Author Topic: Vehicle handling  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Raptor }12VR{

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +36/-2
  • Nyan de nyaa
Vehicle handling
« on: January 13, 2013, 12:41:55 AM »
I would think hovers to MBT will have major differences in acceleration but seeing 50 tons of hovering Epona turning even better than tracked tanks, it seems a bit far fetched.

I would judge handling by these major factors, but it seems that Hovers seems to be king in all of them, even traction.
Acceleration:
Speed:
Traction:
Turning radius:

IMO, and again, only just my brain tells me there should be good differences.

Hover: Capable of very high speed but not good for tight turns.
Acceleration: Fair
Speed: Highest
Traction: Low
Turning radius: Large

Wheeled light tank: High acceleration, decent traction and small enough turning radius 
Acceleration: High
Speed: High
Traction: Medium
Turning radius: Small

Medium Tank/ MBT: Very high acceleration and great power, but medium speed.
Acceleration: Highest
Speed: Medium
Traction: Highest
Turning radius: Small

Heavy tank and support tank: Medium acceleration and power, but low speed.
Acceleration: Medium
Speed: Low
Traction: High
Turning radius: Medium

At this very moment, I think all the hovers grips and turn far too well and tanks lacks traction and power. Hover should be able to keep their speed very well but any braking or change of direction is harder than wheeled or tracked vehicle, and tanks should be able to climb hills and brake with ease.

Flame on!

Offline =CJW= Zweistein000 (W)

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +222/-72
  • Trial of position ended; Rank: Warrior
    • Urbie Defense By (TLL)CapperDeluxe
Re: Vehicle handling
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 01:13:06 AM »
I like the turning range reduction, but I would rather like to see Hoovers strafing left and right.
Vote Bill for multidimentional sex warlock 2013.

Quote from: Bin Fish link=http://cjw.dyndns.biz/forum/profile.php?10,12
Don't sniff anything Bill gives you and never find yourself alone with HAARP

Offline Bobby

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-2
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 01:24:39 AM »
Yea more power sliding would be nice, but I'm not sure how they would go about it without locking the turret facing forward, and rebinding the A and D keys. Otherwise hovers would be much, much harder to control than anyone thinks they are now. There's also the problem of the model design and physics. In the case of the Harasser, where is it getting that thrust from to strafe like that, since its power is coming from the rear (at least that's what I think with the tailpipes and all)?

The Heph might get away with it, but I think that's the only one by model design that could.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 08:02:58 AM by Bobby »

Offline Askis

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +55/-5
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 02:45:54 AM »
Yea more power sliding would be nice, but I'm not sure how they would go about it without locking the turret facing forward, and rebinding the A and D keys. Otherwise hovers would be much, much harder to control than anyone thinks they are now.

That part would be simple enough, you'd just need two additional keys for strafing, although MWLL uses a ton of keys as it is, so it'd be kinda hard to find a key layout that works well across all vehicle types...

Offline :(

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-14
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 05:22:52 PM »
locking the turret facing forward
I don't think it's possible without serious effort put in by a coder
The Left Radar boob is your best friend

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +39/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 05:45:08 PM »
I think when a hover is hit by missiles, high-bore ACs, or Gauss they should be pushed in the direction of the shot. This already happens with MGuns/ACs to an extent, but the way it happens seems to be constant and always parallel with the ground. If an Epona is hit with two Thunderbolts from above by a Sulla, it should slam into the ground and lose all momentum. Not take any damage and for the love of god not clip through the ground (hehe), but it'd help with balancing out the hovers. I think almost everyone knows that the Epona is too good right now and still can run away from anything with its back armor destroyed (1/2 acceleration is a pretty worthless debuff when your acceleration normally only takes 2 seconds to get to full speed), but this can be balanced out a bit if this is another stat: mass would dictate both how easily a hover is pushed and how quickly they get airborne again. So a Harasser might get pushed around more easily than an Epona, but it'll bounce back up and accelerate again really fast. But an Epona that's running away or charging that gets hit by dual AC20s at the right angle might bump into the ground and not go anywhere for a few seconds.

Offline C.Falcon

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-1
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 10:50:13 PM »
One easy way is a strafe modifier key like old games used to do it. For example holding down shift/boost and the turn keys become strafe.

Offline Cindercat

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-1
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 01:02:45 AM »
It's mostly the Epona that has an unreasonably good turning radius.  It actually turns the sharpest and the best (although there's some delay) of any hovercraft while using boost.