndns.biz/forum/profile.php?10,12
Don't sniff anything Bill gives you and never find yourself alone with HAARP

Offline C.Falcon

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-1
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2012, 11:35:24 PM »
IMHO pilots and BA should be two completely different things.
Ejecting from your vehicle should be the mechwarrior's last resort for survival, not battle. You can abandon your mech if it's legged, take your remaining cbills back to the hangar and purchase a new asset, or in the future of mwll perhaps take an MFB to go repair or salvage your vehicle.
Abandoning your asset to continue your fight doesnt seem like a viable mechwarrior strategy. However the pilot will have weaponry to at least defend itself from enemy battle armor, so players will retain some damage potential against enemy assets.

One idea i have to separate BA from pilots besides armor and weapon strength is their mobility. pilots need only to escape from engagements, so they can sacrifice agility for top speed, leaving BAs maneuverable enough to skirmish with mechs. Although on second thought this does sound counter-intuitive; how is a powered armor battle suit more nimble than a human with a jet pack?
The answer? BAs have an infinite supply of morphine. It works for Gordon Freeman anyway.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 02:30:35 AM by C.Falcon »

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-151
  • What's a matter, wolf got your ride?
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2012, 05:25:58 AM »
I think gameplay is fine as is the heavy and other armors should be a addon that you can buy.
Ferro-Fibrous armor deflecting insults and protecting from damage since 2571.

I am The wolf Chosen of Kerensky. As a  Warden clansmen i protect those who cannot fight for themselves and seek only to find peace in humanity. The Wolf's Dragoons were the spies of the clan sent by the clan wolf. It was through them that we  both realized that the inner sphere were people just like us.
Runway is the only one who can make it to Khan rank without ever moving.
Do not mess with the runway, runway always wins.

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2012, 06:13:49 AM »
I wouldn't mind making dedicated BA a more clear choice, but still I don't want pilots in the game.
You would get instagibbed too damn fast to be worth anything, like one Mgun shot should kill you...
And its already annoying going back to repair as it is, ejecting to run back is something that would rarely be worth it unless some serious incentive was included.
Though giving them more mobility than standard BA would help i guess, just having it as an indirect incentive for "dedicated" BA is not enough to justify the extreme tediousness to gameplay.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-1
  • But mom said it was MY turn to post!
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2012, 03:49:34 PM »
I think gameplay is fine as is the heavy and other armors should be a addon that you can buy.

Alex... I don't even know.
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2012, 04:19:51 PM »

You don't even know what?

I am The wolf Chosen of Kerensky. As a  Warden clansmen i protect those who cannot fight for themselves and seek only to find peace in humanity. The Wolf's Dragoons were the spies of the clan sent by the clan wolf. It was through them that we  both realized that the inner sphere were people just like us.

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2012, 04:44:46 PM »

You don't even know what?

Took me a few minutes to decode your post :A

I think all BA should be just 'addons' you can buy through the store, simply because they have such high damage output for their price, players shouldn't start off with them for free.

Also, it would be so cool to have a glider pack or something as an unarmored pilot, just flying around everywhere.
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline Brainwright

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +34/-2
  • AKA : Rotten
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2012, 04:59:09 PM »
Also, it would be so cool to have a glider pack or something as an unarmored pilot, just flying around everywhere.

No it wouldn't.  They'd be target practice so long as they couldn't dodge.

It's raw acceleration that determines an asset's ability to avoid hits.  So long as speed is constant, one can estimate a lead.
Thanks for the view.

Offline ScottRidley

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +15/-0
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2012, 08:26:14 PM »

It's raw acceleration that determines an asset's ability to avoid hits.  So long as speed is constant, one can estimate a lead.

As long as i can still take a light AC2 into the cockpit and there's other options of getting into battle quickly as a dedicated BA... like troop carrier VTOL or hover.

As it is, ejecting BAs die quick horrible deaths out in the open. In cramped spaces with lots of vertical cover, whole different story. I can see how they're perceived as a bit OP here.

If time and effort weren't an issue, I'd suggest visibly blowing away the cockpit when ejecting while powered up - i.e. remove the canopy so you could see and hit a pilot in a mech that's been ejected from a lot easier. Could be one more balance against ejecting BAs.

A different approach: how about adding an eject timer, add blurb about the battle armor having to close around the pilot while severing mech's life support cables etc... would prevent that last-second eject, shaving off some free damage out of your mech's guns should you choose to eject.

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2012, 09:40:33 PM »

You'll notice I said 'cool', not 'effective' or 'awesome'.

I mean it'd be fun to just fly around at 1.5km on extremity, dropping blasting charges on clusters of light mechs and watching them freak the fapp out.

At that, it'd be cool to just fly about, not in a competitive game OFC, but just for the fun of it.
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2012, 12:22:24 AM »
Lets not kid ourselves; the only reason a "pilot" is suggested is because some people find the whole BA-popping-out-of-a-'mech is silly. Sure, it is a bit silly, but being forced into a terribly weak role simply to preserve the illusion of how battlemechs actually work is even more silly when considering gameplay.

Not to mention the amount of time and effort it would make to create, program, implement and bug-test such a massive change in game design. There's enough complaint about how long it takes to get into battle, how much more do you think that would be magnified if you're stuck in a role every time you die or eject that's both easier to kill and less maneuverable than Battle Armor is? (Giving pilots MORE maneuverability than BA falls into the same trap of silly & not-making-sense, so why even bother changing anything?)

Dedicated BA options are already available, and will only be expanded upon in the future. I'm with Invictus in that I don't see any justification for such a radical change, except to appease the BT purists.

Offline kryobig

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +14/-0
  • A dish best served cold.
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2012, 01:37:47 AM »
Lets not kid ourselves; the only reason a "pilot" is suggested is because some people find the whole BA-popping-out-of-a-'mech is silly. Sure, it is a bit silly, but being forced into a terribly weak role simply to preserve the illusion of how battlemechs actually work is even more silly when considering gameplay.

Not to mention the amount of time and effort it would make to create, program, implement and bug-test such a massive change in game design. There's enough complaint about how long it takes to get into battle, how much more do you think that would be magnified if you're stuck in a role every time you die or eject that's both easier to kill and less maneuverable than Battle Armor is? (Giving pilots MORE maneuverability than BA falls into the same trap of silly & not-making-sense, so why even bother changing anything?)

Dedicated BA options are already available, and will only be expanded upon in the future. I'm with Invictus in that I don't see any justification for such a radical change, except to appease the BT purists.
I'm not suggesting pilots because it's canon with BT. In fact, I couldn't give rat's ass how it works in tabletop or fluff because I have no background in it. I'm suggesting it because currently ejecting serves only a trolling purpose, it's not the last ditch effort that it should be. It's not good game mechanic and many seem to agree with me.

I'm not underestimating the effort that the devs are putting in for the tweaks but it's hardly a gargantuan effort that you make it sound like to change stats and graphics of the current starter BA to make it look like a pilot. Adding the new ones is probably more work, but seeing that we already have 50+ assets in the game I think the devs are more than capable of pulling this off.

If you have the attention span of a 5-year-old, maybe then it takes too long to get into battle, I hardly consider that 1-2 mins it takes to move around in most maps outrageous.

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2012, 05:59:20 AM »
I only eject when i know my mech or vehicle is gonna blow that or i accidentally pressed the wrong key ( >:( hate it when that happens) or after i slamm my aero into a vtol and live :P