Author Topic: OUTDATED - MWLL 0.7.1 plus Crysis Wars Trial 1.5 Combined Installer - Release  (Read 112972 times)

Offline Pytak

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-0
  • Weekend Warrior
    • pytak.net
Re: Crysis Wars Trial 1.5 plus MWLL 0.7 Combined Installer - Beta
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 10:15:07 PM »
The game detected I had a X86 OS system?

Yeah, that's exactly what happened. The Bin64 folder only appears if the installer is running on an x86 operating system.

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
Re: Crysis Wars Trial 1.5 plus MWLL 0.7 Combined Installer - Beta
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 07:50:51 AM »
Don't you mean x86-64? Otherwise it would have shown up on Bruno's.

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline Gouty

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +137/-5
  • =CJW= Chief Whip
MWLL 0.7 plus Crysis Wars Trial 1.5 Combined Installer
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 09:42:51 AM »
Installer updated to v0.7

Changes:
  • Made it so the uninstaller removes the InstallDIR value from the registry
  • Added the 64-Bit binaries (they were in the trial all along, it's just that the original machine used to install was 32-bit)
  • Changed the wording of the installer info to emphasise that Crysis Wars does not include maps
  • Removed the default config file from installation
  • Changed the name from "Crysis Wars plus MWLL" to "MWLL plus Crysis Wars"

Now ready for distribution, tell your friends (still test though please and let me know of your findings!)

Link - Here

Also updated the opening post
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"
If you take this seriously, you're some kind of mouth-breathing fappwit that shouldn't have survived infancy.

Offline [CG]Anastasius Focht

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-9079
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
Re: MWLL 0.7 plus Crysis Wars Trial 1.5 Combined Installer
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 09:58:06 AM »
Once its tested and finalised, I'll add a link at www.hpgrelay.com

So when i click on the link it asks me what i want to do with a zip file

Can you give me a basic set of instructions to pin over the link ie DL the zip, open X folder run this exe etc etc.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:04:57 AM by [CG]Anastasius Focht »
You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anastasius_Focht

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 10:10:53 AM »
Darn it, I was at 63%.

Okay, downloading new file.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 05:01:14 PM by Bloodycrow »

Offline [CG]Anastasius Focht

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-9079
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 10:19:42 AM »
As i see it you are preachin to the choir here.
That is everyone has a copy of the game installed.

Someone needs to borrow the wifes laptop or similar and DL and document the process

A vanilla install via this link, once we get this documentation, i am happy to post the whole shebang at HPG.

You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anastasius_Focht

Offline Gouty

• Lance Captain
  • =CJW= Chief Whip
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 10:25:41 AM »
Instructions:

Unzip MWLL-0.7+CW.zip
Run MWLL+CW_setup.exe (ensure the .bins are in the same folder)
Click "Next" a whole bunch of times
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"
If you take this seriously, you're some kind of mouth-breathing fappwit that shouldn't have survived infancy.

Offline Gouty

• Lance Captain
  • =CJW= Chief Whip
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 02:25:21 PM »
Double post, but nevermind.

Just added instructions to the first post

• Download MWLL-0.7+CW.zip from here
  • Extract the files to a folder (double click the zip and press "extract all files")
  • Ensure that the three .bin files are in the same folder as the .exe
  • Run the MWLL+CW_setup.exe

Also made a readme because I got bored (will include in the next .zip bundle that I'll probably make with 0.7.1)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 11:43:13 AM by Gouty »

Offline Gouty

• Lance Captain
  • =CJW= Chief Whip
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 11:42:47 PM »
I'll update to 0.7.1 tomorrow

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 02:22:59 AM »
Blah. Only at 47% due to rainy weather. It's not going to finish by tomorrow.

You probably won't need my feedback by the time I actually manage to get all of it, but I'll still download it eventually since it's for my woman's computer, and she doesn't have a copy of Crysis Wars/MWLL on it.

