Author Topic: Message from the Founders  (Read 43169 times)

Offline [CC] Thuraash

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +4/-0
Re: Message from the Founders
« Reply #180 on: January 23, 2013, 09:23:24 AM »
I'd just like to thank the devs, present and past, for their fine work on MWLL. It's more of a masterpiece than a mod, and it provided an experience unlike any other. Congratulations on your achievement, and I wish you all well in your future endeavors.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +340/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #181 on: January 23, 2013, 06:39:11 PM »
Guys, do you mind if i pop a question. I understand the issue with the Mechwarrior trademark, but what about Classic Battletech? That license is still wholly under Catalyst Labs afaik. I wouldn't mind a change to Classic Battletech: Living Legends.

No assets will have to be changed, we can keep the universe...

And if it's a matter of paying a legal advisor, i can pledge around 500$ down to atleast get things moving, and i'm sure the community can take it from there.

Most likely the most interesting solution proposed.

Offline UnderTaker

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-0
  • Don't bunt. Aim out of the ballpark!
« Reply #182 on: January 23, 2013, 09:13:58 PM »
To all the die hard fans...

Please be aware that those of us Dev's who jumped in on this some, 7-8 yrs ago, have moved on to other things in our lives. You may not be aware of it but, the original premise to  this MW mod was going to be built off the Quake 4 engine.

Not a single one of the Dev's (which have numbered in the hundred's including Crim and Kamikaze) ever dreamed this would have become as big as it has and not one of us asked for a single penny out of the thousands upon thousands of hours of work we put into it. MWLL was simply a labor of love, pure and simple.

It has been a great side-effect that numerous Dev's got jobs in the game industry from having been a volunteer on this project.
MWLL was made for the same reason Unreal was made, it was a group of avid gamers who wanted to play a really cool game.

Just because MWLL is coming to an end, it does not have to mean it has to die.

MW4 came to and end and as you have seen with your own eyes, Mechs will live on in one form or another.

You want the next Ubber Awesome Mech Game?.... Well roll up your sleeves and BUILD IT!  We did! ;)

It may seem super simplified in that statement but, that is exactly how MWLL came to be. We also got extremely fortunate to have the right guys in the right place at the right time and that they were devout MW fans (and were a little off..if you know what I mean).

It has been an Honor and a Privilege to not only be a Dev here but, it has also been an Honor and a Privilege to be part of this community.

Happy Hunting Everyone!!

UnderTaker

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:30:36 PM by UnderTaker »

When you come to the end of all  you know, and it's time to step into the darkness of the unknown, one of two things shall happen: Either you will be given something solid to stand on or you will be taught to fly!

Offline Werewolf486}12thVR{

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-1
« Reply #183 on: January 25, 2013, 01:35:59 AM »
So a certain someone who told us this information at a meeting was lying to us?
NEW: Cooler Master ATSC840                                                    OLD: Cooler Master ATSC840
ASUS LGA2011 Rampage IV Black Edition/Intel i7-4930K             ASUS LGA775 Rampage Extreme/Intel Q9550S
ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/27" ASUS Monitor                          ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/ 24" ASUS Monitor
16GB Corsair Vengeance/Razor Nostromo/M70,M65 Corsair         8GB OCZ Reaper/ N52te/Sidewinder
Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit                                     Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit
250gb Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/500GB WD Blue x 2 in Raid1        80GB Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/750GB WD Blue x2 in Raid1

Offline smudge44

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #184 on: January 25, 2013, 07:58:01 AM »
In late 2007 or early 2008 I heard a rumor from an old MW3/4 clanmate that there was a MW mod in development. By april '08 I had purchased a new comp and was anxousky awaiting MW:LL.... and waiting.... and waiting. Finally in early '09 it went into open beta and I played the bejeezous out of it. Since then I have come and gone many many times. Every time I came back to LL I was amazed at the new content and beauty of this "mod".  Thank You to the Devs and comunity for the absolute best Mechwarrior game in existence, and by far the best game I have played in the last 6 years. All the best in your future endeavors. And I plan to play the bejeezous out of 0.7 and maybe one day mwo will half live up to it's older wiser and better looking brother MW:LL

