Author Topic: Steadily Increasing Forbidden Area At End Game  (Read 3575 times)

Offline Bobby

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-2
Steadily Increasing Forbidden Area At End Game
« on: December 06, 2012, 03:28:36 PM »
So I was playing a match with Rabid Imperial Guard, and we got to reminiscing about days past, how things used to be during the final moments of a TC match. Back when, before the end game timer was used, it basically became a sudden death match--which was great! However, some people would just hide in an obscure location as a BA, making it all but impossible to move on to the next map.

Thus, I propose that at the end of a TC match, a forbidden area geometry creeps in at a slow but steady pace that encompasses all but a narrow strip leading to the middle of the map from both main bases. I'm not sure if this could be done through flowgraph or not, but I think it'd be a nice way to give a team that's making a comeback a chance to actually finish it in an all out brawl to the end. The area in the middle would be maybe 1000m by 1000m, and the narrow strip from the base would be as wide of the mech hanger itself.

What do you think?

Offline EmyLightsaber

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-1
Re: Steadily Increasing Forbidden Area At End Game
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 04:26:18 PM »
Personally from experience, each map maker would have to include this in a map.
Raise your quality standards as high as you can live with, avoid wasting your time on routine problems, and always try to work as closely as possible at the boundary of your abilities. Do this, because it is the only way of discovering how that boundary should be moved forward.

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:
Main point: "OH LOOK AT ME I'm A BIG STUPID MECH WITH A SILLY GUN AND I'M ALL AGILE AND GRACEFUL OH LOOK OVER THERE IT's A TR MAX...............................OH MY GOD I CAN LICK MY OWN KNEECAPS AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE MY SPINE IS."

Offline Bobby

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 04:33:17 PM »
So it is possible using flowgraphs then?? Well that's good news  :D

But I suppose the bad news is that, like you said, it would have be done on individual basis, which makes sense considering all the differing layouts. I personally think it's worth the trouble, but being I'm speaking from a player's perspective, it's hard for me to gauge the amount of effort something like that might take.

So, being a map maker yourself, would you be inclined to add something like this?

Offline EmyLightsaber

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-1
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 04:48:39 PM »
To clarify, if it were possible, each map maker would have to individually add them. To be honest, I don't know.
Raise your quality standards as high as you can live with, avoid wasting your time on routine problems, and always try to work as closely as possible at the boundary of your abilities. Do this, because it is the only way of discovering how that boundary should be moved forward.

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:
Main point: "OH LOOK AT ME I'm A BIG STUPID MECH WITH A SILLY GUN AND I'M ALL AGILE AND GRACEFUL OH LOOK OVER THERE IT's A TR MAX...............................OH MY GOD I CAN LICK MY OWN KNEECAPS AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE MY SPINE IS."

Offline Xesle

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +84/-19
  • Git gud scrubs
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 05:36:45 PM »
I like to think that I played a large part in that end of game timer being added.  I was on the losing side of a particularly stacked game shortly after 0.4's release, so I took a harasser and drove to the edge of the map and hid from the enemy team for 20 minutes out of spite.  I don't think anyone ever found me, I probably ended up CTDing.  A little while later, one of "those" threads appeared in general discussion, and I think the timer was added in the next hotfix.

Good times.  I like knowing that I was able to give something back to the community for all the fun its given me over the years.

Prodigal son my ass.

Offline :(

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-14
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 03:20:57 AM »
The Left Radar boob is your best friend

Offline Spifficus

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +11/-0
  • HELL YEAH! THIS GAME ROCKS!!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 03:38:27 AM »
How about everybody's position becoming highlighted when all tickets are up? That way there is no hiding and the winners get a chance to wipe out the enemy and the losers see the other guys coming. Maybe giving them a chance for one last rally?
THIS IS PRETTY MUCH THE ONLY GAME I PLAY. LOVE IT!!!
Watch out! This moving target might bite back!
My Youtube Vids
http://www.youtube.com/user/darkcloud1979?feature=mhum

Happiness is an inside job

Intel i7 930 2.8ghz CPU, Asus P6T mobo, 10gb DDR3 Tri-channel Ram 1066, 1x Nvidia GTX550 ti 1 GB DDR5 and 1x 8800gt 528MB for physics, Windows 7 Ultimate

Offline Bobby

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 04:39:35 AM »
Lol Twinkle

That's even better Spifficus! Now the question is, should this be coded into the game mode itself? Or, should an asset be created?

Reason for the  asset is that it could be used on bases for strategic importance during the match (at a mappers discretion, while serving its dual purpose end game role at the final moments of the match.

Offline of a hotdog

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +9/-0
  • You smell bad
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 05:11:45 AM »
How about everybody's position becoming highlighted when all tickets are up? That way there is no hiding and the winners get a chance to wipe out the enemy and the losers see the other guys coming. Maybe giving them a chance for one last rally?

That actually sounds great! I doubt there would be many things they could do to drag things out. The only thing I can think of is if someone somehow got stuck inside something or fell through the map at the end of the match.

I really do miss having last stands and I hope something can be done to bring them back without giving griefers any new tools. Nothing compares to making a last stand in a nice asset with some friends at your side! You know it's your last chance so you fight harder than you knew you could, every second the tension increases until either the timer runs out or you fall to the enemy.
Your Fiend,
Rabid_Imperial_Guard

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 05:19:44 AM »
I would like to see the end of ticket count down timer go to 4 or 5 minutes.  2 is just too short.

Offline Bobby

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 05:28:11 AM »
I know what you mean Sxooter, but the reason for these alternatives being discussed is so that players out of the game are not just stuck watching an epic match degrade into a futile game of hide and go seek. Most people don't even stick around for the 2 minutes left of a match (especially during stomps), so I'd be hard pressed to be believe they would stay for 5.  :P

Rather Spifficus's idea, my own, or something similar, they would cause the match to end in a more dignified and entertaining fashion for those unlucky enough to be part of that final push. And thus retain players until the next match.

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-151
  • What's a matter, wolf got your ride?
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »
we need a sudden death or extra time but yes one minute is too short i can't even build an aero and find a target.
Ferro-Fibrous armor deflecting insults and protecting from damage since 2571.

I am The wolf Chosen of Kerensky. As a  Warden clansmen i protect those who cannot fight for themselves and seek only to find peace in humanity. The Wolf's Dragoons were the spies of the clan sent by the clan wolf. It was through them that we  both realized that the inner sphere were people just like us.
Runway is the only one who can make it to Khan rank without ever moving.
Do not mess with the runway, runway always wins.

Offline Xesle

• Star Captain
  • Git gud scrubs
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 03:58:35 AM »
You're just mad because I thought to do it first. :P

Prodigal son my ass.

Offline :(

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-14
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 04:53:01 AM »
You're just mad because I thought to do it first. :P
It has been done before you.

I think it's a symptom of a bigger problem.  I'd prefer to have fbombs reigning in from the sky on the enemy base once the tickets are up.  Winning by points in Mechwarrior just isn't fun as winning by destruction!
The Left Radar boob is your best friend

Offline Xesle

• Star Captain
  • Git gud scrubs
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 05:19:46 AM »
Stop trying to ruin my fun.

Prodigal son my ass.