Author Topic: Message from the Founders  (Read 43187 times)

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-1
    • 12th Vegan Rangers Forum
Re: Message from the Founders
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2013, 05:06:14 AM »
I just dont understand why the dev team can't just keep working on the features of the game that don't overlap with MWO.

I mean seriously just look at all the items that weren't finished that have absolutely nothing to do with MWO (listed below).

Wouldn't it be nice to just ask MWO on an item-by-item basis what would be allowed and what wouldn't be allowed? There's no way that these sorts of additions to MWLL would compete with MWO. I've been playing both games, MWLL isn't keeping money out of IGP's pockets

And I second Square and Knightcrawler's sentiments, I'm not really satisfied with this answer. I'd like to know more. Of course, I can't demand anything, that would be absurd (seeing as Wandering Samurai has been volunteer work and all), but I still think that as a long-time player and member of the community  I, neigh, we all deserve more than no reason at all as your reason for stopping.

- MechLab
- Aerospace HUD
- BattleArmor Claw
- Revised Buy Menu
- Revised Launch/Start menu
- User Selectable Ammo Types (MWO may yet add this so I'm not sure on this one)
- Full Damage/Impact sound set
- External Destructible Equipment Slots
- Finalized Internal Damage Components

Playable Assets:
- Kodiak
- Marauder
- Commando

- Schrek Tank
- APC variants
- Hunchback IIc
- Mobile Field Base
- Anhur Aerospace
- Xerxes Aerospace
- Kharnov Aerospace
- Svantovit Hovercraft
- Alacorn Assault Tank
- Commando Light ‘Mech(Lol, they listed 'Commando' twice)
- Swiftwind Scout vehicle
- Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Phalanx Heavy Battle Armor

Game Modes:
- Capture the Flag game mode
- Planetary Assault game mode
- Team Domination game mode
(I've got no idea on game modes and whatever MWO is planning in that department)

Maps:
- Cold Steel
- Scorched
- Palace Gates
- Cavernous
- Wildlands
- TC_Ascent
- TC_Breach
- TC_Clearcut
- TC_Enkeladus
- TC_Extremity
- TC_Harvest
- TC_IndustrialRiverbed
- TC_Ridgeline
- TC_Tremors
- SA_Vesuvius

Sound:
- In-game ambient music
- MWLL specific F-key radio dialog
- Unique sounds for each mech including ambience and movement/torso sounds
- Replacement sounds for every crysis weapon/asset
- Dialog for events: under 5:00 minutes, under 20 tickets, etc
- Replacement sound for all the subpar ticks, warnings, beeps, etc
- Elimination of sounds cutting out
Member of the 12th Vegan Rangers
http://twelfthvr.freeforums.org/index.php

See who is playing MWLL right now, without having to start the game: http://stats.spikx.net/mwll.html

Offline Pabst

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-0
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2013, 05:19:41 AM »
GAHHHHH!! >:(

Thanks for all the hard work. Its a beautiful game and a masterpiece.

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2013, 05:51:59 AM »
Oops. Forgot to give my thanks.

Nothing I could say could be as eloquent as what has already been said. You folks did a bang-up job and deserve a greater share of the internet cookies than most people alive today. I'll still be hoping for more content of course, but in the meantime I wish you all the best of luck in your endeavors.

See who is playing MWLL right now, without having to start the game: http://stats.spikx.net/mwll.html

Offline KingLeerUK

• Hawkmoth D arise!
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +534/-19
  • Hawmoth "D" Ascendant
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2013, 06:01:18 AM »
I just dont understand why the dev team can't just keep working on the features of the game that don't overlap with MWO.

I mean seriously just look at all the items that weren't finished that have absolutely nothing to do with MWO (listed below).

1. It's much more complicated than that.
2. It simply won't happen.
3. Some communications must remain privy between the team leadership and the PGI representatives.

I know it's not the "answer" you want, but it is all that can be given.
Proud vendor of Soon™, brought to you by the makers of Someday™, Make Me a Ticket™ and Let's Talk About it Later™

Never mistake "the audience" for "the community".

