Author Topic: The free reticle explained  (Read 14236 times)

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-1
    • 12th Vegan Rangers Forum
Re: The free reticle explained
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2013, 10:55:55 PM »
Thanks to that, it is working now :)

Edit:
For some reason, even though I have set it to "T", this toggle function only works when I hit "lalt" is there something special about lalt? Cuz changing the key doesnt seem to do anything, "lalt" is still the key I have to press to get the toggle to happen.

Code: [Select]
    <action consoleCmd="1" name="toggleIntCvar cl_free_reticle_independent" onPress="1">
   <key name="t"/>
  </action>
  <action name="toggle_free_reticle" onPress="1">
   <key name="t"/>
  </action>
  <action name="center_free_reticle" onPress="1">
   <key name="t"/>
  </action>

Edit 2:
OK, so I went around everywhere on my computer that had anything that looked remotely like an actionmapper xml file and overwrote them all with the one where I use "T" and that seemed to work. Thanks for all your help guys.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:03:20 AM by Warlord Kentax »
Member of the 12th Vegan Rangers
http://twelfthvr.freeforums.org/index.php

See who is playing MWLL right now, without having to start the game: http://stats.spikx.net/mwll.html

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2013, 12:22:31 AM »
I want to use "cl_free_reticle_independent  1" as the default way I aim (just like in the pre 0.7 versions).

I want to make it so that toggling free reticle changes me to torso follow mode instead of pro mode.

This is not possible.
Turns out it is :P
Thanks for your help, couldn't have done it without you. :D

Edit:

Just for reference I'll put all of this into a single post.

First, add the following code to your autoexec.cfg file in your Crysis Wars folder (this will be inside of Steamapps somewhere or wherever you installed it "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis Wars" for example). If autoexec.cfg does not exist create a blank text file, rename the extension to ".cfg" and name the file "autoexec"
To edit the file right click on it and click "Edit"

con_restricted = 0
cl_free_reticle_independent = 1

Second, add the following code to your actionmaps.xml file most likely found here: "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\My Games\Crysis Wars\Profiles\YOURPROFILENAME"
Put the code in the section marked "<actionmap name="mech" version="19">" If there is already an instance of "toggle_free_reticle" inside of your actionmaps.xml you will need to delete it before pasting in the code provided below. Just as with the autoexec, edit this file by right clicking on it and clicking "Edit"

<action consoleCmd="1" name="toggleIntCvar cl_free_reticle_independent" onPress="1">
   <key name="lalt"/>
  </action>
   <key name="lalt"/>
  </action>
   <key name="lalt"/>
  </action>

You can change "lalt" in this code to whatever button you want to assign. This code will only let you toggle between 2 different modes. The first mode is where the torso and arms are completely locked to each other. The torso and arm reticles will stay centered in the screen at all times. The second mode is where the arms move freely until they reach the maximum angle they are capable of at which point the torso will rotate to follow the arm reticle.

Occasionally, when I start up my game or I respawn after being in torso follow mode, my reticle wont behave quite like what is intended by the code here. If you come across a problem like this it is best to open up your console in game using the "~" key. In the console type "cl_free_reticle_independent = 1" and hit enter. You can also, in console, type "cl_free" and then hit tab then type "= 1" as a shortcut. This fixes the problem for me most of the time.

I use "t" instead of "lalt" for my toggle because I mapped next_enemy and previous_enemy to up and down on the mouse wheel and my lalt has been remapped to an extra coolant button that I mainly use while flying.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:17:12 AM by Warlord Kentax »

See who is playing MWLL right now, without having to start the game: http://stats.spikx.net/mwll.html

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2013, 07:24:13 AM »
I made a video, if some one wants to put it in the opening post of this thread please do.

http://youtu.be/HWd0rWOIIW0

Offline MFSC

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
  • fapp Bitches; Mech Money
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2013, 10:19:37 PM »
Is there a way to make the reticle not snap back to the center? 

It seems that currently the torso follows as close as it can, however the reticle snaps back to the center of the circle instead of being completely free.

Is it possible for the torso to follow but have the reticle completely free so that it doesn't snap back? 

Offline okaolias

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +13/-2
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2013, 10:56:37 PM »
Doesn't really seem to be a way. It's a product of not enough time, I guess :(. The snap was very much improved from 0.7.0, though, and you do get used to it, to a point, over time.

Offline blasto

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
Is there a way to make the reticle not snap back to the center? 

It seems that currently the torso follows as close as it can, however the reticle snaps back to the center of the circle instead of being completely free.

Is it possible for the torso to follow but have the reticle completely free so that it doesn't snap back?

Yes, this is possible.  Go into your action mapper, then go to the mech tab.  At the top of the list you will see a line for free reticle.  Map that to which ever key you desire (I use F). 

Then in the right hand window, click the button labed "use toggle mode".  Then you're all set.

Now, whenever you press the key that you set, your reticle will lead your torso around, but it won't snap back to center whenever you stop pushing in a given direction.

This is what I now use to kill high flying aero or low lying BA.  Also, since it is now a toggle key, you can just press F (or whatever you set) to go back to normal arm snap mode.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 09:34:49 AM by blasto »

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2013, 08:13:22 PM »
Yeah, when you enter the code into your actionmapper file just leave out the part of it that deals with centering the reticle or change that button to something else. FYI, using your mouse's scroll wheel also centers the reticle for some reason. No idea why.

<key name="lalt"/>

<key name="lalt"/>
  </action>
   <key name="lalt"/>
  </action>
  </action>

Offline Rajveer

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-0
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2013, 07:44:47 PM »
I may be mistaken, but I remember reading that free look was at some point coming to air assets? Is this still a possibility? Those assets IMO suffer without the ability to look around and spot/coordinate an attack.

Offline Ressk [CSF]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +72/-2
  • Khan of [CSF]
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2013, 08:11:47 PM »
I may be mistaken, but I remember reading that free look was at some point coming to air assets? Is this still a possibility? Those assets IMO suffer without the ability to look around and spot/coordinate an attack.

best christmas present ever?

if it were possible, i would... do something regrettable in recompense.
Recruitment Page For CSF

click the pic /\
ULLER4LYFE! the internet hates CSF

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2013, 09:24:55 PM »
No free look in any asset other than 'Mechs.

Offline Snow Gibbon

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-8
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2016, 10:47:05 AM »
Massive apologies for the necro on ded forum on ded thread but has anyone currently extant gotten the "free_reticle_x" and "free_reticle_y" bindings to work? Been trying all day and gotten nowhere.
12th Vegan Rangers - Missile spam is the best kind of spam!