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-1
    • 12th Vegan Rangers Forum
« Reply #185 on: January 25, 2013, 10:29:41 AM »
Much better top post on the site ( http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/2013-01/the-game-is-not-dead/ ) , helps hammer through that the game isn't dead until we stop playing it. Lots of folks I have talked to said that they just glanced at the top few posts (on the mechlivinglegends.net main page) and mistakenly came to the conclusion that there was no new version and that they couldn't play the game anymore.
Member of the 12th Vegan Rangers
http://twelfthvr.freeforums.org/index.php

See who is playing MWLL right now, without having to start the game: http://stats.spikx.net/mwll.html

Offline ShotgunSpiff

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +12/-0
« Reply #186 on: January 25, 2013, 08:22:29 PM »

Offline «Çߧ»Trooper_Thorn

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +6/-0
  • Galaxy Commander of Iota Galaxy, Clan Blood Spirit
« Reply #187 on: January 26, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
I was right there with you Thorn, and then you said MWO has shitty graphics. What kind of microwave did you use to play MWO, because on my machine and monitor res, MWO is a beautiful game. Most of Flyingdebris' art translated very well in my opinion. The GFX point, it's one that I have to concede to them.

I had my comp built to run MWLL at full bore 12G exp to 24 on mother board, crossfire X  top of the line in 2010, all the bells and whistles and a Samsung flat panel LED combo TV/Monitor running at 120 hz, they do not know how to code to run X-fire this they admitted to me because I had to go through a work around with them before it would run barely acceptable video and it still has a real hazy brown tint and in the Arctic maps its like watching B&W TV in the 60's with crappy rabbit ears. When you are coding for only N-vidia perhaps other cards look lousy. I am on a fixed income because of being disabled if you want to buy me an N-Vida card then perhaps you can have a say in my PC. So up their ask-yer-daddy because what I have seen so far is not the great looking promo that got me fired up. Any one else remember the great start up videos and lousy game graphics in comparison other than me for all the other MW games? So, I still will not spend a dime on what I still consider the inferior product and because of my disappointment with MWO particularly the joy stick not working properly for me and Yes I have a good stick that is typical use for a lot of players so I have to use key board mouse to get barely any function at all. So to me it is inferior product, as for the Joystick to work in MWLL I have still not been able to get it to function to be fair but the functionality of Keyboard mouse is much better. >:(

Νέμεσις
"Let our enemies learn the true meaning of Nemesis!"

Offline Korron Kell

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +4/-0
« Reply #188 on: January 29, 2013, 07:51:12 AM »
When I came over from MWO my jaw dropped at how polished this product was in comparison.  I was a big mod player in the glory days of UT and Half-Life, and this mod is just so much more then anything I've ever seen before.  While I'm fairly new to the game I've thoroughly enjoyed playing and look forward to doing so further even if new content will not see the light of day.

That being said I absolutely love the marauder and want it to see the light of day (even if it has ungodly heat issues).  Any chance you can continue adding content under fair use and just slightly parody MWO with optional in-game voice dialogue like "streaks are OP!!!"?  ;D I guess what bothers me is the cognitive dissonance created by the dumb reality of the litigious world we live in and the common sense truth that this game will never interfere with the commercial profit to be made by licensing the product to PGI in any serious manner.  This may be naive, but is there any chance the fans of MWLL can petitition approval to continue adding content to the mod?  The underwhelming numbers of people with damn fine taste might just convince them.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 10:43:01 PM by Korron Kell »

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #189 on: January 29, 2013, 04:09:02 PM »
This may be naive, but is there any chance the fans of MWLL can petitition approval to continue adding content to the mod?  The underwhelming numbers of people with damn fine taste might just convince them.

That would be the issue, we're not even in the 1k range of TOTAL regular players.

Offline Gn-Kng

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #190 on: January 30, 2013, 01:35:12 AM »
still...the game is very very good, a benchmark even...