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +340/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2013, 06:09:17 AM »
Don't agree with point three at this stage, but hey it's not like I know all the facts.

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2013, 06:21:26 AM »

1. It's much more complicated than that.
2. It simply won't happen.
3. Some communications must remain privy between the team leadership and the PGI representatives.

I know it's not the "answer" you want, but it is all that can be given.

So it is PGI that is making you stop. Goddammit.

Offline Boost

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +2/-0
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 06:31:01 AM »
This entire situation has sounded very fishy with different stories from different people, but I think that stems from the fact that stories change as rumors go from person to person. I'm pretty certain that all of this (abrupt stop in development) is based on legal issues relating to the rights to the MechWarrior IP and I think we may need to consider ourselves lucky that 0.7.0 was released in the first place. It's pretty obvious (reading on both the MWLL and MWO boards) that there are some upset people about all this, but like already alluded to in previous posts - this mod was made based on an IP during a time that no one else was interested in it commercially.

I just don't understand why there has to be so much smoke and mirrors around the entire truth behind the situation. I think the community deserves to know the truth.

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 06:47:26 AM »
This entire situation has sounded very fishy with different stories from different people, but I think that stems from the fact that stories change as rumors go from person to person. I'm pretty certain that all of this (abrupt stop in development) is based on legal issues relating to the rights to the MechWarrior IP and I think we may need to consider ourselves lucky that 0.7.0 was released in the first place. It's pretty obvious (reading on both the MWLL and MWO boards) that there are some upset people about all this, but like already alluded to in previous posts - this mod was made based on an IP during a time that no one else was interested in it commercially.

I just don't understand why there has to be so much smoke and mirrors around the entire truth behind the situation. I think the community deserves to know the truth.

If we want the truth we should demand it from PGI and IGP, not from the devs here. It sounds to me like here their hands are tied.

Offline Cik

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +55/-2
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2013, 06:48:44 AM »
Greeting Living Legends!

In light of recent confusion and rumors, the co-owner of Wandering Samurai Studios and I are here to clear some things up.

First and foremost there has not, nor has there ever been, any legal action or threat of legal action leveraged against the MechWarrior: Living Legends development team. This was an assumption of a small amount of volunteers based on incomplete information.

To clarify, the decision to discontinue development of MechWarrior: Living Legends was made by the founders and owners of the project. On behalf of all the people involved in MechWarrior: Living Legends we must sincerely apologize to all parties affected by this miscommunication.

In closing, development on this project has officially come to an end. We thank you for your support and express our hope for the continued success of the MechWarrior franchise.

-Criminal and Kamikaze

jesus christ, a more insincere and PR bullshit message one could not imagine. whatever your role in the origin of this project, you don't deserve respect for this. you killed something promising. did you have a hand in defender's coverup? your post offers no truth, only more stupid half-lies and misdirection. "we must sincerely apologize" yeah right. if you cared at all you would not have let the headsman's axe fall.

Offline :(

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-14
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2013, 07:02:07 AM »
blah blah i think the community deserves to know the truth.

Some developers, including KINGLEER, have put HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of hours into this project.  With all this effort we put in for a free game and you want to know every detail from every developer about the end of our development cycle? Give a little more respect. 
The Left Radar boob is your best friend

Offline Byz

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-1
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2013, 07:11:03 AM »
The opposite is true. We know that the dev team has done a marvelous work.
What we do not understand is why the "founders" of this have abandoned the ship. This mod is amazing and the team of "devs" involved have done so much to bring their dream to life.
So why? So much work involved and now just quit?
Money. It comes to money for "Founders"?
Really? So we were all lead astray to play this and now it is taken away? For money?
Old Guy

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2013, 07:17:51 AM »
Greeting Living Legends!

In light of recent confusion and rumors, the co-owner of Wandering Samurai Studios and I are here to clear some things up.

