Author Topic: 0.7 shiny new HUD, ancient targeting system...?  (Read 3032 times)

Offline C.Falcon

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-1
0.7 shiny new HUD, ancient targeting system...?
« on: January 16, 2013, 02:32:26 AM »
With the big update around a month away (hopefully) I wanted to bring up this topic for the weaker of us who rely on the coward technology known as RADAR and the targeting computer.

I'm hoping that this new HUD brings with it a new targeting system, otherwise I wouldn't make a topic out of this.
Now that the devs are finally getting around to the finer details like the HUD, I want to push for a more intuitive targeting system.

Even if there's not going to be a total overhaul, there is no reason why each enemy can't be highlighted (or outlined or etc) as such to distinguish them from teammates. Practically the only people that want to play puretech are the devs, so in the mean time i'd like my targeting computer to help me out a bit because the small font teammate names aren't enough in the most hectic of brawls.
I know this stuff takes a lot of work and cycling through targets works, but it's really not intuitive. most games do target cycling anyway, so as long as the HUD at least indicates all available targets and a primary or active target, i'll call it good.

Almost forgot to bring up whats-her-name, your lovely talking computer that tells you helpful things like "enemy mech /powering up detected" and if youre being targeted and all that, except not in this game! All she says is the start-up procedure, which is meaningless because you can be an armless uller with a leaky reactor and she'll tell you you're good to go. ;)
If at least she alerted you when an enemy is detected on the RADAR it would counter the "RADAR glance" trick where you only tap the active RADAR to check who's around you.

howdy Bill and Defender-sama, i'm too drunk to keep fixing this shit...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:42:55 AM by C.Falcon »

Offline :(

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-14
Re: 0.7 shiny new HUD, ancient targeting system...?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 03:46:50 AM »
this is how it worked in every other mechwarrior game ever.

I fixed a lot of the sound channel clutter, hopefully betty comes out more often.
The Left Radar boob is your best friend

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 03:49:23 AM »
Also, calling any graphics into the HUD, especially ones that need to pipe in from code, are extremely performance intensive.
Try typing CL_HUD 0 into the console sometime. Watch your frames jump.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline C.Falcon

• Bondsman
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 04:33:10 AM »
cl_HUD 0 turns your HUD off? hmm I didn't think HUD stuff was that much of a processor hog...

and what else does Betty say besides when you power up/down your mech? I think i remember her alerting you of base captures or something...
But to reiterate if Betty gave you RADAR info (such as enemies entering your RADAR range) it would be a huge help.

And about each enemy being highlighted, I was thinking of Natural Selection 2 where they automatically put an icon on each enemy within sight. However enemies in MWLL are able to be targeted out to RADAR range despite visibility and obstructions, so I was working under the assumption of a very minimalistic icon, but something that would still help in chaotic brawl situations.

Also I forgot to bring up the white silhouette thing that is currently in use. It looks to me like it's used for missile lockons? It looks like the mech glows white.... Anyway if it's not too processor intensive it should be used for every enemy detected by your RADAR.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:39:54 AM by C.Falcon »

Offline Bobby

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-2
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 05:54:52 AM »
That white glow is something from the original Crysis for those rocket launchers when you obtain lock. I think it was just carried over with the rocket code.

Offline blasto

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 09:25:16 AM »
@ C. Falcon:

Betty lets you know when a certain part of your mech/vehicle is damaged, critically damaged and destroyed.

Example: An enemy is firing on your right arm.  When that arm is around 50% damaged, she'll say "right arm damaged".  When it is almost blown off, she'll say: "right arm critical".
And when that arm is finally blown off, she'll say: "Right arm destroyed, weapon destroyed (if that arm had weapons on it).  This is useful information during a frantic fight, when you can't always be looking down at your damage indicator.

She will also let you know when an enemy that you have targeted is destroyed by another player.
Example:  You have an enemy VTOL targeted, but before you can deal a killing blow, another player destroys it.  Betty will say "VTOL destroyed".  Note: this only happens if you have that unit targeted at the time of it's destruction.

Betty also lets you know when your heat level is getting too high.  In this case, she'll say: "Heat level critical".  Very important.

I'm sure there are other examples of Betty's usefulness, but, like you, I've been drinking and am hard pressed to remember them all.

Offline C.Falcon

• Bondsman
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
@ C. Falcon:

Betty lets you know when a certain part of your mech/vehicle is damaged, critically damaged and destroyed.