Offline McGondy

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +19/-0
In a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies

Offline Aposiopesis

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +52/-0
« Reply #192 on: March 12, 2013, 09:54:43 AM »
I really don't play MWLL anymore (had some crashing issues that threw me out for a while), but I thought I'd fly by to drop my 2 cents.

First, this has the foul reek of someone taking a giant steamer all over the concept of fair use. And yes, I'm quite aware of what details 'fair use.' But really, legal strong-arming like this takes place all the time with IP, particularly in the corporate end of the software development world.

There's also the awkwardness of having members/ex-members of the dev team involved in the development of the licensed IP. Things become a lot messier there, and as such I do not 'blame' anyone for stopping. I would not particularly want to see someone's livelihood threatened over a free time project. On the other hand, there should not be anything stopping them from releasing their work to the developers who are not directly involved with the companies of the IP... at least, not the assets that were developed before the IP came into use (even then there's a lot of grey area). This is where the legal strong-arming comes into play. The alternative there is, well, some of the devs involved did not want to release their source/material to others, which as a professional I find quite understandable regarding one's portfolio (even though I do not agree/that would not be my personal choice).

Ultimately, as previous posters as indicated, any foul feelings should not be directed at the (ex) devs. Keep in mind the wave of half-truths and mixed up stories are probably as such for a reason, and some employed people need to cover their butts. If you have an issue with that ("it's all about the money" and such ludicrous statements), please quit your job and come be my manservant bitch for free.

Anyhow, thanks to the devs for what has been done. What has been accomplished has been most impressive for an unpaid, closed source project. A pity development has to end like this (whatever "this" may be), but c'est la vie.

This is mostly something of a thanks and a goodbye, as I really haven't touched MWO since before any of this mess in the past came about. Given the circumstances, I feel this is the most appropriate place to do it. Who knows, maybe I'll play again sometime (though admittedly a lot of my desired features were killed and my present desire is low).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:06:46 AM by Aposiopesis »

Offline Mattk50

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-0
« Reply #193 on: June 06, 2013, 11:34:50 PM »
Please be aware that those of us Dev's who jumped in on this some, 7-8 yrs ago, have moved on to other things in our lives. You may not be aware of it but, the original premise to  this MW mod was going to be built off the Quake 4 engine.

I keep reading this from certain people, but all im getting out of it is that "some devs have moved on, and therefore its alright that the devs that continued to want to and to develop the game have been forced to stop".

Offline «Çߧ»Trooper_Thorn

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +6/-0
  • Galaxy Commander of Iota Galaxy, Clan Blood Spirit
« Reply #194 on: June 28, 2013, 11:52:03 AM »
My disappointment in MWO has pushed me to do something that I had not done since MW/Battle tech came to the PC, end my involvement. I now play primarily STO and a couple of flight Sims. The best game ever was and always will be MWLL. RIP MWLL, only if y'all had the backing of a major game distributor. As always the best gets shoved aside for an inferior product that is nothing but world of tanks in a Mech. I understand MWLL was only in fledgling stage and missions had not yet been introduced yet combined arms was the cats meow everything I could have hoped for in a MechWarrior game. Thanks guys for all the great work I am just sorry some corporate jack wagons had so little class that they forced the early shut down of a product that was better representative of the richness of the MW universe.

Think on this, I have been playing MW/BT PC games since Crescent Hawks inception in the 80's and MWO has put the game in the coffin finally for me. That sucks even though Grem bought a copy of the single Mech founders pack for me as a gift because of my financial situation. I have only had frustration and yes my video still is crappy and hard to see at times because the game is made for NVidia and nothing else, I still do not have the finances to buy an NVidia card comparable or better than my Crossfire X set up that works great with MWLL, STO, WOT, Rise of Flight, War Thunder (Open Beta) and World of Warplanes (NDA has been removed and they will go to open Beta in July). Best of luck and my best wishes to the crew that was responsible  for MWLL. :(

Νέμεσις
"Let our enemies learn the true meaning of Nemesis!"