Author Topic: Reasonable explanation for ammo feed inside a mech  (Read 4138 times)

Offline HVC

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +2/-0
Reasonable explanation for ammo feed inside a mech
« on: November 30, 2012, 06:51:51 PM »
You know you can place ammo inside the leg of a mech there are 1 or 2 criticals in legs (dont remember exactly) but somehow they are fed to your weapons which are clearly not in the legs. So has there ever been an explanation for this form BT or is it "just accept it as it is". This is also true for any weapon regardless of weapon, ammo locations. If you think about it how can the missiles of a catapult can be reloaded for next salvo?

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +125/-33
  • Cheese!
Re: Reasonable explanation for ammo feed inside a mech
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 06:56:16 PM »
The same way mechs got their magic muscles. A wizard did it.
My milk shakes!

Offline HVC

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 07:00:46 PM »
At least the muscles are explained by myomers. Although some mechs arms (mad cat) are too thin to accomodate internal structure and myomers and be covered by layers of armour.

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • Cheese!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 07:05:14 PM »
At least the muscles are explained by myomers. Although some mechs arms (mad cat) are too thin to accomodate internal structure and myomers and be covered by layers of armour.

The point I am trying to make is that, "this is battletech and sense is often not made" A friend said that.
My milk shakes!

Offline [IPA] Avatar

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-4
  • Kiss me, I'm shitfaced!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 07:29:21 PM »
"Magic muscles" aka myomers can be explained by let's say the advancement in electroactive polymer technology.

As for how the ammo can be transported from the leg to the gun in the arm/torso, I see only one possible explanation: fapping soccer tricks. A hatch opens on the mech's leg and the ammo falls out. When it reaches the feet, it's kicked in the air. Now comes the fun part. You have to maneuver your mech under the falling ammo to let it land right in the barrel. It's kinda like throwing a peanut up in the air and catching it with your mouth, just a bit more difficult, especially when you're trying to reload a missile boat.
This chain of movements requires extremely good coordination, that's why MechWarriors are considered an elite "caste" errywhere.

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-1
  • But mom said it was MY turn to post!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 05:04:07 AM »
The same reason a Raven can carry a Gauss Rifle in it's MGun Arm in MWO. The same reason the Sparrowhawk weighs way more than the Donar but packs peashooters for weapons...

The same reason you can shoot a mech in it's foot and cause a reactor explosion because the damage is automagically transferred to the torso. The same reason CERPPCs are balanced in TableTop. The same reason a RAC5 only weighs 2 tons more than an AC5 but is essentially 6 times the gun. The same reason mechs can fire recharging rocket-thrusters out of their ass and remain upright. The same reason a 100-ton metal Dinosaur-Turtle (Great Turtle) can somehow have those same bloody rocket-thrusters. Same goes for the Stone Rhino.

The same reason Clans have honor. The same reason people trust the Inner Sphere.

We don't bloody know. It probably has to do something with daemons.
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline S7alker117

• Apprentice Dev
  • Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +25/-0
    • My personal site
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 05:02:37 PM »
The same reason a Raven can carry a Gauss Rifle in it's MGun Arm in MWO. The same reason the Sparrowhawk weighs way more than the Donar but packs peashooters for weapons...

The same reason you can shoot a mech in it's foot and cause a reactor explosion because the damage is automagically transferred to the torso. The same reason CERPPCs are balanced in TableTop. The same reason a RAC5 only weighs 2 tons more than an AC5 but is essentially 6 times the gun. The same reason mechs can fire recharging rocket-thrusters out of their ass and remain upright. The same reason a 100-ton metal Dinosaur-Turtle (Great Turtle) can somehow have those same bloody rocket-thrusters. Same goes for the Stone Rhino.

The same reason Clans have honor. The same reason people trust the Inner Sphere.

Death to the false Emprah?
ASSUMING CONTROL OF THIS FORM

OO_OO

Offline DFDelta

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +145/-1
  • Wiki Staff
    • My Youtube page
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 08:21:12 PM »

Sorry

To actually say something on topic:
As Caco said, you can't drag any logic into the BTU. Most things will just crumble horribly if looked at with real life logics.

One of my favorites is that mechs would float in water like wood if they had their given size and only such little weight. (resulting in a very low density)
Join the MWLL wiki today, your contributions will make the wiki a better place.

