Author Topic: New Game Mode still possible for mappers - Assault  (Read 3463 times)

Offline :(

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-14
New Game Mode still possible for mappers - Assault
« on: January 17, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »
I just want to throw this idea out there since there were never resources to put momentum behind it.  It is entirely possible to have a win condition set by destroying an object with mapping tools ALONE. Frost set up a map where you could shoot an object with hitpoints, he used a satellite dish, and once it was destroyed an entity would collapse from the sky and kill all other players ending the round.  If any mappers are interested, I can send you his map I know I have it somewhere.

Some of the limitations: you cannot target the object without code (maybe you can try other objects?), reticule doesn't turn red.  That's it!  We tested this with a full server and using flowgraphs did not cause extra lag or any other issues.

So mappers, experiment with this so we can give new life into .7 after the new toys become old toys.  You can combine this with terrain capture or other game modes!

Update: I think this is an early version of the map - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43027398/TSA_Dustbowl_Arena.zip

Still trying to reach frost to get his cry files so mappers can see how he made the flowgraphs work.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 10:33:08 PM by TwinkleToes »
The Left Radar boob is your best friend

Offline blasto

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
Re: New Game Mode still possible for mappers - Assault
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 07:08:54 PM »
I remember testing that map and game mode with Frost quite some time ago.

It was actually working well, and I enjoyed it.  It really didn't seem to me like it needed much more work, seemed almost ready to go from my own point of view.

Of course, I don't speak for Frost and I'm uncertain of how mush more work it actually needed, but the mechanics were sound.

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +39/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 07:46:58 PM »
That was the modified Dustbowl, right?

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +80/-1
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 07:47:50 PM »
So whichever team rolls out a longtom first, wins?

In soviet clanspace, trinary bids you.

Offline blasto

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 07:51:16 PM »
That was the modified Dustbowl, right?

Yea, it was a modified version of Dustbowl.  You were definitely there.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 07:52:33 PM »

The mappers could put up base AMS around the objectives to take down the LT shells, LRMs, and Arrows (not sure if it works on Fbombs).  Course that would probably make Gauss, ER LBL/PPC the weapons of choice.

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +125/-33
  • Cheese!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 07:54:02 PM »
Can I ask what obstacles precluded this 'game mode' from being offically supported? I recall a year ago, the SJs all had a chat  when NotSoCoolJ was learning flowgraphs and we all saw that this was possible.
My milk shakes!

Offline blasto

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 08:02:18 PM »

The mappers could put up base AMS around the objectives to take down the LT shells, LRMs, and Arrows (not sure if it works on Fbombs).  Course that would probably make Gauss, ER LBL/PPC the weapons of choice.

This is similar to how it was implemented.  The objectives were inside a walled base with huge indestructible walls several times taller than any mech. The walled bases had a set of doors on one side that were destructible and had massive amounts of HP.  The objective itself also had massive HP.  It really took several mechs firing on it constantly for almost a minute to bring it down.

When the doors were under attack, there was even a warning to the team stating so, and when the doors were destroyed another warning came.  A Long Tom would run out of ammo before destroying the objective if it didn't have an APC nearby.

All in all it was a lot of fun, and I wish it would have made it into the game proper.

This mode was created through the efforts of ONE MAN (<3 Frost).  I'd love to see it implemented now if only to rub it in the noses in some other game devs who can't seem to get a handle on what proper innovative game modes look like.  Sorry, I couldn't help it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:12:36 PM by blasto »

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 08:35:40 PM »
Sure send it.  I'm curious how killing all alive players ends the round though.  Why did he never released it as a custom?
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline blasto

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
I'm curious how killing all alive players ends the round though.  Why did he never released it as a custom?

The mode had respawns enabled.  The only way to end it was by destroying the objective or round timer expiration. It made for some nice sustained base assaults and defenses.  I think the most we had to test it at one time was 8 on 8.  A full match would probably have been pure epic.

Funny thing though was when one team did destroy their objective.  There was a 3 second timer, and all players left alive on both teams had their pilots explode in their cockpits in a shower of guts.  LOL worthy.

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 08:46:32 PM »
Can I ask what obstacles precluded this 'game mode' from being offically supported? I recall a year ago, the SJs all had a chat  when NotSoCoolJ was learning flowgraphs and we all saw that this was possible.

If it were going to be a new official game mode it would have gotten full treatment from the whole team - code, sound, art, maps, textures, etc.  However, it can still be done.  Put on the loading screen "destroy the X in the enemy base to win."  The enemy base can be their spawn hangar with the "power generator" protected right next to it.

It was only really put together as a testbed and we pulled some people off teamspeak to help us test it.

Offline [MPB]OM_Sannyasi

• Senior Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-1
  • Settin standards for paid MW:O employees since 08'
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 05:58:48 AM »
also, taiga has all bases capturable, not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere- the starting home bases are capturable just like the middle ones. you can setup that game mode by setting the starting bases up just like any other tc cap point but start one spawn group/mechbay up to the opposite sides (black/tan)

I make people earn their checks ;)

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-1
  • But mom said it was MY turn to post!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 12:48:57 AM »
This sounds really cool. I can see an experienced mapper really taking this above and beyond.

"Destroy the 4 gigantic orbital defense batteries to bring in an Overlord Class dropship to kill everything."
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline Spifficus

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +11/-0
  • HELL YEAH! THIS GAME ROCKS!!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 04:33:04 PM »
Love that idea.   8)
THIS IS PRETTY MUCH THE ONLY GAME I PLAY. LOVE IT!!!
Watch out! This moving target might bite back!
My Youtube Vids
http://www.youtube.com/user/darkcloud1979?feature=mhum

Happiness is an inside job

Intel i7 930 2.8ghz CPU, Asus P6T mobo, 10gb DDR3 Tri-channel Ram 1066, 1x Nvidia GTX550 ti 1 GB DDR5 and 1x 8800gt 528MB for physics, Windows 7 Ultimate

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 10:33:37 PM »
I think this was one of the test maps: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43027398/TSA_Dustbowl_Arena.zip

Not positive and I can't open MWLL at the moment