Author Topic: Funbocks  (Read 13524 times)

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
Funbocks
« on: September 25, 2012, 02:13:55 AM »
I don't understand the difference between the dedicated server forum and this one so I'm posting here.  Would someone from the Funbocks admin staff post the reasoning behind the new server format?  I'm not necessarily griping, I'm just curious.  Decisions as to the removal of pure tech and the separation of official from community maps would appreciate some elucidation. 

I'm also curious about gamma.  Any chance the direction of that server gets shifted? 

Not that any explanation is owed by any means lads.  99% of the mwll gameplay takes place on your servers so you more or less dictate the direction of this mod from the public standpoint.  It's a lot of responsibility and no obvious easy choices.

Cheers.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
Re: Funbocks
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 02:48:33 AM »
The MWLL Battlegrounds: Server discussions board is for announcing or discussing upcoming events, tornaments or other related topics. Keeping this away from the Dedicatyed Server Discussion board is to minimize the boards becomming cluttered and will give more attention to hosted event.

The Dedicated Server Discussion board is only for discussing setting up servers or anything related to that, such as advertice server rotations.

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-3
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 09:58:10 AM »
Some mixture is necessary ( may be 70\30). Just now observed decrease in number of players from the map to the map. Right now at game on this server.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +158/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 10:26:04 AM »
Some mixture is necessary ( may be 70\30). Just now observed decrease in number of players from the map to the map. Right now at game on this server.

That's because of the time of day ;). Player numbers are always lowest between 06:00 and 12:00 UTC+2.

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-3
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 10:37:41 AM »
May be / ^ ) or not /

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 12:57:19 PM »
Thanks for the link. That clears things up and I appreciate the logic. 

My thoughts for Gamma are SA + small size TSA/TC maps.  I'd have to think on what fits the bill for that.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline Because people mistake me for someone else

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-9
  • Dispenser of Hate & Justice, unlimited ammo still
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 07:17:41 PM »

Maybe the decrease came when they saw who joined ?
Not joking there
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0976embDvhY&feature=youtu.be
*Counterstacking by OneManArmy.dll*
"Why so hateful ?" "I am, and you are too"

Offline Mattk50

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 10:17:01 PM »

Not joking there
It came when TSA clearcut came on. The fact that that map is in rotation is very disheartening

IMO one of the most important assets to this mod staying alive is good map rotations that are fun and keep people interested. I think it warrants a little more attention than just "throw all the good and worthless official maps onto a server". Though, with that new map voting thing down in the community section implemented, it could work out fine.

Also, i dont see the point in separating official and unofficial maps. Should try separating TC and TSA sometime though :V
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 10:38:41 PM by Mattk50 »

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +86/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 10:48:45 PM »
i don't know why people don't like TSA Clearcut . .
i basically grew up with that map. we mostly had that map and 3 others.
and we liked it!
and i still like TSA Clearcut. But then, i like playing a BA, and that means i like the maps a bit more cramped with not too much in the way i can't get over <.<
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline Mattk50

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 10:52:48 PM »
i don't know why people don't like TSA Clearcut . .
i basically grew up with that map. we mostly had that map and 3 others.
and we liked it!
and i still like TSA Clearcut. But then, i like playing a BA, and that means i like the maps a bit more cramped with not too much in the way i can't get over <.<

We grew up with an older version of it iirc.... but the game's moved on, its an annoying map with no room for maneuvering and its extremely campy. The only way i have fun on it is as BA, as well.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 11:33:42 AM »

Not joking there

Population always drops with Clearcut and Extremity.

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +86/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 12:10:44 PM »
I also like extremity.
Probably because i like being a BA.
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline cyofee

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +71/-62
    • cyofee
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 01:23:44 PM »
Hey HAARP, would you try running last man standing on the Gamma server? The particular kind of LMS I'd like to see is the one 7th WD ran - fixed starting money, no c-bill earning, a change of price point every few rounds and a change of map after every few price points. For example:

5 x SA_Glory at 80k
5 x SA_Glory at 200k
5 x SA_Glory at 100k
5 x SA_Forsaken at 49k
5 x SA_Forasken at 140k
5 x SA_Forsaken at 80k
and so on...

I really loved 7th WD's LMS server when I was a newbie because it allowed me to try out and practice in assets I couldn't yet afford regularly in TC or TSA games. The best part of it is that I could do that without any negative consequences towards my team - a destroyed Atlas is 11 tickets and a load of c-bills to the enemy, which sets your team back a lot. That is not what you want your teammates to be doing. LMS is ideal for newbies to check out, for example, whether they prefer Mauler C or E. That's not an easy thing to find out if you can only afford one of those per hour-long TC game.

I don't need LMS to learn variants anymore, but I view it as a much fairer alternative to SA. The mode is defensive, perhaps more realistic, unlike the mindless race to deal damage in SA. It's also forgiving to late joiners - every round starts on equal footing and there's no steamroll effect if someone farms newbies.

It is true that LMS can be exploited by waiting in the hangar until everyone there's just two of you, but that can be fixed with kicks and bans just like any other kind of game ruining.

Offline [IPA] Taltos

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +12/-1
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 01:44:21 PM »
couple days ago I showed a friend the ropes, planned on using a TestOfStrength server - turns out they're all locked.  :( In the end we hopped into an empty TSA or TC server, but I really would have liked to show him the bigger assets...

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 01:45:06 PM »

LMS is a flawed mode. Being in the first engagements will never win you the game, thus you would have to wait in the safety of your hangar until the others are engaged with each other or until there is a kill even. And imagine if everyone would do that... ;).