Author Topic: The free reticle explained  (Read 14705 times)

Offline Ingrater

• MWLL Lead Coder
  • Project Director
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-0
The free reticle explained
« on: January 16, 2013, 02:35:36 PM »
At the time of this posting the actionmapper does not yet support the new free reticle actions, but it will be udpated soon.

For the impatient:
  • Download the actionmaps.txt that is attachted to this post
  • Rename it to actionmaps.xml
  • Copy it to Documents\My Games\Crysis Wars\Profiles\<your Profile Name>\actionmaps.xml

Now the toggle free reticle action will be bound to your left ALT button. As long as you hold it down you will be in free reticle mode.

The full explenation

The free reticle has two modes. The "torso follow" mode and the "free" mode. The "torso follow" mode is on per default. In the "torso follow" mode your torso will always try to line up with your reticle. While it is doing so the reticle will also recenter itself. In the "free" mode the torso does not try to keep up with your reticle and only moves if you reach the limits of the free reticle.

Torso mounted weapons will only be able to shoot at targets that are within the circle that is displayed on the mech HUD. If you try to shoot at targets that are not within the circle each torso mounted weapon will try to shoot as close to the target as possible (can be far of ...). Also if you get to close to a target, your torso mounted weapons might also no longer be able to shoot at it, because they can not fire in the required angle.

Add the following xml to your actionmaps.xml "mechs" section to have a button that activates the free mode as long as it is pressed. (left ALT in this case)
Code: [Select]
  <action name="toggle_free_reticle" onPress="1" onRelease="1">
   <key name="lalt"/>
  </action>

If you want it to be a toggle button, and not a "hold down" button, paste the following into your mechs section of the actionmaps.xml
  <action name="toggle_free_reticle" onPress="1">
   <key name="lalt"/>
  </action>

Pro mode:
Set the cvar cl_free_reticle_independent to 1. When you do this, the movement of the free reticle and the torso will be completely independent. You can then switch between them with the toggle key.

You can also bind the two actions
  • free_reticle_x
  • free_reticle_y
to the mouse. This only makes sense if you have a complete joystick setup at the moment.
Using these two actions you can control your mechs movement and torso rotation with a joystick and at the same time move the reticle around with your mouse.
This should provide the ultimate mechwarrior experience.
There comes a point where the talking must stop, and people have to do actual work.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +158/-37
  • my little pwny
Re: The free reticle explained
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 02:51:52 PM »
Cool :)

Add the following xml to your actionmaps.xml "mechs" section to have a button that activates the free mode as long as it is pressed. (left ALT in this case)
  <action name="toggle_free_reticle" onPress="1" onRelease="1">
   <key name="lalt"/>
  </action>

But, shouldn't it be

<action name="toggle_free_reticle" onPress="1" onRelease="0">
   <key name="lalt"/>
  </action>

?

// hm evidently not, just saw that every toggle in the actionmap works this way

Offline Ingrater

• MWLL Lead Coder
  • Project Director
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 02:59:30 PM »
// hm evidently not, just saw that every toggle in the actionmap works this way

Fail  :P
There comes a point where the talking must stop, and people have to do actual work.

Offline Ghogiel

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +60/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 05:50:19 PM »
Finally, I was trying to figure out how to worky the free reticule in beta just a min ago.

Offline =CJW= Zweistein000 (W)

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +222/-72
  • Trial of position ended; Rank: Warrior
    • Urbie Defense By (TLL)CapperDeluxe
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 07:12:28 PM »
are there any commands that turn torso on key press? I you much rather see my reticle on my mouse and my torso on my keyboard "c" and "x"
Vote Bill for multidimentional sex warlock 2013.

Quote from: Bin Fish link=http://cjw.dyndns.biz/forum/profile.php?10,12
Don't sniff anything Bill gives you and never find yourself alone with HAARP

Offline Rajveer

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 11:40:14 PM »
I'm trying to use it with cl_free_reticle_independent set to 1 so it's like it used to be, and toggling free reticle when I want (so the torso doesn't play catch up with the reticule). A couple of things:

1) what's annoying is when you reach your limit looking all the way to one side, it just stops moving the reticle instead of turning the torso as much as it can, unlike when you set cl_free_reticle_independent to 0.
2) can we get an option to allow automatically recentering the reticle to the middle when turning free reticle off instead of keeping it where it currently is?
3) I can't seem to map any key other than lalt to toggling free reticle (inc mouse buttons).

Other than those, it's pretty awesome!  :D

EDIT: Forget 3) , using the updated action mapper (http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,18953.0/topicseen.html) works, must have been my fault doing it manually. Also, setting free reticle and center reticle to the same key solves 2), so just fixing 1) would be awesome!

