Author Topic: Dear Funbocks: WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY  (Read 6002 times)

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
Re: Dear Funbocks: WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 11:04:05 PM »
Some custom maps are quite good.  I See no reason to not include ones like tc_stonerose and have a little variety.

That's what Funbocks Beta is for.

That's not reason, it's dogma.
Eh?  There was no belief system behind it, no texts decreeing that it should be so, and it's not been in place that long.  I suggest you read this.  I think that the reasoning was it sounds like a good idea to have separate servers for Official Maps, Community Maps and Solaris arena.  If you can come up with a better idea, I'm sure that the server admins would be open to changing it.

Or, you know, you could run a server and put whatever maps you wanted on it.

Already do, thanks.

I would rather have two servers split between maps that work well for smaller and larger groups.  I.e maps like stonerose are good for small to medium sized teams, but Frostbite is much larger, and works better for larger groups.

The artificial separation of official versus community maps is based on what?  A belief that community maps are always beta and broken?  Not as good etc?  There are official maps I'd rather not play, and I'm sure they're left off of the rotation on the official server.  So saying "That's what funbocks beta is for" isn't really a a reasoned argument against all community maps being on alpha etc

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 11:18:08 PM »
Some custom maps are quite good.  I See no reason to not include ones like tc_stonerose and have a little variety.

That's what Funbocks Beta is for.

That's not reason, it's dogma.
Eh?  There was no belief system behind it, no texts decreeing that it should be so, and it's not been in place that long.  I suggest you read this.  I think that the reasoning was it sounds like a good idea to have separate servers for Official Maps, Community Maps and Solaris arena.  If you can come up with a better idea, I'm sure that the server admins would be open to changing it.

Or, you know, you could run a server and put whatever maps you wanted on it.

Already do, thanks.

I would rather have two servers split between maps that work well for smaller and larger groups.  I.e maps like stonerose are good for small to medium sized teams, but Frostbite is much larger, and works better for larger groups.

The artificial separation of official versus community maps is based on what?  A belief that community maps are always beta and broken?  Not as good etc?  There are official maps I'd rather not play, and I'm sure they're left off of the rotation on the official server.  So saying "That's what funbocks beta is for" isn't really a a reasoned argument against all community maps being on alpha etc

No, it's more a belief that every 30min I'm going to have to download a new 250mb map of variable quality and end up mid-way into a game by the time it's done. Having separate servers for official and unofficial mean that official players will never have to wait between matches while unofficial means if you want to experiment the option is there, but not forced.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Online Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +156/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 11:22:15 PM »
Also, Beta runs official + custom maps, not just custom maps (unless they changed it).

Offline Ch3m1kal

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +59/-2
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 11:25:57 PM »
I think a vote map option is what's really needed here. I thought i saw a thread about some server tools that make that possible.
Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 02:51:01 AM »
Well, there's no way he can doubt you with those many sources. :P

I expect HAARP can now do that without log_verbosity 2, based on these findings. Probably even a fake sv_league_url can be used to that purpose. He could even take advantage of the existing Rconnect code mainly for the part to send commands through rcon/http, unless he has its own way.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline Mattk50

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-0
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 09:13:46 AM »
Please mix community and official maps. Separate the servers into high quality and low quality maps if you'd like, because something like ring of fire shouldnt be seen as "bad" compared to sandblasted.

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +212/-1
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 10:25:15 AM »
Please mix community and official maps. Separate the servers into high quality and low quality maps if you'd like, because something like ring of fire shouldnt be seen as "bad" compared to sandblasted.
That's how it used to be. Then people complained about it. Then I separated them :-X
don't bother sending me PMs, I probably won't be reading them in time.

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-2
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 02:56:47 PM »
New time - new update ^ ))

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 03:30:55 PM »
Also it seems the custom maps download a lot faster now. Used to be painfully slow, now it's just a bit of a bother first time, but not the 15+minute wait it once was.

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +212/-1
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 03:35:59 PM »
Also it seems the custom maps download a lot faster now. Used to be painfully slow, now it's just a bit of a bother first time, but not the 15+minute wait it once was.
Blame mwllmaps.com for that. I used to redirect half the map downloads there to lessen the load. Now I'm serving more content directly.
don't bother sending me PMs, I probably won't be reading them in time.

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 04:37:07 PM »
HAARP, have you considered using Rconnect with the sv_league_url option, or you're thinking of using more like a server-side mod for something like that?
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-2
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 05:42:31 PM »
HAARP, have you considered using Rconnect with the sv_league_url option, or you're thinking of using more like a server-side mod for something like that?

Will be good - see this.

Offline Mattk50

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-0
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2013, 10:45:30 PM »
That's how it used to be. Then people complained about it. Then I separated them :-X
:(

i guess, if you managed to have mapvoting working that would solve everything. it would probably keep people playing a lot longer on the server, as i at least always leave whenever certain maps come up. its probably a lot of work but it would be sooo worth it.

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 02:31:13 AM »