Author Topic: Snowblind... Or, that one snowy map with all the trees.  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-1
  • But mom said it was MY turn to post!
Snowblind... Or, that one snowy map with all the trees.
« on: October 19, 2012, 01:51:15 AM »
Whichever it was. You know, the one with the patches of trees everywhere and the technicolor snow?

Has anyone else noticed incredibly bad (read: evil) FPS drops on this map? Whenever I look at more than one forest (read: about 80% of my time on the map), my FPS drops to about 4. I know I need to upgrade my VRam, only running on a half-gig Nvidia 9 series card, but still, it's literally the ONLY map I lag on, and I don't want to spend $200 on a new graphics card for one map.

Could you guys possibly add some LoD models and clipping distances to the trees? So far I have died about 20 times because I can't aim at the giant tank/mech just standing in front of me mashing Mouse1.
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
Re: Snowblind... Or, that one snowy map with all the trees.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 03:18:34 AM »
You probably mean Frostbite. Yes, do flying for the ultimate challenge on that map. :P

What also leaves my FPS crawling is that smoke from the buildings that appear when you join the map. In TSA Frostibe, on the same buildings with the black smoke, its much lighter on the performance hit. Or maybe its related to the rest of the stuff around in the TC version.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline TOMTOM

• The subarashi magical
  • Senior Developer
  • MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +43/-0
  • Lost in 3d Space/time
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 03:44:12 AM »
ok tree lods(level of detail) are the problem finalizer and goghiel are working on that and we will have that tested to see if it improves, and commit!
I hate you BA so stop moving and let me SHOOT YOU!!!!

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 03:48:28 AM »
The smoke in this game [Crysis Wars smoke?] really murders my framerate no matter which map it is. I've learned to try and stay away from the center base in Deathvalley if I can.

Offline Ressk [CSF]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +72/-2
  • Khan of [CSF]
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 03:49:51 AM »
ok tree lods(level of detail) are the problem finalizer and goghiel are working on that and we will have that tested to see if it improves, and commit!

what about smoke type particle effects?

inferno for all its smokeynss works fine, but some smokestacks are nutz on FPS.

and good news on the trees.
Recruitment Page For CSF

click the pic /\
ULLER4LYFE! the internet hates CSF

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 04:39:07 AM »
Interesting. Smoke doesn't eff me up either.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +158/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 11:14:45 AM »
Yeah, please do something about the smoke. For me it's playable and most of the time unnoticeable in combat on my Radeon HD 6950. But when I consciously watch for it, the drop in FPS is enormous when looking at the smoke, especially when you zoom in. (When the map starts and you are in the spectator position, you can test it easily. Huge FPS drop when looking directly at the smoke while nothing else is going on. Regular FPS when looking away from it.) Same story on TC_DeathValley.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 12:55:01 PM »
Out of curiosity does a smoking mech have the same effect?
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +86/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 01:23:49 PM »
And if the smoke is a particle effect, could that maybe be mitigated by putting the particle effects setting to the lowest possible priority or some autoexec.cfg shenanigans?
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +158/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 01:39:42 PM »
Probably, haven't tried, though I don't really want to set it lower just because of the damn smoke :D.

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +86/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 01:43:52 PM »
for overall better FPS? O.o
particle effects are used for more than just smoke, if i am not mistaken.
PPC, Gauss, AC, Missles, Hits on Stuff . .
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline Adamar

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +10/-0
  • Still trying to work out how much those 3mins cost
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 06:30:16 PM »
Probably, haven't tried, though I don't really want to set it lower just because of the damn smoke :D.

I'm pretty sure particles was shown to have one of the best performance gains/appearance ratio, so I'm not sure why you're so adamant about it.

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 07:36:03 PM »
It's not just Spooky that is adamant about it; three other people (including me) have posted that there is a massive detriment to FPS around smoke.

In my case, I cannot possibly set particle effects any lower, unless they were turned off completely. But no, smoking 'mechs don't cause the same slowdown, though that's probably due to the sheer difference in the amount of smoke a 'mech is emitting than a grouping of smokestacks are.

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 08:34:03 PM »
Ok I went to check it, and I don't just blame the smoke now. Here's a scene in TC Frostibe where it destroys my FPS. If I focus only in the smoke, eh it handles it reasonably well. In DeathValley, two areas with smoke and without smoke don't impact that much, FPS wise.

TSA Frostbite does seems to perform better, and even in the distance, but perhaps its just the increased size of the new Frostbite that makes things worse, or some other odd thing.

My GPU (9800GT) was never starved of VRAM in those screenshots, with about 200MB room left, and it was with the Low settings.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 09:01:06 PM »
Are you sure you're GPU bound and not CPU bound?