Author Topic: Clan light mechs  (Read 12999 times)

Offline C.Falcon

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-1
Re: Clan light mechs
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2013, 10:42:22 AM »
The problem there is that there are almost no seriously cheap weapons other than LBX right now, and since the Oro has very little room for guns (no more than two big guns and two tiny ones), there isn't much that fits. If the weapon mounts permit you could perhaps get a 2xcUAC10 variant, but as things stand that'd be pretty underwhelming in the firepower department, even if you were able to fit medium lasers in the support weapon mounts (which you may well not be able to).
The next patch is going to rework the autocannons, which could mean that any variant with an (U)AC20 as a primary weapon will need to be redone itself....
The AC10 would be my favorite weapon in battletech, but apparently the internet itself holds it back.
What is this thread about again? Right, puretech.official
Anyway i understand that IS is always supposed to have the armor price advantage but as it stands if the clanners dont push their wealth to one person they dont have a cha

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2013, 11:59:08 PM »
With the Stormcrow and Black Lanner, that's somewhat less true for the Clan team (it certainly was before, to push from Shadowcat to something bigger) now than it was, the Stormcrow is a very capable fighter, I love it. If anything, it probably needs to go up in price a bit (it is damn effective) and have a 50 tonner put in before it using the general workhorse theme as well to provide more linear progression. That or an unstoppable wall of Clan Mediums, but that's technically better than a double-unstoppable wall of Clan Assaults with medium support, right?

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-151
  • What's a matter, wolf got your ride?
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2013, 11:28:14 AM »
clan doesn't need assaults just heavies and under to take on the innersphere (mostly because thier heavies can take on  innersphere assaults :P how many assaults do the clan have in total from canon?
Ferro-Fibrous armor deflecting insults and protecting from damage since 2571.

I am The wolf Chosen of Kerensky. As a  Warden clansmen i protect those who cannot fight for themselves and seek only to find peace in humanity. The Wolf's Dragoons were the spies of the clan sent by the clan wolf. It was through them that we  both realized that the inner sphere were people just like us.
Runway is the only one who can make it to Khan rank without ever moving.
Do not mess with the runway, runway always wins.

Offline okaolias

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +13/-2
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2013, 02:59:40 PM »
Two UAC-10s are in no way underwhelming in the firepower department, it's just that they aren't very easy to use. If you do manage to keep them on target long enough they can shred people at a very good range. It might have been worth a look, but we don't know how UACs are gonna change with the next patch.

Still, the Oro's weirdness is a combination of price, role and being a tank. Adding an even cheaper Oro variant doesn't do much for the rest of them. I still think a small speed increase would be enough. It's not all that faster than the Demolisher for the weight difference, and it still won't be able to catch up to the vast majority of mechs, but it will feel significantly less ponderous than the other tanks.

Offline Fogel

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +12/-1
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
Clan will be at a disadvantage for quite awhile at the start of puretech matches (assuming equal skill teams), and unless IS gets some new fancy toys in the higher price brackets it should probably remain that way. IS has to push their advantage early on because once Clan starts fielding mediums and heavies IS is now at a serious disadvantage. Clan can bring equal or greater firepower to bear with much more speed. The obvious exception is the smaller maps such as thunderrift.

Offline Ch3m1kal

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +59/-2
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2013, 04:34:27 PM »
I mostly see a clan advantage in really late game with enough funds for daishis, blood asps and some of the more expensive mad cats. In the middle game bushies are easily a match for clan meds and avatars are cheap enough to show up at the same time, and if you mix in some demos the clan team is already in trouble.
Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-1
  • But mom said it was MY turn to post!
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2013, 08:49:37 PM »
Are we still arguing about this? Can't we just agree that all BT games are balanced asymmetrically? Hasn't this been stated eighty billion times on this forum?
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline C.Falcon

• Bondsman
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2013, 09:34:05 PM »
Are we still arguing about this? Can't we just agree that all BT games are balanced asymmetrically? Hasn't this been stated eighty billion times on this forum?

Assymmetrical balance is the best team deathmatch format IMO because it lets you fight for a side instead of just res/blue.
But its on the small scale of skirmishes and battle fronts, not just the whole match... if that were the case the IS would always push for early game exterminations and the clans would turtle until they have the money to wipe out the IS.
The early game should be the clans playing defensively (depending on map ofc) not just sniping from their base.

the clans could get a starting tank and the IS would still have the early game advantage with just partisans and harassers.
I think at least a 50k oro would do it. In fact give the AA huit to the oro and make a different cheap. huit. Well... maybe AA oro wpuld be ugly. How cheap could you make an AC20 oro with support weapons, even just two mguns

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-151
  • What's a matter, wolf got your ride?
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2013, 12:58:01 AM »
i saw the new lights glad we get some more 6  varients per mech is kinda boring.
Ferro-Fibrous armor deflecting insults and protecting from damage since 2571.

I am The wolf Chosen of Kerensky. As a  Warden clansmen i protect those who cannot fight for themselves and seek only to find peace in humanity. The Wolf's Dragoons were the spies of the clan sent by the clan wolf. It was through them that we  both realized that the inner sphere were people just like us.
Runway is the only one who can make it to Khan rank without ever moving.
Do not mess with the runway, runway always wins.

Offline C.Falcon

• Bondsman
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2013, 05:01:33 AM »
ARES vs the CHEVALIER
In a world dominated by huge robotic war machines ... it is the zippiest that will survive.

An irritation ... is that the buzzing of a robo-mosquito? NO! Behold, it's a flying SXPL!!! also known as the ROBO-MOSQUITO!

And with all these variant changes i hope the chevy is getting redone as well. I am dumbfounded by but at least put up with the multitude of "contradictory variants" in MWLL (the king of them, the mighty Thor, at least seems to be refreshed), but the chevalier I thought had it the worst seeing as how it only ever carries two weapons anyway.
EXTENDED RANGE ppCANNON coupled with SHORT-RANGE Missiles?! At least the ltGauss+LRM5 variant are both long ranged weapons, but they are the two opposite types! one is burst damage and the other DPS ....
I was going to suggest some weapon swapping between variants (UAC5+LRM5 and PPC+ltGauss) but i forgot about weapon sizes and slots and such.

And what will become of the SPL+AC10 variant? hopefully its new AC10 will push it in the right direction. Would flamers and SPLs create a better melee-DPS chevy?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:05:30 AM by C.Falcon »

Offline Cindercat

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-1
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2013, 07:50:11 AM »
The Oro is one of those things that make more sense with puretech in mind. It carries some pretty lolzy firepower and can be great direct fire support, but nobody loves it :'(

I love it.  It would be my favorite unit if it wasn't for that strange backwards torque/turning glitch.  Oros basically can't turn while moving backwards while all other tanks get a huge turning bonus from pressing back and a direction at the same time.  This effectively makes it's stationary turning speed about the same as or worse than a demo despite the fact that otherwise it is the second most maneuverable tank.

As it is however, I can still beat most heavies and tanks, one-on-one, with an oro prime, B or E.