Author Topic: The Corsair.  (Read 6786 times)

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-1
  • But mom said it was MY turn to post!
The Corsair.
« on: October 30, 2012, 11:27:35 PM »
People say "Oh, just land nose up, about 2 pitch, and you'll be fine!"

No, I won't. About 90% of my deaths in an aero-heavy game come from runway deaths, and all of those runway deaths are from using the Corsair. People then say "Oh, use the Sulla instead, it lands perfectly fine." Well, people seem to LOOOVE Puretech, no matter how much I hate it for this specific reason.

Pretty much all of the Corsair's issues stem from it's gods damned Ventral Fin. It's supposed to "Only extend in the air," but it doesn't.

Let's see when it extends:
-About 50% of the time, when you power up your corsair in the Aerobay, you jump about 10m in the air, hit the roof of the hangar, and explode spectacularly.
-When landing, about 50% of the time, the fin will extend, drive a wing into the runway, and cause a critical explosion.
-Often, while powering up or powering down on the runway, the fin will randomly extend, drive the nose into the ground, and you will die.
-While landing, the fin sometimes remains extended, causing you to go face-first and explode.

Conclusion: Either give us control of the landing gear with a toggle switch, or remove the ventral fin. It's ANNOYING to end up at the end of the match with 10 deaths, no kills, and all because the runway decided it wants it's lunch NOW. I'm sorry for being so brash, but it really is aggravating.
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
Re: The Corsair.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 12:02:51 AM »
We are in the process of adding manual landing gear deploy/retract controls to the game for aerospace.

Offline Ressk [CSF]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +72/-2
  • Khan of [CSF]
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 12:17:30 AM »
ive actually never had much trouble landing the corsair personally... ive got more problems with the sulla than anything.

or maybe im just jaded from crashing so much :P
Recruitment Page For CSF

click the pic /\
ULLER4LYFE! the internet hates CSF

Offline Vlaad

• Lead Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-1
  • 80 percent human
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 03:57:34 AM »

Mars, corsair deploys landing gear in 70 frames and retracts it in same time period. Both bottom fins are retracted from flight position to position in 35 frames (~1 second) and in that time they are inside your fuselage. When compared to Sulla, in the same time frame, does not put out its lading gear thus you would crash. They start to deploy in ~50 meters from the ground in ~<160 km/h. Thus, you think wrong that the fin is the problem.
These are parameters and how the game handles it (just to secure myself from future "but i landed  other plane conversations"). I animated Visigoth to do the same thing, and pretty much only difference is that Visigoth has longer landing gear, inherited from cbt model.

Here is what you should try to do:

-keep speed at ~160 on 50m height for 1.5 seconds and then cut throttle. Try to level your plane normally when angled to the ground. You will land 100%.

In current beta and on the tests, both Visigoth and Corsair are easy to land for me. Admittedly MWLL has rather steep curve on planes... Sometimes people get excited and forget how to land properly. Fire up your own server and practice a bit, its really easy once you get a hang of it.  :)
pew-pew

Offline TOMTOM

• The subarashi magical
  • Senior Developer
  • MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +43/-0
  • Lost in 3d Space/time
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 02:15:13 PM »

-keep speed at ~160 on 50m height for 1.5 seconds and then cut throttle. Try to level your plane normally when angled to the ground. You will land 100%.

In current beta and on the tests, both Visigoth and Corsair are easy to land for me. Admittedly MWLL has rather steep curve on planes... Sometimes people get excited and forget how to land properly. Fire up your own server and practice a bit, its really easy once you get a hang of it.  :)

I can land it and i dont even know how to fly  ::)
I hate you BA so stop moving and let me SHOOT YOU!!!!

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 02:19:15 PM »
Vlaad, I'm not saying I can't land consistently with a Coreair or Visigoth, I aerocap with them on some maps!

It's just after I land on the runway that's the problem. I mean, my normal approach is to hoer above the runway for 2-6 seconds depending on runway length, cut all engine power, and smoothly drop to the ground at 1 degrees pitch. I always do this and never deviate. Once I'm on the runway, however, reloading and all that good stuff, my Corsair like to jump in the air and land explosively. Same goes for any time I'm on the runway really.

