Author Topic: A small suggestion regarding newbies  (Read 4016 times)

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-1
  • But mom said it was MY turn to post!
A small suggestion regarding newbies
« on: September 29, 2012, 04:34:50 PM »
I've noticed a lot of new names in the pub servers; floating atop Osirises no less.

It just seems like a good portion of games I join nowadays are complete and utter roflstomp because one team has no idea what to do while the other team has all the semi-competent players on it.

I was hoping I could convince some of the server admins to add an MOTD or scrolling messages linking to the wiki, forums, a tutorial, just something to help out the influx of new players.
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline KH Zalaran

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-1
Re: A small suggestion regarding newbies
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 06:19:13 PM »
I also will suggest that veteran player not partake in the lolstomps this game has quite a large learning curve and it does take several days to get into it. its honestly not very fun for new players to constantly get stomped (been there my self years ago)
Im only saying this because I've seen quite a few rage quits and making people run away from the mod wont make things any better

Offline ScottRidley

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +15/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 08:08:48 PM »
When I have genuine newbs on my team and they're asking (not too stupid) questions, i usually take the time to show them around a bit. I've been treated the same way when I was new, and have to say it can be quite rewarding meeting those same newbs later when they've turned into veritable killing machines.

Offline Hawkeyes52

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 04:34:31 AM »
also PLEASE do not get in an aerospace or VTOL when the server pop is low and there are newbs around, its hard enough for them to feel like they're doing anything against assets they can hit.

Offline [CG]Anastasius Focht

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-9079
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 04:58:29 AM »
Mine has an MOTD type popup directing them to HPGrelay, and the CG, which in turn has doorknobs tutorials linked.

I often let a new player use me for target practise too, if someone says they are new, i use chat to let them know i will act as a moving target, and just let them have at it.

Its a small sacrifice/investment to make, with a hoped for return of a happy new player
You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anastasius_Focht

Offline Nakor

• Alphatester
  • Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +11/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 07:48:43 PM »
From what I've observed the number one killer of small mods/games is an entrenched veteran player base that has zero consideration for new players. Adding MOTDs helps, but the main thing is going to be how the community treats new players. Unfortunately, when there is only one or two servers populated, it only takes a handful of hostile veterans to keep new players from sticking around.

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 08:51:29 PM »
Ok. Hum I guess that's true if some of those new players aren't really interested in knowing the game well, leaving when they have a bad experience. I'm appealed by the challenge of improving my game to play better, in any games. Having good players in a server would be a faster way to see how things can work and can go wrong.

Making them look good by playing easy on them won't do much more than allow them to waste a bigger mech. They won't learn much that way.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" Šokaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline Kelmola

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +62/-1
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 05:25:16 PM »
Dat feeling when you join the side that is losing...

...then you look at the scoreboard and see that you only recognize a couple of names on your side and over half of the names on the other ::)

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-151
  • What's a matter, wolf got your ride?
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 09:50:22 PM »
Also answering newbs questions can help them feel like their part of the team (if their not too stupid)
Ferro-Fibrous armor deflecting insults and protecting from damage since 2571.

I am The wolf Chosen of Kerensky. As a  Warden clansmen i protect those who cannot fight for themselves and seek only to find peace in humanity. The Wolf's Dragoons were the spies of the clan sent by the clan wolf. It was through them that we  both realized that the inner sphere were people just like us.
Runway is the only one who can make it to Khan rank without ever moving.
Do not mess with the runway, runway always wins.

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +80/-1
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 09:59:41 PM »
Also answering newbs questions can help them feel like their part of the team (if their not too stupid)

That requires them to ask said questions first.
Sadly, most "noobs" are afraid of being outed as such.
And asking a (stupid) question DOES out you as a "newbie".

In soviet clanspace, trinary bids you.

Offline Because people mistake me for someone else

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-9
  • Dispenser of Hate & Justice, unlimited ammo still
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 07:16:22 PM »
I also will suggest that veteran player not partake in the lolstomps this game has quite a large learning curve and it does take several days to get into it. its honestly not very fun for new players to constantly get stomped (been there my self years ago)
Im only saying this because I've seen quite a few rage quits and making people run away from the mod wont make things any better

Says the pilot that loves to fly his ASF into my AA-tanks to topple me on my back...GTFO, split-tongued cheeser-snake .... pffft

PLUS

What Kelmola said.... "i-win" factionists will be making sure to roflstomp you as hard as possible to fapp up your beginning romance with MWLL, cos "i-win" matterz !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0976embDvhY&feature=youtu.be
*Counterstacking by OneManArmy.dll*
"Why so hateful ?" "I am, and you are too"

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 10:49:56 PM »
The game is for winnin and not Rofl stomping  Rofl stomping makes people leave

I am The wolf Chosen of Kerensky. As a  Warden clansmen i protect those who cannot fight for themselves and seek only to find peace in humanity. The Wolf's Dragoons were the spies of the clan sent by the clan wolf. It was through them that we  both realized that the inner sphere were people just like us.

Offline Hawkeyes52

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 08:50:17 AM »
ok im sure this idea has been brought up before but i think the best thing for this mod to have is active admins on the servers. it would alleviate many of the problems people have with it.
no roflstomps, the admin could just force a teamswitch
bad map? just skip to the next
some guy trolling? ban him
many of the things that turn new people off to the game (vets and ... well mostly vets either their attitude or the skill disparity) can be mitigated heavily by a few, or hell at this point just one, admin(s) to regulate games.

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 05:00:30 PM »
agreed an respectable admin who is not likely to  partake in Rofl stomping would be able to tell when it's happening and switch out players to another team  (i have seen games where the teams seemed purposely unbalanced.) and a respectable admin should be able to deal with this

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-1
  • But mom said it was MY turn to post!
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 10:18:52 PM »
I would gladly moderate any server, but all the pub servers are run by or clan units (which I don't particularly care for), and my unit's server is private; mostly because Verde has more or less taken over itself.

"That door leads to Ravenholm. We don't go to Ravenholm anymore."
SPARKLE

PARTY