Ideally, the way I'd like free reticle to work with cl_free_reticle_independent set to 1 is that it moves the torso as much as possible until it can't anymore, then it starts to move the arms. So let's say my torso is rotated all the way left and so are my arms, then when I start rotating right, the arms will rotate until they align with the middle of the torso, then the torso rotates right to it's maximum, then the arms rotate out right to their maximum. Hope that makes sense  :P

This would be exactly the same as when aiming with cl_free_reticle_independent set to 0, except with no delay in the torso catching up with the reticle. The differences between the 2 modes would then be that with it set to 0 you have quicker aiming with arms, and with it set to 1 aiming is easier but takes longer.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 05:31:18 AM by =CJW= Rajveer »

Offline SchnitzlXS

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 11:40:53 PM »
Let me start by saying that I really like the HUD and free reticle changes, Ingrater.

I like the pro tip but I do have a question about the cl_free_reticle_independent set to 1 command. Is there any way of incorporating that setting into the game permanently or do you have to type it in every time you launch the game?

Also Rajveer: I notice that when you bind free reticle and center reticle to the same key, there is a delay when you press the key and look left. Strangely enough there is no delay when you look in other directions. I tried that on the Atlas. Anyone know why is that?

Cheers!

Offline sam hamwitch

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 07:05:31 AM »
Also Rajveer: I notice that when you bind free reticle and center reticle to the same key, there is a delay when you press the key and look left. Strangely enough there is no delay when you look in other directions. I tried that on the Atlas. Anyone know why is that?

You're right! It isn't just on the Atlas, it seems to affect all mechs. Is there any chance that it can be fixed in the upcoming hotfix?

Offline [IPA] Taltos

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +12/-1
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 10:20:15 AM »
I like the pro tip but I do have a question about the cl_free_reticle_independent set to 1 command. Is there any way of incorporating that setting into the game permanently or do you have to type it in every time you launch the game?
put it in the autostart.cfg (exact name?) in the crysis folder somewhere (not on my pc, can't confirm the location).

Offline SchnitzlXS

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 10:24:47 AM »
Thank you Taltos, I will try.

Cheers!

Offline ELH_MrGray

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-9
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 01:35:07 PM »
put it in the autostart.cfg (exact name?) in the crysis folder somewhere (not on my pc, can't confirm the location).

May be its autoexec.cfg in game foulder (not mod foulder)?

"Do you know what the sound of 2 UAC/20s is?"
"What's it sound like?"
"RAPERAPERAPERAPE."

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 07:35:37 PM »

May be its autoexec.cfg in game foulder (not mod foulder)?

For example; mine:
G:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Crysis Wars = Autoexec.cfg
C:\Users\Defender\Documents\my games\Crysis Wars\Profiles\Defender = Actionmaps.xml

Replace your existing files with mine to lock cursor to center by default and toggle movable reticule with ALT.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97269992/Transfer/MWLL/DefendersFreelookConfig.zip

I also want to note that my AutoExec is not default. For example I was recently notified that my physics are on the 4th core.
God knows what else I threw in there. =)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 03:10:23 PM by Defender »
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline Jodix

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 01:31:13 PM »
Again, for everyone who is having difficulties with the way the crosshair behaves in the default mode:

If you want the crosshair to behave similar to pre-0.7, use "cl_free_reticle_independent  1" in the console. This will have the effect that your crosshair will be fixed on the screen again. Use the "Free Reticle" and "Center Reticle" buttons to aim with your arms.

For Example:
With my config now the reticle is always fixed in center like in pre-0.7. If i want to shoot at targets like VTOLs, which are out of my torso-range, I hold down "left-alt" (Free Reticle without toggle) and can control my crosshair freely on the screen like in MW3. When done shooting I let go of "left-alt", my reticle will be fixed again wherever it is now. Pressing "1" (Center Reticle) will now, well, put my reticle into the center again.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 03:21:25 PM by Jodix »

Offline SchnitzlXS

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
Thank you Defender.

Cheers!

Offline Rajveer

• Recruit
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 03:58:38 PM »
With my config now the reticle is always fixed in center like in pre-0.7. If i want to shoot at targets like VTOLs, which are out of my torso-range, I hold down "left-alt" (Free Reticle without toggle) and can control my crosshair freely on the screen like in MW3. When done shooting I let go of "left-alt", my reticle will be fixed again wherever it is now. Pressing "1" (Center Reticle) will now, well, put my reticle into the center again.

As I said above, this isn't very intuitive because when you toggle free reticle with cl_free_reticle_independent set to 1 the torso becomes locked . If possible, this needs to be changed. For some mechs that have a small free reticle range, it becomes very cumbersome.