Thanks for your work on this guys.

Offline Az

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +49/-0
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 02:28:20 AM »
I'll update to 0.7.1 tomorrow

Damn. I installed 0.7.0 earlier today and now I have to post my observations before I can go to bed.

Populates the InstallDir in the relevant part of the registry

That part didn't work for me. I installed Wars in a non-default directory and the MWLL installer didn't pick it up. Using Windows 7 64b.

I used ProcessMonitor and tracked down the error: the MWLL installer queried for HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Crytek\Crysis Wars\InstallDir, but the registry key the MWLL+CW installer set up was named HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Crytek\Crysis Wars\InstallDir.

What's happening here is that Windows is managing that Wow6432Node stuff by itself. It doesn't need to be added to the query in the installer script, and I guess that's what happened.

I downloaded Inno Setup to test that hypothesis (that's what you're using, right?). I manually set the correct value for HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Crytek\Crysis Wars\InstallDir. The MWLL installer picked it up. I used the following code in an Inno script and it also read the correct value. Windows did the translation automatically.

Code: [Select]
  if RegQueryStringValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, 'SOFTWARE\Crytek\Crysis Wars', 'InstallDir', InstallDir)
    then MsgBox('InstallDir: ' + InstallDir, mbInformation, MB_OK);

Made it so the uninstaller removes the InstallDIR value from the registry

Did not test it, but it will likely needs to be fixed too :).

Creates a blank profile without having to load up Crysis Wars first

This is just to nitpick, but the attributes.xml included in that default profile contains a bunch of settings, among other things. Probably harmless but I don't know how Crysis would react if a computer didn't support the configured resolution (it can be pretty stupid with malformed profiles...). Anyway, that file can safely be stripped down to:
Code: [Select]
<Attributes Version="8">
 <Attr name="Activated" value="1"/>
</Attributes>

Changed the wording of the installer info to emphasise that Crysis Wars does not include maps

That wording seemed quite weird for me installing a non-functional program? There must be a better way to put it.

That's how the installer info was displayed to me:

WARNING

WORK IN PROGRESS - For testing purposes only (Version 0.7)

Fan Created Installer- Not endorsed by Crytek, EA or Wandering
Samurai

Use at own risk.

This will install a non-functional* trial version of Crysis Wars
required to run MWLL, followed by the latest version of MWLL. 
-----------------------last-line-before-scrolling-----------------------
Do not run if you already have Crysis Wars installed (this will
overwrite your product key)

We have compiled this single installer to try and ease some of
the problems that people who wanted to play the game were
experiencing.

This product is not for sale.

*It has had the Crysis Wars maps removed to save space

Be excellent to each other

An important information needs scrolling to be visible, and the asterisk relegating the maps explanation at the end of the text looks weird.

Here is a suggestion for some modifications:

WARNING

WORK IN PROGRESS - For testing purposes only (Version 0.7)

Fan Created Installer Not endorsed by Crytek, EA or Wandering
Samurai.  Use at own risk.

This will install a not fully functional trial version of Crysis
Wars (without multiplayer maps) sufficient to run MWLL, followed by the
latest version of MWLL. 
Do not run if you already have Crysis Wars installed (this will
-----------------------last-line-before-scrolling-----------------------
overwrite your product key)

We have compiled this single installer to try and ease some of
the problems that people who wanted to play the game were
experiencing.

This product is not for sale.

Be excellent to each other

I'm not sure the wording itself has been improved much, I'm no native English speaker, but I believe it improves the presentation of information in the text.

Do not run if you already have Crysis Wars installed (this will overwrite your product key)

Oh and about that... I have an idea to fix this issue, but it will have to wait for tomorrow. I hope I'll have the time to finish it.

Offline Gouty

• Lance Captain
  • =CJW= Chief Whip
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 11:10:07 AM »
Wow!  That is some great feedback right there!

