Author Topic: The free reticle explained  (Read 14246 times)

Offline ELH_MrGray

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-9
Re: The free reticle explained
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 06:27:07 PM »
For Example:
With my config now the reticle is always fixed in center like in pre-0.7. If i want to shoot at targets like VTOLs, which are out of my torso-range, I hold down "left-alt" (Free Reticle without toggle) and can control my crosshair freely on the screen like in MW3. When done shooting I let go of "left-alt", my reticle will be fixed again wherever it is now. Pressing "1" (Center Reticle) will now, well, put my reticle into the center again.

Put both "free reticule" and "Center reticule" on same key, let shift fot me. And do not forget "cl_free_reticle_independent  1".

"Do you know what the sound of 2 UAC/20s is?"
"What's it sound like?"
"RAPERAPERAPERAPE."

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +125/-33
  • Cheese!
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 08:42:01 PM »
You can also bind the two actions
  • free_reticle_x
  • free_reticle_y
to the mouse. This only makes sense if you have a complete joystick setup at the moment.
Using these two actions you can control your mechs movement and torso rotation with a joystick and at the same time move the reticle around with your mouse.
This should provide the ultimate mechwarrior experience.

Thanks for this. I think I am one of the few people who actually use this setup.
My milk shakes!

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • Cheese!
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 12:20:06 AM »
Well this is fairly saddening. I have even enabled "pro mode", however there is this one little problem.

My free reticule can move much much further than my arm weapons will.

Here is the Solitare with 4 MGuns in the arms.

The free reticule will move all the way to the left of the screen. That is the furthest distance the arms will shoot. The reticule should lock to the maximum movement distance of the arms.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:30:17 AM by SJ SCL Wolf »
My milk shakes!

Offline okaolias

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +13/-2
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 12:29:59 AM »
This seems to be a bug specific to the solitaire. Most other mechs seem to stop you at max arm range of motion, but soli has totally free look, even though the arms can't track. I don't know if it happens in any other assets.

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • Cheese!
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 12:30:51 AM »
This seems to be a bug specific to the solitaire. Most other mechs seem to stop you at max arm range of motion, but soli has totally free look, even though the arms can't track. I don't know if it happens in any other assets.

I haven't tried either. I will do some more checking later.
My milk shakes!

Offline [CG]Anastasius Focht

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-9079
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 03:34:15 AM »
For Example:
With my config now the reticle is always fixed in center like in pre-0.7. If i want to shoot at targets like VTOLs, which are out of my torso-range, I hold down "left-alt" (Free Reticle without toggle) and can control my crosshair freely on the screen like in MW3. When done shooting I let go of "left-alt", my reticle will be fixed again wherever it is now. Pressing "1" (Center Reticle) will now, well, put my reticle into the center again.

Put both "free reticule" and "Center reticule" on same key, let shift fot me. And do not forget "cl_free_reticle_independent  1".

Just used this

cl_free_reticle_independent 1

Fixed my gamepad issues.

Thanks you brilliant people, Very much appreciated
You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anastasius_Focht

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • Cheese!
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 05:29:52 AM »

I haven't tried either. I will do some more checking later.

This is not limited to the solitaire. I have tried with several more mechs. Lasers, ballistics, it doesn't matter. The reticule extends twice as far as the arms move on all other mechs besides the Solitaire (which it extends 5x as far). Devs, I really hope you can hotfix this.
My milk shakes!

Offline okaolias

• Recruit
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 05:53:52 PM »
You're right about the wild range of motion. It seems to work properly when aiming directly up and down. I think it was stated that free reticle will double as free look and allow you to look beyond where you can shoot.

Have you tried maximal range without free reticle, but cl_free_reticle_independent set to 0 on mechs with limited torso twist? I remember it working fine on them. I'm back home and my main rig is still fried, so I can't test it myself right now.

Offline Ingrater

• MWLL Lead Coder
  • Project Director
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-0
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 08:46:54 PM »
This is not really a bug. The arms have independen rotation maximums so this is correct behaviors. Of course it would be more cnovinient if the maximum angle of the reticle would match the maximum rotation degree of the arms.

Kind Regards
Ingrater
There comes a point where the talking must stop, and people have to do actual work.

Offline okaolias

• Recruit
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 09:03:24 PM »
Is the max rotation different for each mech by the way? We only got precise numbers for the masakari. Again, I would test it myself but I don't really have a computer right now.

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • Cheese!
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 11:25:47 PM »
This is not really a bug. The arms have independen rotation maximums so this is correct behaviors. Of course it would be more cnovinient if the maximum angle of the reticle would match the maximum rotation degree of the arms.

Kind Regards
Ingrater

Ideally in pro mode the reticule would be locked to the arms and pushing further than that should cause torso twist in that direction. The current and I guess permanent implementation feels half done.
My milk shakes!

Offline [CG]Anastasius Focht

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-9079
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 11:38:48 PM »
For Example:

Just used this

cl_free_reticle_independent 1

Fixed my gamepad issues.

Thanks you brilliant people, Very much appreciated

Just had a chance to test this a bit more, its still a little buggy, the torso twist look up/down function works but sometimes it self centres for no reason or wont centre, ie when i torso twist back to centred position, it slides back to a twisted left or right.

You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anastasius_Focht

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-1
    • 12th Vegan Rangers Forum
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 09:48:22 AM »
I'm going to keep reading, but let me know if there is a way to do this.

I want to use "cl_free_reticle_independent  1" as the default way I aim (just like in the pre 0.7 versions).

I want to make it so that toggling free reticle changes me to torso follow mode instead of pro mode.

Also, for some reason mousewheel up centers torso for me even though center torso isnt even mapped.
Member of the 12th Vegan Rangers
http://twelfthvr.freeforums.org/index.php

See who is playing MWLL right now, without having to start the game: http://stats.spikx.net/mwll.html

Offline Ingrater

• MWLL Lead Coder
  • Project Director
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-0
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 10:17:38 AM »
I want to use "cl_free_reticle_independent  1" as the default way I aim (just like in the pre 0.7 versions).

I want to make it so that toggling free reticle changes me to torso follow mode instead of pro mode.

This is not possible.
There comes a point where the talking must stop, and people have to do actual work.

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-1
    • 12th Vegan Rangers Forum
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 10:23:28 AM »
Capper Deluxe was saying that there is a way to put cvars into the actionmapper. Any idea how to do that?

I think it would also work if you put it into that one cfg file, I can't recall the filename since I'm at work but its where those invert cvars go in the Crysis Wars directory.  I actually have a means to let the actionmapper put in cvars (like the inverts) so I can put it in there at a later time.

I guess my question really is can I make a single key on my keyboard toggle between cl_free_reticle_independent 1 and cl_free_reticle_independent  0    ?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 10:44:29 AM by Warlord Kentax »
Member of the 12th Vegan Rangers
http://twelfthvr.freeforums.org/index.php

See who is playing MWLL right now, without having to start the game: http://stats.spikx.net/mwll.html