Author Topic: MWLL Art: The Uncompleted  (Read 16637 times)

Offline Mattk50

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-0
Re: MWLL Art: The Uncompleted
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2013, 08:41:41 AM »
With every moment on these forums my pure rage bubbles and hisses

Offline IG-64

• Apprentice Dev
  • Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +2/-0
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2013, 10:39:37 AM »
Avar. Planned for 0.9. Priority: Medium.
  Artist: Unasigned.
I actually finished the high and low for this, and did some animation work. It was just too late and I took too long.

Offline Mech Daddy

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-54
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2013, 11:44:23 AM »
Can you post kodiaks, if the base model is finished or close to?

Offline IG-64

• Apprentice Dev
  • Bondsman
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2013, 12:24:54 PM »
Can you post kodiaks, if the base model is finished or close to?
Sure, I think I can do that. I'll put together some renders of the Kodiak and Avar and post them here later on today.

Offline Snow Gibbon

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-8
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2013, 12:48:59 PM »
If you've got environmental objects in the now-closed pipeline, perhaps you could upload them somewhere as a resource for map makers?
12th Vegan Rangers - Missile spam is the best kind of spam!

Offline [IPA] Avatar

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-4
  • Kiss me, I'm shitfaced!
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2013, 01:46:53 PM »
Dat King David. It's sechsy. Not like we'll see it working  :'(.

Offline =KoS= Finalizer

• The bomb diggity diggity
  • MWLL Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +61/-0
  • ORE WA BATTLEMECH
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 03:52:02 PM »
They took mah Men Shen baby away from meeeeee~ ;_;

Anyway, as a mapper, I can at least still do stuff for the community, so there's that much for me, but it still bums me out on a pure principal level that I can't release maps "officially" anymore. But since we're release seekrit dev stuffs in this thread anyway, I figure it's probably safe to post this concept video of a cool idea I had for a map, which would have become TC_Tremors at some point in the future.

Superior commit notes for superior developers

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +125/-33
  • Cheese!
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 03:53:19 PM »
They took mah Men Shen baby away from meeeeee~ ;_;

Anyway, as a mapper, I can at least still do stuff for the community, so there's that much for me, but it still bums me out on a pure principal level that I can't release maps "officially" anymore. But since we're release seekrit dev stuffs in this thread anyway, I figure it's probably safe to post this concept video of a cool idea I had for a map, which would have become TC_Tremors at some point in the future.

If you can still release, why the past tense?
My milk shakes!

Offline =KoS= Finalizer

• MWLL Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • ORE WA BATTLEMECH
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2013, 03:57:56 PM »
If you can still release, why the past tense?

In the sense of "I had this idea some time ago, but never got to really working on it and still haven't." Considering starting on it at some point in the future.

After I finish what's already on my plate

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2013, 03:59:52 PM »
 That would have been awesome in an Inferno like map.  OH NOES THE VOLCANO IT'S ERUPTING!

Offline =KoS= Finalizer

• MWLL Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • ORE WA BATTLEMECH
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2013, 04:06:44 PM »
To give a bit more background, the idea was to have a map where, after some time interval, there would be a massive earthquake across the entire map, where you would have terrain shift around in different ways - some rocks would crumble to reveal small ravines you might be able to travel through with mechs, while other narrow passageways might be closed off by fallen debris. Overall, the map's flow would periodically change throughout the match due to the earthquakes, forcing pilots to quickly adapt to the changing terrain and learn to use new passageways.

The biggest issue would've been having a minimap that updated after each earthquake to show the new paths - there are few more ways to aggravate a busy programmer than to request special programming for a single asset or map.

Offline Ch3m1kal

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +59/-2
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2013, 04:12:03 PM »
To give a bit more background, the idea was to have a map where, after some time interval, there would be a massive earthquake across the entire map, where you would have terrain shift around in different ways - some rocks would crumble to reveal small ravines you might be able to travel through with mechs, while other narrow passageways might be closed off by fallen debris. Overall, the map's flow would periodically change throughout the match due to the earthquakes, forcing pilots to quickly adapt to the changing terrain and learn to use new passageways.

The biggest issue would've been having a minimap that updated after each earthquake to show the new paths - there are few more ways to aggravate a busy programmer than to request special programming for a single asset or map.

That's fantastic!
Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +339/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2013, 04:17:21 PM »
Heh, I remember talking to Deathbane about similar aspects in map design that I would like to see in MWLL.

Very good.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2013, 04:17:37 PM »

That's awesome!  I'd say DON'T update the mini map.  For org matches it would force the teams to use scouts to actually find the paths.  WHAT A NOVEL IDEA! ;) Just put a blurb in the loading screen about the shifting terrain makes maps fairly unreliable.

Offline IG-64

• Apprentice Dev
  • Bondsman
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2013, 05:02:35 PM »
Well, since this is all any of you will probably ever see of these, here's some giant renders I put together of the Kodiak and Avar high polies. You might notice I kept a lot of details from the original Kodiak design which I remodeled and cleaned up, while the rest is my own design. The low poly models of both of these were also finished, which I can post if anyone's interested (later, I'm going to bed.) I don't know the status of the Kodiak's textures (if any) as I was not involved in that.

I'm disappointed that these didn't make it to the final release, but I absolutely understand why that is. I didn't give the team very much time to get them in game (especially the Avar which I finished earlier this month,) and with everything else that was going on I'm not surprised these didn't make it in. I'm just grateful that Defender and Vlaad trusted me with such high profile projects (including the Atlas head redesign) when I don't even play MWLL and hadn't worked on much else, and I'd like to thank them for that and for being so supportive. It was interesting to experience the development of MWLL vicariously through my brother Invictus, and I got some pretty good portfolio material out of it.