Author Topic: Chat On/Off  (Read 4329 times)

Offline Werewolf486}12thVR{

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-1
Chat On/Off
« on: February 01, 2013, 10:46:05 PM »
I'm hoping that the Dev team would be willing to put a Chat on/off under settings. My 10 year old son wants to play, and I'm all for the next generation of MW players, but he's still to young to see the crap we all type into the chat. Just adding the simple on/off would allow me to have my son join me and my wife in playing this mod as a family. Even my 6 year old is interested in playing and may get the chance to join in from time to time, but only if I can turn off the chat.

Please on/off switch for chat?
NEW: Cooler Master ATSC840                                                    OLD: Cooler Master ATSC840
ASUS LGA2011 Rampage IV Black Edition/Intel i7-4930K             ASUS LGA775 Rampage Extreme/Intel Q9550S
ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/27" ASUS Monitor                          ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/ 24" ASUS Monitor
16GB Corsair Vengeance/Razor Nostromo/M70,M65 Corsair         8GB OCZ Reaper/ N52te/Sidewinder
Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit                                     Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit
250gb Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/500GB WD Blue x 2 in Raid1        80GB Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/750GB WD Blue x2 in Raid1

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
Re: Chat On/Off
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 11:54:41 PM »
Not possible at this point. Sorry.
The only way to do it would be to type CL_HUD 0 into the console (~) but in turn your UI is completely gone.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +158/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 11:57:02 PM »
Hmm, isn't the in-game chat sent over a different, specific port? May be I remember that wrong (could be another game I am thinking of).

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 12:00:44 AM »
Could be. If anyone has the info it could be handy.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 12:48:28 AM »
http://www.crydev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Crysis_Wars_Server_Documentation&oldid=21025#Game_Port.28s.29 -> Here it doesn't lists it.

You could try reproducing the rainbow bug when using DX10. It screws up the chat, and possibly more. :P
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline Gouty

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +137/-5
  • =CJW= Chief Whip
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 12:28:40 AM »
Or you could set up a script to type before every match, "Hello, I am Werewolf486}12thVR{s son, I am 6 years old, so watch your fucking mouth"

::)
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"
If you take this seriously, you're some kind of mouth-breathing fappwit that shouldn't have survived infancy.

Offline :(

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-14
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 04:43:38 AM »
the problem with that, gouty, is that certain players like kbucy are such colossal pieces of crap that they would gladly use this opportunity to exploit a child for his/her own amusement.  those people are out there, there are not many in mwll, but kbucy must be the worst offender.  oh how enjoyed killing him 20 times in a row, though. kbucy seems to have disappeared since the fall of huntress.
The Left Radar boob is your best friend

Offline TAX_MAN!

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +16/-2
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 11:12:25 AM »
Here's an idea:

What controls the amount of time a message is displayed in the chat?  If you could edit this in an xml file you'd be able to effectively turn the chat off.

Offline Gouty

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +137/-5
  • =CJW= Chief Whip
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 02:52:38 PM »
TwinkleToes, it wasn't a very serious suggestion
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"
If you take this seriously, you're some kind of mouth-breathing fappwit that shouldn't have survived infancy.

Offline cyofee

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +71/-62
    • cyofee
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 03:36:24 PM »
Stick some tape over the area where chat appears?

Offline Werewolf486}12thVR{

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-1
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 05:28:55 PM »
So why can't the option to turn off chat be put into the mod?

NEW: Cooler Master ATSC840                                                    OLD: Cooler Master ATSC840
ASUS LGA2011 Rampage IV Black Edition/Intel i7-4930K             ASUS LGA775 Rampage Extreme/Intel Q9550S
ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/27" ASUS Monitor                          ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/ 24" ASUS Monitor
16GB Corsair Vengeance/Razor Nostromo/M70,M65 Corsair         8GB OCZ Reaper/ N52te/Sidewinder
Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit                                     Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit
250gb Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/500GB WD Blue x 2 in Raid1        80GB Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/750GB WD Blue x2 in Raid1

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +39/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 06:02:51 PM »
Is there a config file that sets chat text size? Set its font size to like 1.

Offline I_Like_Robots

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +10/-4
  • Your Death Adds Another Victory To My Codex
    • Your grandfather's funeral
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 07:22:21 PM »
So why can't the option to turn off chat be put into the mod?

Because they had to stop development? Did you even read the front page?
Maybe they should get in legal trouble just for you because you want to coddle your child from harsh words on the internet. If your afraid of your kid reading bad words in a chat box you should really just lock him in a dark cage in your basement away from humanity because people talk shit every day both in the real world and everywhere on the internet. Stop sheltering your child and just let him play the damn game.

Your never gonna get your profanity filter because they cant make the goddamn game anymore and you've already been told how to turn it off. Stop being a lazy coddling faggot. Either turn off the whole interface to hide the chat or just realize that people talk shit and you should stop sheltering your child. A few bad words here and there aren't any reason to stop playing mwll. So either stand over his shoulder like a compulsive creeper or just get over it.

Offline [CG]Anastasius Focht

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-9079
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 10:06:56 PM »
Its a polarised issue, but please try and debate the data, not the personalitys.
An intelligent and articulate person should be able to make their case without resorting to personal attacks.

Back when i hosted a MW4 Mercs server, i used Mercsheild with the language filter active, that is if you used certain words, you got warned then kicked if you kept it up.

So the question has been around for a long time.

I personally prefered my server to be a place where younger players didnt have to put up with unimaginative sentence fillers.
And havent really seen it as much of an issue with this community.

As i said its a polarised issue, the world is full of swear words, you get them everywhere TV, the schoolyard etc etc.
But i also think you do your child a favour encouraging them to be articulate in a positive creative manner.
In many cases conversational curse words are just unimaginative sentence fillers, And we aussies are no exception, Bloody this bloody that. I once heard my mother in law waxing lyrical on a topic she was passionate about say "bloody bloody".

There is no fix, either in regards to the game, or the greater environment we live in.

Its good to discuss issues like this, but please lets do so without engaging in personal attacks

To the issue of kids being exposed to swearing, they are going to encounter them.
The best you can do is teach by example, and explain these are not words you use and provide positive reasoning why you dont.
I grew up in a home where the bar of soap was only one swear word away from being a quick snack, but it was the words of a respected teacher that really sealed the deal for me.
He pointed out that swear words are just generic off the shelf sentence fillers, and the mark of a lack of imagination.
Children are going to be exposed to cuss words, we cant change that. What we can do is change the way they process them
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 10:40:44 PM by [CG]Anastasius Focht »
You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anastasius_Focht

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-1
  • But mom said it was MY turn to post!
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 02:18:37 PM »
For once I agree with Focht. Just let the kid play the game. I'm only a few years older than him, and I must say, the best way to learn at that age is experience. Teach them right and wrong early, as well the reason right is right and wrong is wrong. Internet's a half-good place to do that.
SPARKLE

PARTY