Example: An enemy is firing on your right arm.  When that arm is around 50% damaged, she'll say "right arm damaged".  When it is almost blown off, she'll say: "right arm critical".
And when that arm is finally blown off, she'll say: "Right arm destroyed, weapon destroyed (if that arm had weapons on it).  This is useful information during a frantic fight, when you can't always be looking down at your damage indicator.

She will also let you know when an enemy that you have targeted is destroyed by another player.
Example:  You have an enemy VTOL targeted, but before you can deal a killing blow, another player destroys it.  Betty will say "VTOL destroyed".  Note: this only happens if you have that unit targeted at the time of it's destruction.

Betty also lets you know when your heat level is getting too high.  In this case, she'll say: "Heat level critical".  Very important.

I'm sure there are other examples of Betty's usefulness, but, like you, I've been drinking and am hard pressed to remember them all.

Right right she does say "target destroyed" but would it be too much for her to give more info on your target? like their limbs and their heat level? I'd really just like her to say "enemy detected" which would prompt you to look at your RADAR.

and about the white glow, yeah i thought those were only for missile locks. if it won't cost a ton more performance wise, how would all detectable enemies (eg. not if they're passive RADAR) glowing sound? I could see a lot of people not liking all the glowing enemies, but I get the feeling a lot more would appreciate it.

Offline Ch3m1kal

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +59/-2
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 10:40:45 AM »
Glowing enemies would look retarded and while I'm no authority on BT, i think there is also absolutely no canon to back it up. Maybe if we get IR vision some day...
Betty constantly chattering about things like enemy detected is annoying and useless, go play MWO for that.
Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +339/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 12:39:53 PM »
I can see your point C, but I have to say that if Betty was constantly describing the nuances of every single target down to the colour of the pilot's undercrackers would likely be enough to give me a conniption fit.

A radar indication of the direction of incoming missiles, but that's a minor thing imo.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 02:41:25 PM »
My betty voiceover preferences:

"Beard length reaching critical levels! But you can still give me as many kisses as you like because my 31st century polymers are smooth and resilient."

"Oh god that was good. Your UAC20s are huge and always right on target!"

"Myomer extension reaching alarming levels! Don't worry handsome. Relax and have this beer, I'll call an astech when we get back to base."

"Heat levels critical!  It's a good thing I wear double heatsinks in lieu of panties."

"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline The_Beast

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +2/-1
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
Can we turn back the old HUD? :( This is awful  :o
INTEL Core i5 760, LGA 1156
TITAN "DC-156H925B/RPW/CU30
Socket1156 GIGABYTE "GA-P55-UD3L" rev.2.3
DDR3 SDRAM Kingston "ValueRAM" 8G
PCI-E 3.0 GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7950
300GB Western Digital "VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS
Windows 8 Enterprise
Ph. D. Economics.

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 07:13:42 PM »
When not in free-reticle mode, it feels like I have pretty good rotation along the x-axis, but on the y-axis I feel like every movement is resisted by the constant attempt to pull the target reticle back to center.  Making it very difficult to shoot at things that are above or below my line of sight.  Is there a setting to change just the y-axis sensitivity for the mouse? 

Also, on a lot of mechs it's not readily apparent which weapons are arm weapons and which are torso ones, particularly when setting up firing groups.  I guess that's just something to learn from time spent using.

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +80/-1
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 07:58:05 PM »
With the big update around a month away

... did I miss something?

Didn't we learn just yesterday that 'there will be no more updates'?

In soviet clanspace, trinary bids you.

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 08:34:39 PM »
That was posted before the announcement. :(

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-151
  • What's a matter, wolf got your ride?
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 08:36:17 PM »
I only use the radar to spot enemies and then I use the targeting just to track enimies somtimes i forget to target my enemies  so how is that weak? Any good mechwarrior would know how to use his mech to it's full capabilites including radar and targeting. the only issue i have is on all tech when an allie walks past me on a owens or other IS mech espisilly when i just fought the same mech chassis
Ferro-Fibrous armor deflecting insults and protecting from damage since 2571.

I am The wolf Chosen of Kerensky. As a  Warden clansmen i protect those who cannot fight for themselves and seek only to find peace in humanity. The Wolf's Dragoons were the spies of the clan sent by the clan wolf. It was through them that we  both realized that the inner sphere were people just like us.
Runway is the only one who can make it to Khan rank without ever moving.
Do not mess with the runway, runway always wins.