In Lyran Commonwealth, Atlas scouts you.

Offline S7alker117

• Apprentice Dev
  • Recruit
    • My personal site
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 10:04:15 PM »
About that last point...

I actually had always thought that the Mech's armor was actually a very bulky honeycomb structure filled with ballistic foam which would vaporize when hit and, in this way, disperse much of the incomming fire. I dunno why I thought that, maybe it was something that made sense in my brain. But it would explaind, in a certain sense, the machine's bulk (modern tanks are very bulky in part due to the very thick armor), and the ballistic properties of the armor.

When someone explained me that it was actually a dense material only a few inches thick I was kinda disapointed.

The moral of the  story is... the universe doesn't makes that much sense. It's kinda sad actually.
ASSUMING CONTROL OF THIS FORM

OO_OO

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 10:28:24 PM »
Back on the topic of ammo feeds, maybe the mech uses its muscles to squeeze the ammo one round at a time through its limbs. Like some sort of bad-ass asshole that craps ammo.
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline Chezzar

• Lance Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 07:57:26 PM »
Back on the topic of ammo feeds, maybe the mech uses its muscles to squeeze the ammo one round at a time through its limbs. Like some sort of bad-ass asshole that craps ammo.

Some Designs show an ammo feed at least:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Blade

The rest got magic space inside the Armor...

I got the same problem with endo steel...they rebuild a whole crapload of mechs with this new structure after 3050. Lets see...you rip something out and replace it with something x times more bulky...that just can't fit. If you build for example a Trebutchet with endo steel, it would look very different. It would be a completely different mech...a reason i don't like endo steel refits.

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • Cheese!
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 08:19:51 PM »
You know why nothing ever done in BT canon ever bothered me? Because it's FICTION! WHEEEE!!!
My milk shakes!

Offline Kelmola

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +62/-1
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 03:55:38 AM »
IMMA CHARGING MAH PSYFLEMAN--- no wait.

Actually, there is a quite reasonable explanation. BT ammo requires no feeds, because it is not stored anywhere on the 'Mech. It is simply stored in a "pocket dimension" instead (as there is NO WAI the missile reloads will fit the missile racks, either, and NO WAI a cannon that has a diameter larger than a 'Mech's limb can have any reloads anywhere), each pocket dimension being a separate reality existing between the superstrings of our regular 11-dimensional multiverse, and the handwavium generators used to maintain these pocket dimensions are placed in the "critical slots" anywhere on a 'Mech. When you pull ammo from the "bin", ammo is actually teleported from the relevant "pocket dimension" directly to the weapon, or rather, the generator creates a stable non-singularity wormhole between the weapon and the pocket dimension and creates the illusion of gravity so that ammo will simply "fall" from the pocket dimension directly into the chamber. "Ammo explosions" are not actually ammo exploding, but the aforementioned generators exploding, and/or the pocket dimensions collapsing (comparable to the evaporation of a small black hole, which tends to produce a lot of oomph) and/or ammo as a result "falling" from the pocket universe into the real universe and exploding, too.

I hope you understood what I tried to explain. The film UltraViolet somehow managed to explain much more fluently and concisely a similar concept, namely how the eponymous protagonist was able to carry with her a veritable arsenal of weapons without them being visible, always dropping a fresh weapon into her hand from the "pocket dimension" or whatever it was called when required. I was actually too busy watching Ms. Jovovich's derriere to pay any attention to such trivialities. Correction, am too busy every time I watch the film again. The Director's Cut (haven't seen Theatrical Cut, but folks say it's terribad compared to DC) is actually pretty baws (for the aforementioned reason, and no, not the pocket dimension).

Then again, a 100-ton 15 metres tall walking robot makes no sense to begin with from either technical or tactical point of view...

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 04:46:32 AM »

Some Designs show an ammo feed at least:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Blade

I tried to model the Blade's ammo feed... It doesn't work. It actually has a pinch-point which an AC5 shell wouldn't be able to fit through.

So no, it's not an ammo feed... It must contain... Lube... For the gun...
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline Nebfer

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 09:26:22 AM »
I do not think Ammo feeds have ever been really explained, the only thing I have heard of is that the feed system is in fact part of the weapon, and the ammo bin is just ammo and it's container.