Thanks for that, and I'll be sure to make those changes for the 0.7.1 release.

You are correct with your assertion, I am using Inno (which I am new to) I didn't think it would be intelligent enough to know to populate the Wow6432Node on a 64bit OS by default! so I used "Check: IsWin64" at the end of the registry parts

I'll take out the unnecessary parts from the profile XML, I didn't know how much I could remove.

I'm looking forward to hearing your ideas for a solution to the key issue.  At the moment we are running a .bat that creates the random value (kindly assisted by TrollerLover in its creation).  Inno Setup does have some useful features (e.g. only update the registry value if it does not already exist) but in order to generate the random number or run the .bat if a certain part of the registry does not already exist you have to use the "Code" section which is written in Pascal (which I am not versed in whatsoever!)  useful site http://www.jrsoftware.org/isfaq.php#difffiles

As for the wording of the information, you are right, it does need rephrasing, English is my first language, but unfortunately I am still crap at it!  I'll give it some more thought this evening when I make the 0.7.1 installer.

Oh, by the way!  If you are are versed in Inno and know how to get around the silly "2,100,000,000 bytes" limit before you have to start disk spanning, then please let me know!

Thanks again

Edit: Pointless statement about this being my 500th post, wooo
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:07:20 PM by Gouty »

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +339/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 02:11:23 PM »
And people seriously doubt that cjw is best clan  :P

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +156/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 02:24:42 PM »
Oh, by the way!  If you are are versed in Inno and know how to get around the silly "2,100,000,000 bytes" limit before you have to start disk spanning, then please let me know!

Hm, isn't that limit supposed to be gone with Inno Setup 4.0.0-pre1 (2003-04-18)?

Offline Az

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +49/-0
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 03:31:49 PM »
I'm looking forward to hearing your ideas for a solution to the key issue. [...] in order to generate the random number or run the .bat if a certain part of the registry does not already exist you have to use the "Code" section which is written in Pascal (which I am not versed in whatsoever!)

Well, that was exactly my idea, although I don't know Pascal any more than you do. Or at least I didn't 24 hours ago... hence the "I hope I'll have the time to finish it" part.

Right now, I have written a script for a one-page setup that can read and write the key to the registry.
I still have to write the functions to make sure the key is well formatted, generate one if needed, plus a bunch of error checks... And I'm pretty sure I will run into some UI issues as well.

By the way, I have to choose which page that custom page will follow during the installation procedure. I don't remember what was the order exactly, but I think right after the "Warning - fan created installer" page would be a good place. That would correspond to the InfoBeforeFile directive, right? What do you think?

As I said, I installed Inno yesterday, and I am still in the process of learning Pascal syntax... so "well versed", not really. But that limit is not unique to Inno, other installers have it too for compatibility reasons.

Hm, isn't that limit supposed to be gone with Inno Setup 4.0.0-pre1 (2003-04-18)?

Not really, it seems that limit was for the entire installation. Here's the quote from that version's changelog:
The 2 GB limitation is gone; the total size of an installation's files can now be up to 2^63 bytes (that's over 8,000,000,000 gigabytes) or thereabouts. Individual files can also be this large, but note that FAT and FAT32 partitions have file size limitations of 2 GB and 4 GB respectively.
The maximum size of a compiled setup.exe file remains 2,100,000,000 bytes, so if you are creating an installation with a compressed size larger than that, it is necessary to enable the disk spanning feature (by setting DiskSpanning to yes and DiskSliceSize to a large number) to split the installation into smaller chunks, even if you don't actually have multiple physical disks. For more information, see the updated description of the DiskSpanning directive in the help file.

Even if the 2GB limit is a bit silly (FAT16 is ancient), the 4 GB one isn't. FAT32 and ISO9660 (DVDs) are still in use, and it appears some older implementations erroneously turn that 4 GB limit into a 2 GB one (4 GB = 32 bit unsigned, 2 GB = 32 bit signed).