Author Topic: Mechwarrior Online NDA lifted  (Read 160579 times)

Offline Deathbane

• MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +165/-14
  • Fun now allowed
Mechwarrior Online NDA lifted
« on: October 03, 2012, 03:07:07 PM »
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/56176-take-your-best-shot/page__pid__1130260#entry1130260

Discuss how the games shattered your dreams here, now the draconian measures have been lifted.

After several weeks of playing and trying to like the game, ive decided I cant.  tested it for about a week, and the only thing I can see going for it is the animation work which seems good. The economy is a broken mess, the out of game GUI one of the worst ive ever used and mechlab broken with catapults firing gauss slugs out of machine gun slots.

The actual mech combat isnt bad, and alot of fun can be found in it. The cockpits and freelook are pretty awesome, I only wished the heat sink readouts etc worked. However, like the rest of it needs alot of work. Being able to lock onto people that others are scanning without C3 obviously negates any need to have sensor electronics installed. Being able to ram enemy mechs over is a plus though.

The maps are not impressive. Ive seen more impressive community MWLL maps than the ones offered here. The maps are small, and only River City is arguably of any real quality followed closely by caustic valley. Frozen city needs alot of work visually, and forest canyon or whatever it is plays horrendously.

Seriously believe that any release within the next six months is simply to try grab dollar rather than complete the product. The scale is small, and they have not tried to bring an MMO feeling to it. As it stands, its a clone of world of tanks that does make for fun small scale mech battles.

However its incredibly frustrating, considering its a paid team and much more could have been done with the IP. I just hope we get the house / house metagame they promised, otherwise its completed missed the mark as far as im concerned.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 03:24:07 PM by Deathbane »
"Arguing about battlemechs off the field of battle is like arguing as a spheroid, even if you win, you're still a freebirth!"

'It's too bad they don't have a "Report to Mother button", I bet you'd be slapping that one twenty-four-seven so she'd come dry your tears when your own idiocy leads you to failure in a game on the internet.' - dimachaerus

New idea- would I be able to use an external hard drive to add RAM and/or improve gigahertz?

Offline Xesle

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +84/-19
  • Git gud scrubs
Re: Mechwarrior Online NDA lifted
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 03:20:14 PM »
I played enough to by a K2 Catapult, then the next day an update came out and I lost my mech.  I've not played since.  I was intending to try the Gauss config, and I was initially confused about how to mount the rifles since the arms are energy weapons only.  I never thought they'd fit in the torso. 

Also, I'm sure some of you have already seen this, but for those who haven't....

Prodigal son my ass.

Offline Deathbane

• MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • Fun now allowed
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 03:26:13 PM »
I played enough to by a K2 Catapult, then the next day an update came out and I lost my mech.  I've not played since.  I was intending to try the Gauss config, and I was initially confused about how to mount the rifles since the arms are energy weapons only.  I never thought they'd fit in the torso.

Yup they fit into the torso, thats how i made my two ac20 catapult that could 2 or 3 shot enemy mechs. Ever since the update you get under 100k cbills per match, making the game SUPER grindy.

I dont know if theyve patched the economy since then, but as it was a new player would need to play ~45 matches to afford a basic commando and then struggle to repair it without paying real money.

The mech designs are cool, and ive got to say the balance between classes feels good. I hope they really open the game up going forward as at the moment it feels small and restrictive, and coupled with the most frustrating out of game GUI ive ever had to use has left a sour taste in my mouth after playing it for a few weeks.
"Arguing about battlemechs off the field of battle is like arguing as a spheroid, even if you win, you're still a freebirth!"

'It's too bad they don't have a "Report to Mother button", I bet you'd be slapping that one twenty-four-seven so she'd come dry your tears when your own idiocy leads you to failure in a game on the internet.' - dimachaerus

New idea- would I be able to use an external hard drive to add RAM and/or improve gigahertz?

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +85/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 03:34:45 PM »
i still says this feels like a cheap knock-off of WOT . .
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +156/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 03:44:20 PM »
Yup they fit into the torso, thats how i made my two ac20 catapult that could 2 or 3 shot enemy mechs. Ever since the update you get under 100k cbills per match, making the game SUPER grindy.

I dont know if theyve patched the economy since then, but as it was a new player would need to play ~45 matches to afford a basic commando and then struggle to repair it without paying real money.

They did.

Closed Beta Update #12
Upcoming Patch - Tuesday Sept 25th @ 10AM 1PM PDT

[...]

The economy has received a tuning pass and players should see between 50 and 100% increase in C-Bill rewards per match. Tuning will be ongoing until Open Beta.

Offline Deathbane

• MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • Fun now allowed
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 03:46:25 PM »
Fair one, ill have to see how it plays. Still think having to play 20 matches in a trial mech to buy a commando is a bit silly. You should get a token for one 'real' mech - trial mechs should be there for you to see how to spend your initial mech token.

Offline Gouty

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +137/-5
  • =CJW= Chief Whip
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 03:50:33 PM »
Don't you get "MC" to buy a 'mech with?
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"
If you take this seriously, you're some kind of mouth-breathing fappwit that shouldn't have survived infancy.

Offline Deathbane

• MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • Fun now allowed
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 03:52:16 PM »
Don't you get "MC" to buy a 'mech with?

Not since the account wipe.

Offline Ghogiel

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +60/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 03:52:35 PM »
Yeah I saw that. Not sure what they mean really by "We want to see it! Help us celebrate the crushing of the NDA with pictures of your own! "

But if they want help crushing the NDA here goes...

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=jagkuw&s=6

Anyway.