Whenever I plow face-first into the runway, I feel as though there is something wrong when I hit the ground, but when I check my landing procedure, I'm fine. Then I explode.
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline Vlaad

• Lead Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-1
  • 80 percent human
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 02:40:29 PM »
Ill see you on the beta server, or ill fire one up and we can have few landing tests. If its that much broken, ill look into readjusting some values/models. But thingie that you are describing is pointing to runway... Im no mapper, all see if we can have few tests in alpha. Not sure if it can help, but check fps/settings I noticed far less/no plane crashes on my build when having smoother performance.
pew-pew

Offline KH Zalaran

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-1
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 08:58:05 PM »
ill have to agree on with Vlaad on this problem each plane has different characteristics and thus need different landing settings and having a smoother performance does make a rather large difference in landings ive noticed that i cant land a visigoth with less than 20 fps it just craps out and explodes on me

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 09:23:51 PM »
Okay, so here's what I've found in a calm play through.
1. The Runway is really bouncy, which is the reason for most of my deaths
2. Landing gear takes a realistic amount of time to deploy, but needs to begin deploying at a higher altitude
3. Landing gear doesn't appear to take any impact damage. At all. I found this out on TC_Inferno when I was being chased by a fighter plane while RTBing in an FBomb Sulla. I flew through one of the arches near center base, and my pursuer exploded gloriously. I realized I was actually on the ground when I heard the telltale sound of Aeros moving quickly on the ground. It was fun.

So, I'm curious... A 'deploy landing gear' button has been on the list for how long? A few years?

What's so hard about replacing the "if plane is below X altitude then deploy landing gear" logic with "if <key> then toggle landing gear"? I'm not accusing anyone, I'm just curious.
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline KH Zalaran

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-1
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 10:33:49 PM »
I would like too see a green indicator light saying the gear is down that would be nice.
We have them in our Cessna 172RG's

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-151
  • What's a matter, wolf got your ride?
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 10:58:47 PM »
ive actually never had much trouble landing the corsair personally... ive got more problems with the sulla than anything.

or maybe im just jaded from crashing so much :P
i donno i can never seem to land a sulla all the time either... but for the time being
Runway is the only one who can make it to Khan rank without ever moving.
Do not mess with the runway, runway always wins.
Ferro-Fibrous armor deflecting insults and protecting from damage since 2571.

I am The wolf Chosen of Kerensky. As a  Warden clansmen i protect those who cannot fight for themselves and seek only to find peace in humanity. The Wolf's Dragoons were the spies of the clan sent by the clan wolf. It was through them that we  both realized that the inner sphere were people just like us.

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 03:15:34 AM »
I would like too see a green indicator light saying the gear is down that would be nice.

This would fix all the problems in the world.
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 03:43:33 AM »

This would fix all the problems in the world.
Two mech arms up!

I am The wolf Chosen of Kerensky. As a  Warden clansmen i protect those who cannot fight for themselves and seek only to find peace in humanity. The Wolf's Dragoons were the spies of the clan sent by the clan wolf. It was through them that we  both realized that the inner sphere were people just like us.

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 07:50:31 PM »
I want to bump this thread every time I loose an important Aero to the runway, but I would probably be banned for spamming...
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 08:14:07 PM »

Mars, corsair deploys landing gear in 70 frames and retracts it in same time period. Both bottom fins are retracted from flight position to position in 35 frames (~1 second) and in that time they are inside your fuselage. When compared to Sulla, in the same time frame, does not put out its lading gear thus you would crash. They start to deploy in ~50 meters from the ground in ~<160 km/h. Thus, you think wrong that the fin is the problem.
These are parameters and how the game handles it (just to secure myself from future "but i landed  other plane conversations"). I animated Visigoth to do the same thing, and pretty much only difference is that Visigoth has longer landing gear, inherited from cbt model.

Here is what you should try to do:

my issue is mostly when i'm in a hurry to fbomb some mech i had already hit.