First and foremost there has not, nor has there ever been, any legal action or threat of legal action leveraged against the MechWarrior: Living Legends development team. This was an assumption of a small amount of volunteers based on incomplete information.

To clarify, the decision to discontinue development of MechWarrior: Living Legends was made by the founders and owners of the project. On behalf of all the people involved in MechWarrior: Living Legends we must sincerely apologize to all parties affected by this miscommunication.

In closing, development on this project has officially come to an end. We thank you for your support and express our hope for the continued success of the MechWarrior franchise.

-Criminal and Kamikaze

jesus christ, a more insincere and PR bullshit message one could not imagine. whatever your role in the origin of this project, you don't deserve respect for this. you killed something promising. did you have a hand in defender's coverup? your post offers no truth, only more stupid half-lies and misdirection. "we must sincerely apologize" yeah right. if you cared at all you would not have let the headsman's axe fall.
I'm pretty sure this BS isn't their fault. Why would the devs, recently former devs, or devs from years ago, why would any of them try to cover this all up? This reeks of corporate debauchery. I say we congratulate the devs on their good work. Enjoy the product. And ask PGI/IGP/Microsoft to stop being assholes. I know that both the devs and the folks over at PGI both said that things were gentlemanly, but frankly I don't believe it. There has got to be something here keeping the devs quiet and I'll bet it has to do with the corporate powers that be threatening to deny MWLL access to servers through gamespy.
This is what I think happened.

An ultimatum: stop your work (save for bug fixing) or you will get a cease and desist letter.
Lie to the community that this all ended peacefully or we will get your server access revoked.

This is what I think happened. The corporate could have been even ruder than this, so we should at least be thankful for that.
Conspiracy theories aside, thank you so much for all you have done you awesome devs. You have given me countless hours of fun (more than I would like to admit), I cant say thank you enough.

Offline [CG]Anastasius Focht

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-9079
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2013, 07:32:28 AM »
I get the anger, i really do
But at the end of the day it is what it is, no amount of recriminations are going to change things

Those who are just learning this news are only going through the same phases of grief we all have.

But yeah lets keep it classy and show due respect.

The best payback (both sides of this issue) is to play this great game, often and with joy.

The best way to support the devs and their hard work
The best way to stick it to those who have tried to shut it down

Is to play the game, and keep it alive

The Devs have given all the enthusiasm they are allowed to, its up to us the playerbase to take that and multiply it to maximum effect.

Like any other off the shelf out of the box game weve bought, this one is complete.

The rest is up to us

You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anastasius_Focht

Offline The Spartan

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-0
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2013, 08:08:37 AM »

This makes me sick.

Offline Ravir

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-0
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2013, 08:11:46 AM »
It was my pleasure to engineer the first real "mech HUD" for MWLL and the UI methods that were advanced in later versions.  I learned several different technologies on my own time just to get in on this project, along with all the ridiculous headaches that the Flash integration ended up exposing, and brought a key friend in that helped it make it this far.  I am very proud of how far this project went, and that I had a part in it.  Even though it's been quite some time since I was able to be active in the development, it still feels very much "my baby".

That being said, there is this thing called a Non-Disclosure Agreement.  That means there are things that we cannot disclose.  Ever.  It's not a cover up, or a "different story".  It's part of life in this industry.  Please respect that. 

It's been summed up pretty succinctly.  We never owned the IP.  We were allowed to make a fanboy's dream for no profit because nobody else was doing anything with it commercially.  Those circumstances no longer exist.  It is my belief that this group likely holds a great deal of credit for the fact that MW:O even exists.  In essence, we proved the existence of a living, breathing community just WAITING to give someone money for a great MechWarrior game.  It is my HOPE that since MWLL is "in the wilds", that the power of its awesomeness will continually send shockwaves to Microsoft and PGI to show them how truly amazing a Combined Arms BattleTech Game is, and how it can really be a profitable, viable commercial product.  At the very least, nobody can justify the opinion that "it would never work"...

Because we did it.