Author Topic: Correct Zoom Function  (Read 3233 times)

Offline ACE FIGHTER

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +12/-1
Correct Zoom Function
« on: January 07, 2013, 06:36:41 AM »
People should watch this first.  :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odKLg_N_-x8

As we know, CryEngine default zoom function is just fov changing. It changes all of screen.
James-Ryan (he is one of Crytek programmer now) made some awesome things when he was modder of Crysis.
He made individual monitor on screen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXBeQzgiqlg), and he made zoom after that.

Dev can make mechwarrior zoom function with this.
I don't know whether dev know this, but contact him & get infos!
I think all players will be impressed, if MWLL get this function.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 07:54:33 AM by ACE FIGHTER »

Offline Bobby

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-2
Re: Correct Zoom Function
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 07:17:37 AM »
I wonder what happens to performance though using a zoom pane like that? The reason most games zoom the entire screen is to keep from having to double the rendering which equals more processing. I don't know all the details; however, from what I vaguely remember, there's some stiff performance penalties for it.

Offline ACE FIGHTER

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 07:32:42 AM »
James-Ryan said this feature didn't affect peformance before.
Did you watch 2nd video? He placed 1,000 monitors. lol

---

Even if we use "simple another rendering", I think it doesn't affect performance.
Because scope rendering size is much smaller. For example, MW4 is only 1/8.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 07:48:30 AM by ACE FIGHTER »

Offline Cindercat

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 07:38:32 AM »
It would be nice if it just didn't blur the edges of the screen at all.

Offline ACE FIGHTER

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 07:57:19 AM »
I think MWO is using very similar technique.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:25:23 AM by ACE FIGHTER »

Offline Bobby

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 08:27:44 AM »
James-Ryan said this feature didn't affect peformance before.
Did you watch 2nd video? He placed 1,000 monitors. lol

---

Even if we use "simple another rendering", I think it doesn't affect performance.
Because scope rendering size is much smaller. For example, MW4 is only 1/8.

Yea, I saw the 2nd video lol. I actually saw all this stuff back when crydev was still crymod, and they had featured it on their news. I guess, the only thing to do is to just try it with like 20+ mechs and particle effects all over the place to simulate a stress test in actual in-game conditions (or however the alpha testers do it). I mean if James-Ryan, and yourself are right, that's awesome, but it's just that in his example there wasn't resource intensive MWLL objects and explosions going on. So you'll have to excuse my skepticism ;)

But, you know, thinking about it, since it's using flowgraph, some savvy Sandbox individual might be able to give it a whirl. And then we could see if it works without bringing my FPS down to -30.

The download for that flowgraph might still be on crydev too!

Offline cyofee

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +71/-61
    • cyofee
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 10:13:43 AM »
We were always told that this isn't possible from a performance standpoint.

If it can be done, it would be great. We could also have a rear-view mirror.

Offline EagleFire

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +25/-1
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 12:24:54 AM »
Oh I would totally take a hit in performance for a rear view camera for driving tanks.

And I'm totally for the independent zoom too, anything to make MWLL closer to MW3. :D

Offline Rajveer

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 01:08:09 AM »
He's just rendering to a texture then displaying part of it on top of the scene again. That's why in the first video when he zooms in a lot the image is pixelated, it's not re-rendering the zoomed part at a new fov but just zooming into a rendered image. If you want your zoom function to be a pixelated mess and prevent you from aiming with any accuracy then go for it, but it looks like ass, unless you do it the proper way then you lose performance.

Offline Terragent

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +43/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 01:30:56 AM »
I'm not really sure I want a picture-in-picture zoom, anyway; if MW4 is anything to go by, it'll only serve to get in the way and make it harder to aim. MWLL's current zoom function is basically the same as MW2's, and works just fine.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +156/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 01:51:46 AM »

Do you mean currently? You can disable that with g_Dof_Ironsight = 0

And I agree with Rajveer, not really worth having this way.

Offline ACE FIGHTER

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 05:26:07 AM »
We can't see objects which aren't rendered in the scene, even if we use zoom in this method. XD
This is the main problem.

Hmm... low LOD & longer view distance forcebly? :p
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:08:23 AM by ACE FIGHTER »

Offline Bobby

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 08:05:06 AM »
He's just rendering to a texture then displaying part of it on top of the scene again. That's why in the first video when he zooms in a lot the image is pixelated, it's not re-rendering the zoomed part at a new fov but just zooming into a rendered image. If you want your zoom function to be a pixelated mess and prevent you from aiming with any accuracy then go for it, but it looks like ass, unless you do it the proper way then you lose performance.

I'm not really sure I want a picture-in-picture zoom, anyway; if MW4 is anything to go by, it'll only serve to get in the way and make it harder to aim. MWLL's current zoom function is basically the same as MW2's, and works just fine.

I wonder if there are any performance gains using this now that you've shed some light on how this works Rajveer. The current zoom, though very intuitive, causes "hiccups" on majority of the maps which almost always causes assets to teleport (via sudden fps drops) when you're trying to zoom in on them.

Like ACE said, thanks to LODs, I would think that performance would be much better using a picture-in-picture zoom since it'll only cover a small area over trying to render all the textures in your field of view like the current default Crysis zoom does, if I understand it correctly. I would think that you could increase the texture resolution to prevent heavy pixelation when zoomed in though, but I could be wrong. And besides that, I'd be surprised if anyone would need to zoom in that much to take a shot  ;D

Terragent those are valid concerns, but I wouldn't worry too much about implementation. Pretty sure, should the devs even be considering something like this, that whatever they decide on would be significantly better than what was in that game.

Offline Cindercat

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-1
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 09:51:48 AM »

Weird, I have this set in my system.cfg and Autoexec.cfg and it never seemed to work.  Does it have to be done manually every time you start the game?

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 11:24:30 AM »

Weird, I have this set in my system.cfg and Autoexec.cfg and it never seemed to work.  Does it have to be done manually every time you start the game?

Make sure the one above it is set to zero as well.  r_DepthOfField = 0

That blur is garbage.  Not sure if I would like the windowed zoom either, hated it in MW4.  Seemed so wrong and was not the easiest tool in the box to use.

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)