Author Topic: Mechwarrior Online NDA lifted  (Read 170437 times)

Offline Cik

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +55/-2
Re: Mechwarrior Online NDA lifted
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2012, 08:31:01 PM »
maybe i'm missing something here, but isn't it mathmatically impossible to have more than half of your community with a positive KDR? because, well if one side kills way more than the other, than it is impossible for the other side to have more kills than deaths? or am i missing something above my fifth grade math, because that is very possible.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +158/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 08:42:34 PM »
maybe i'm missing something here, but isn't it mathmatically impossible to have more than half of your community with a positive KDR? because, well if one side kills way more than the other, than it is impossible for the other side to have more kills than deaths? or am i missing something above my fifth grade math, because that is very possible.

Well if one portion of a player base has a KDR of > 1 then the other portion must have < 1 overall. If 90% of the player base has a KDR of > 1 then the other 10% must be really, really bad and die a lot before they kill anything ;).

That being said... the overall KDR of the community tells you exactly nothing without going into specifics.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 08:56:24 PM »
K/D means nothing, the more useful stat would be average amount of damage dealt per match.  When I'm on, i'm in the thousand+ range in my jenner with just 4 small lasers.  Bad/lolz build days I'm dead before I can break 100

Offline Serious Table

• Alphatester
  • Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-2
  • Seriously.
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 08:58:18 PM »

Because the matches are capture point, a game can be won without a single mech being lost (or a single shot being fired), which is why a greater portion of the community can have a positive k/d spread, even if the bottom half doesn't match up.
Advocate of Versatility.

Offline Toth

• Project Director
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +107/-0
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2012, 09:03:09 PM »
I know I'm biased, but I'm just not excited for MWO at this point. Its not bad, I just don't see that it brings too much to the table beyond the meta game stuff. The sad thing is all the features that have been developed for MWLL that will never be in MWO, and will therefore never be experienced by a vast majority of MWO players. Tons of little simulation aspects and visuals that are greatly streamlined in MWO. I still can't believe that no one cares about mechs just clipping through trees as if they aren't there.

It also makes me sad to see the amount of hate by MWO players for MWLL. I read on those forums and it just blows my mind how much arrogance and ignorance there is.

Offline Masakari

• I wont forgot to brung it next time :downs:
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +35/-1
  • Better safe than sorry.
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2012, 09:11:58 PM »
Played for about 10 mins. Ain't got shit on MWLL, only thing I wish we had of theirs is their player count :(

I did like that big spacecraft on rivet city. Also, whats with the scenery being static?

How i play this is it just for making it or playing and making it

Sherrell's legs...

Offline Ghogiel

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +60/-0
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2012, 09:13:06 PM »

Before the last wipe my KDR was around 10. I had like 150+ kills and 15 deaths. Now this time I have exclusively pugged every game and it's only at 3.5. 

Basically the vast bulk of the kills that happen are concentrated in fewer players.

Offline Ghogiel

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Captain
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2012, 09:16:30 PM »
K/D means nothing, the more useful stat would be average amount of damage dealt per match.  When I'm on, i'm in the thousand+ range in my jenner with just 4 small lasers.  Bad/lolz build days I'm dead before I can break 100

That just means you are a bad shot.

I have 1 shotted 4 mechs in about 30secs from head shots and get about 120 damage from that.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2012, 09:20:38 PM »
:P i'm not piloting a gauss cat, I'm scamping around in my jenner.  I'm generally trying to pick off limbs and components for the XP not going for kills :D

Offline Hawkeyes52

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2012, 09:22:28 PM »
go in the beta like 2 weeks ago, tried it, hated it, came back to MWLL. its clunky and not very fun (to me anyways) never been a fan of the free reticule and I'll probably be one of the people who play with theirs locked.

Overall, MWLL is a vastly superior game except maybe in graphics/animations but thats to be expected

Offline Zaro27

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-0
  • Nicest Motherfapper Here
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2012, 09:25:24 PM »
Game sucks. It's like a piece of shit covered in chrome and diamonds. Looks kinda cool in a shitty way, probably costs a fapping ton, but it's still shit. It's not super fun if you aren't going to fork over actual cash moneys to get more stuff. The three free mechs ain't horrible unless you're going up against one of the super-boaty designs, then you're fapped.

