Author Topic: fusion engine  (Read 7028 times)

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-151
  • What's a matter, wolf got your ride?
Re: fusion engine
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2012, 05:54:53 PM »
Why people associate steam turbines with steampunk is something I'll never understand... :(.
because steampunk is STEAM. and the only way to change steam into energy besides using it like how a steam engine does is to use turbines.

"http://www.sarna.net" does mention   it make energy like the sun? but the only energy the sun releases is heat and Light so..... still doesn't make sense. Unless the inner walls of the fusion engine are lined with photo reactive material to absorb the light or somehow uses the heat for energy it still is not making sense.

Ferro-Fibrous armor deflecting insults and protecting from damage since 2571.

I am The wolf Chosen of Kerensky. As a  Warden clansmen i protect those who cannot fight for themselves and seek only to find peace in humanity. The Wolf's Dragoons were the spies of the clan sent by the clan wolf. It was through them that we  both realized that the inner sphere were people just like us.
Runway is the only one who can make it to Khan rank without ever moving.
Do not mess with the runway, runway always wins.

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2012, 06:04:53 PM »
It's just simple word association.  By the metric of turbine == steam punk almost all modern naval craft are "steam punk" as is the Abrahams M1 main battle tank and the Russian T80.

Still the idea of having a working model of the steam punkish humping robot from Robot Chicken game makes me giggle.

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2012, 06:07:41 PM »
It's just simple word association.  By the metric of turbine == steam punk almost all modern naval craft are "steam punk" as is the Abrahams M1 main battle tank and the Russian T80.

Still the idea of having a working model of the steam punkish humping robot from Robot Chicken game makes me giggle.
No i'm pretty sure the abrams is a jet powered tank..

I am The wolf Chosen of Kerensky. As a  Warden clansmen i protect those who cannot fight for themselves and seek only to find peace in humanity. The Wolf's Dragoons were the spies of the clan sent by the clan wolf. It was through them that we  both realized that the inner sphere were people just like us.

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2012, 06:09:34 PM »
Ahh but it's a jet TURBINE.   So if having a turbine makes it steam punk.  haha.

On the other hand, the A-10, my favorite jet ever, is a jet powered flying tank.  (I turned wrenches on them in the 1980s btw.  Beautiful up close.  The gun looks like something that belongs on a mech.) 

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2012, 06:14:06 PM »
JET Turbine not a Steam Turbine. I need to clarify only a STEAM[/b] turbine makes it steam punk. so yes boats are steampunk because they use steam gernated from the eltricity of a nuclear engine that produces steam somehow.

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2012, 06:30:59 PM »
JET Turbine not a Steam Turbine. I need to clarify only a STEAM[/b] turbine makes it steam punk. so yes boats are steampunk because they use steam gernated from the eltricity of a nuclear engine that produces steam somehow.

Nuclear subs too!  Oddly enough there are some modern diesel electric subs which are basically undetectable when running on electric power while submerged.  Throwback tech is often still a winner.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +156/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2012, 06:44:26 PM »
So yes boats are steampunk because they use steam gernated from the eltricity of a nuclear engine that produces steam somehow.

Oh good god. No ;).

The nuclear reactor generates energy in form of heat. The heat boils water and turns it into steam. The steam turns the turbine. The turbine turns a dynamo. The dynamo generates electricity by electromagnetic induction.

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2012, 07:44:03 PM »
I'm gonna complete that by throwing here an image of how a nuclear reactor works:

Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline [IPA] Avatar

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-4
  • Kiss me, I'm shitfaced!
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2012, 08:45:51 PM »
Ohholyshit, so much wrong here :D.

First of all, in engineering terminology, there is no such thing as a jet turbine. The jet engine uses a gas turbine to propel a vehicle. The high energy gases which exit from the turbine stage of the gas turbine (which is actually a compressor + a turbine+ a combustion chamber) push the vehicle forward. Jet engine have only a few turbine stages to drive the compressor.

Abrams is not a jet-powered tank. It too uses a gas turbine, but this time the gases which exit the combustion chamber pass through several turbine stages and the kinetic energy is extracted from a shaft (turboshaft engine).

I mostly associate piston steam engines with steam punk, because the steam turbine is not that clacking, steam belching kind of machine that I think fits the genre most.

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2012, 12:28:48 AM »
I still think as a race humanity needs to pull away from using steam to turn turbines.. and instead look for more efficent ways like solar power wind power.... stuff like that that doesn't need something to turn the motion to energy as some energy has to be lost in that process.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +156/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2012, 12:38:55 AM »
I still think as a race humanity needs to pull away from using steam to turn turbines.. and instead look for more efficent ways like solar power wind power.... stuff like that that doesn't need something to turn the motion to energy as some energy has to be lost in that process.

By "solar power" you probably mean photovoltaics. Which are currently still extremely inefficient (by comparison). Because the other type of big solar power plants again uses concentrated solar rays to heat up water, to turn it into steam, to turn turbines... ;).

Offline Terragent

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +43/-0
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2012, 01:44:17 AM »
I don't know why there's still confusion; the answer has already been posted in the thread, taken verbatim from the Tech Manual. Battlemech fusion reactors use magnetohydrodynamics to turn a dynamo directly, cutting out the turbine middleman.

For all the ribbing Battletech gets for being technologically backward when compared to the present day, they've at least learned how to generate electricity without boiling a kettle. ;)

Offline [IPA] Avatar

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-4
  • Kiss me, I'm shitfaced!
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2012, 01:05:53 PM »

Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about, and should educate yourself in the field before making statements like that.