Gausscats are only goofy right now. Once DHS come in then ppcs will actually be as good and probably better in a lot of ways because they never have ammo problems, ppcs weight less than half as much, take half as many crits, have same range, And then you will have all kinds of mechs with 3-4 ERPPCs that will be viable. You can make a catapult prime build with 3 erppcs and it'll run cool as ice. Same damage output as a gauss cat. The weapons are again in side torsos. No ammo problems. Cry more.

LRMs are actually more powerful overall imo. Nearly all other team builds can be countered by a well coordinated LRM spam.

Also the chain firing something like 4x ssrm2s is actually kind of dope right now too. maximum screen shake. And besides the jenner or LRMing might be the best counter to the Gcats... if you can get close enough that is. 

While the 45 games is still the accurate estimate on the grind to buy your first mech, the repairing and earning more money would be no problem even if you lose every match, never get a kill and die. You still would have enough to repair that thing. For now anyway...   :-\

edit: ok so that catapult doesn't have the hardpoints for that. But point is ER/LL and PPCs are going to get a big buff for mediums and heavy mechs with DHS. You'll get 10 heatsinks (20 if it's DHS) that come with the damn engine as standard. energy is going to start looking a lot more enticing.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 04:42:08 PM by Ghogiel »

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +85/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 03:53:02 PM »
still, MWLL is vastly superior to MWO, even without the MechLab in my eyes . . Maybe even because of the missing mechlab.
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline Kelmola

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +62/-1
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
The economy is a broken mess, the out of game GUI one of the worst ive ever used and mechlab broken with catapults firing gauss slugs out of machine gun slots.

Being able to lock onto people that others are scanning without C3 obviously negates any need to have sensor electronics installed.

The maps are small
ac20 catapult that could 2 or 3 shot enemy mechs. Ever since the update you get under 100k cbills per match, making the game SUPER grindy.

Nearly all other team builds can be countered by a well coordinated LRM spam.

45 games is still the accurate estimate on the grind to buy your first mech
Thank you, now I won't have to pay for this and can stay with MWLL instead.

Offline JLZ

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-6
  • m e l e r s k i
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 05:25:22 PM »
I don't like how the mechs look. All stocky and beefy.
I want the old school battletech look.

The maps I've played feel very small and cramped. Also none gave me the "alien planet" atmosphere most of the MWLL maps do.

Haven't played MWO very much, because it doesn't run well on my machine.
Even at the lowest settings & no AA, the game isn't playable (stutters). Is that normal with these specs?
C2D E8400 @3,5GHz
3,5GB RAM WinXP 32bit (<---maybe it's the 2GB limit)
nV 560SE 1GB (1366x768)

Although I knew I would prefer MWLL over MWO before I played it, I want to give it a chance, and be open minded. Untill now though I haven't had much fun with MWO. Maybe I will get to like it sometime. But I have left it out of my gaming menu for now. Currently MWLL wins big time IMHO.

Blinky lights in the mech bay are cool though. Want them in MWLL. ;)

Offline Cik

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +55/-2
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 05:31:38 PM »
game's alright, but as it is there is no metagame, and the WOT-like drops don't do anything for me. with no dedicated servers, there is no clans really either, which is horrible. it's not a terrible game as it is, but it needs a lot of work.

note: the deliberate strangling of and keeping the community in the dark was not a good move. the messianic reputation of the game to all the non-beta people seemed to me to be deliberate. i was not amused with it.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 05:37:09 PM »
I agree MWO in its current and near future form are just MW4 with a face lift when it comes to "customization".

Boating is STILL the way to load out. I play almost exclusively with Jenners and do a ridiculous amount of overall damage just boating 4 small lasers.

I'll flat out say that any MWLL vets can pick up MWO and in about 2-3 match can figure out how to STOMP THE SHIT out of the vast majority of MWO players. Yes, the "mech feel" is just that similar, the two retical system only takes a little bit of getting used to. At the same time the game very much SUFFERS from MW4 style defensive LRM/Gauss turtling when it comes to premades. You'll have a few that will actually do a light/medium blitz, but those are far and few between.

So far you can file me in the camp that expected a lot more out of a paid dev studio.  That being said, it's pretty unfair to compare MWLL and MWO against each other right now.  MWLL has had way more content/bug fix patches where as MWO is still very unfinished.  I would fully EXPECT MWO to be much better in a year.

If any of  your are in Cbeta, add me to your list.  I wouldn't mind teaming up with some other MWLL vets to REALLY show them what a premade team stomp looks like :3

Offline Ghogiel

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +60/-0
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 05:50:46 PM »
Thank you, now I won't have to pay for this and can stay with MWLL instead.
I do recommend trying once it is launched. It is worth a go at least, being f2p. Ok so you have to play like 8hrs to buy your first mech to actually start playing properly and use the mechlab... that is kinda stupid. but it's worth a look at to make up your own mind.

It may seem that it is utter shite by some of the crit I and others can lay down on it, but it's not that badly broken, I can sum up pretty much every negative about it, peoples complaints can mostly be summed up as follows> some valid to a degree, most are not simply because they are known features that are not yet in the game. 

Guasscats WTFPWN (substitute LRM rage, Laser rage, Assaultmech online, or the now nerfed XL300 laser hunchbacks that got nerfed.)
Dragon bowling
Grindy grind for your first mech
Shitty Performance/Netcode
Small not so great maps, and only 4 of them
Not enough mechbeard
Too much mechbeard
Not enough MW4
TDM/ base capture the only game mode
No meta game

Did I miss any whiners?