Author Topic: If This were Battletech...  (Read 3884 times)

Offline Terragent

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +44/-0
Re: If This were Battletech...
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 06:42:15 AM »
It *is* possible to knock yourself over with weapon recoil, but only with the Heavy Gauss and Improved Heavy Gauss, as far as I'm aware. Certainly not with autocannons.

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 06:48:44 AM »
I was about to say... How dumb would that be? >_>
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 07:10:10 AM »
It *is* possible to knock yourself over with weapon recoil, but only with the Heavy Gauss and Improved Heavy Gauss, as far as I'm aware. Certainly not with autocannons.

Any rule on a damaged gyro causing issues with recoil to be worse?

Offline Terragent

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +44/-0
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 07:45:12 AM »
Yes and no. A damaged gyro causes you to take a penalty on all piloting checks, but it has no specific interaction with Hgauss recoil - it's a blanket penalty that applies equally to all piloting checks.

Offline Brainwright

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +34/-2
  • AKA : Rotten
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 07:29:38 AM »
Good old real time shooter mechanic VS CBT turn based discussion. What we can do here? We can put CBT spirit into this game but common sense just stops us from getting closer. Some aspects can be used (like damage or heat ratio between weapons, some of mech stats etc) but it is definitely not turn based tabletop game.

Did you read the first post?  You can turn the statistics generated in a turn-based game into something like a shooter.  We're just currently limited more by previous standards set in other MechWarrior games and the industry in general.

For instance, it is right and proper that a good deal of flamers will put down anything that gets into range.  It is also right and proper that in order to outrun a mech backing up at full speed, such a flaming mech will need to run straight with little to no deviation, leaving it open to accurate fire.

This would contradict the run-up-and-shoot style of play that most players enjoy without a second thought, but it would also make tactics more important, leaving extreme close combat highly unpleasant and something most sane players would not want to join.

It's a completely different concept from any other game out there, thus it is hard to implement.  Though I do think the burst fire mechanic from the upcoming UAC changes will get it close.
Thanks for the view.

Offline EmyLightsaber

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-1
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 03:28:27 PM »
If this were Battletech... KingLeer would be KingKoopa, always kidnapping Bill and spiriting him away into the night.

Defender would be Aggressor or something anti-Defender. Probably Bill again.

I feel like Bill is our go-to guy for funny and deranged. Or more like Bill is Biff Tannen.

Not sure about Anastasius Focht, he might be the Death Star Janitor, always cleaning up our messes.

http://robotchicken.wikia.com/wiki/The_Janitor_on_the_Death_Star

Raise your quality standards as high as you can live with, avoid wasting your time on routine problems, and always try to work as closely as possible at the boundary of your abilities. Do this, because it is the only way of discovering how that boundary should be moved forward.

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:
Main point: "OH LOOK AT ME I'm A BIG STUPID MECH WITH A SILLY GUN AND I'M ALL AGILE AND GRACEFUL OH LOOK OVER THERE IT's A TR MAX...............................OH MY GOD I CAN LICK MY OWN KNEECAPS AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE MY SPINE IS."

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2012, 04:40:50 PM »
:// given that Biff was a massive misogynist and a potential rapist. Not to mention an all round bad egg and bit of a shite hawk I can't attest to being too fond of the comparison  :'(