It feels too much like COD:Mech Ops if I'm being honest. The fanbase salivates over the time to kill and shits on other, similar games that have more vehicles and jets and tanks and shit. It doesn't feel stompy enough. Fast mechs are sort of the exception, not the rule. Maybe this game is just too fast for what I consider to be a mech game.
I want to put a bullet between the eyes of every panda that won't screw to save it's species. I want to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all those French beaches I'll never see. I want to breathe smoke. I want to destroy something beautiful.

Offline CapperDeluxe

• MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +162/-0
  • Life is cheap, mechs are expensive.
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2012, 09:27:09 PM »
I like it ok, but it definitely needs the community warfare (inner sphere map, territories to conquer, etc) to bring the games together, random team deathmatches get stale after so long.

Offline Ghogiel

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Captain
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »
It was a joke.
being damage leader most games is a better indicator of how good you are.

I still think I am just playing with and against scrubs almost every game so it's hard to tell how good I am.

The part about head shotting 4 mechs in a row is true though. I'm starting to get the cockpit shots on the atlas' down.. kinda. I got a few today. It's JUST a tiny bit above the left eye. I swear I can see the look of disbelief on their faces as they come lumbering around a corner, they see a flash and the lights just go out. I've been one shotted before and it really is jarring. I got hit by a good player in a atlas at about 400m with 2x ppc.

Offline eRkkituo

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +48/-6
  • Clan Jade Wolf (SCM). Resident ninja developer.
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2012, 09:30:28 PM »
I've been in the beta for MWO since June.  Since that time I've seen it gradually go downhill in quality to the point where it is now.  I still hold out hope as the community is large and their early Founders introduction was strategically timed to the 0.6 patch in MWLL (those sly bastards) killing off all our servers.  >:(

Since playing it for so long, I've decided (early on) that MWLL is easily superior in every way save for the animations of the Mechs which are awesome and the free reticle.  Otherwise, you guys pwn it hard.

My only wish now is to get the MWLL community back.  I try to post about MWLL in the beta whenever I can but ppl seem to trash it without giving it a fair shot.

free reticule is pretty neat.

Aye, but then again MWLL is going to have that as well - with toggleable modes.
http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/2012-05/mechwarrior-living-legends-video-media-release-free-reticle-system/

Also AC20cats wtfpwn everything, including atlases. Play opportunistically enough with one and you can literally have every kill in a match. Tried and true.

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-6
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2012, 09:43:25 PM »
I know I'm biased, but I'm just not excited for MWO at this point. Its not bad, I just don't see that it brings too much to the table beyond the meta game stuff. The sad thing is all the features that have been developed for MWLL that will never be in MWO, and will therefore never be experienced by a vast majority of MWO players. Tons of little simulation aspects and visuals that are greatly streamlined in MWO. I still can't believe that no one cares about mechs just clipping through trees as if they aren't there.

It also makes me sad to see the amount of hate by MWO players for MWLL. I read on those forums and it just blows my mind how much arrogance and ignorance there is.

Bryan Ekman is on public record as saying destructibles in the form of smaller props and some vegetation will be added. We shall see.

The one aspect of MWO map making I do like is the use of collision proxies around object and entity groupings that prevent, in most cases, the "tripping" or "stopping" of mechs. Their 3D artists have included the collision proxies in the terrain models.

One area I do not like is the ability of mechs to climb very steep terrain slopes. This looks and feels, from the cockpit perspective, to be unrealistic and bogus, even if it does enhance mech mobility and game play.

There is much room for improvement, over all.

So far ... so good.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 01:06:44 AM by Aidan »

Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz, AMD/ATI HD6990 LCS, Catalyst Control Center V12.8, 6GB Tri-Channel Dram, 640GB HD, 128GB SSD, DirectX 11,  Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Corsair 1200 Watt Power Supply, Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU.