Author Topic: MWLL vs MWO, need advice/impressions  (Read 21528 times)

Offline Landorin

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
MWLL vs MWO, need advice/impressions
« on: February 18, 2013, 06:36:33 PM »
Hello,

due to my studies I got quite busy and just recently noticed MWLL development has stopped. :( Such a shame, I really enjoyed playing this game, especially when teamwork was effective. Especially the supporting roles of NARCs, TAGs, C3, LT, Long Range missiles (Arrow).

Now I also heard there's some game named Mechwarrior Online. What is that like compared to MWLL? Would some statement like "If you enjoyed MWLL, you'll enjoy MWO too" fit or is it totally different?
What do you like most about MWLL which you miss in MWO and vice versa? General impressions and opinions welcomed too!

Offline Raptor }12VR{

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +36/-2
  • Nyan de nyaa
Re: MWLL vs MWO, need advice/impressions
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 06:38:39 PM »
"If you truly loved MWLL, you will hate MWO with your guts."

MWLL is still alive and well, hope on and play.

Offline Spifficus

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +11/-0
  • HELL YEAH! THIS GAME ROCKS!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 07:18:58 PM »
Word Yo!  This^^^^

My personal opinion is MWO is a very depressing disappointment... maybe check out the MWO thread in "other games" to get a more indepth look at ALL the let downs.

personal opinions may vary

http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,18573.0.html
THIS IS PRETTY MUCH THE ONLY GAME I PLAY. LOVE IT!!!
Watch out! This moving target might bite back!
My Youtube Vids
http://www.youtube.com/user/darkcloud1979?feature=mhum

Happiness is an inside job

Intel i7 930 2.8ghz CPU, Asus P6T mobo, 10gb DDR3 Tri-channel Ram 1066, 1x Nvidia GTX550 ti 1 GB DDR5 and 1x 8800gt 528MB for physics, Windows 7 Ultimate

Offline Gouty

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +137/-5
  • =CJW= Chief Whip
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 07:33:56 PM »
NARCs, TAGs, C3, LT, Long Range missiles (Arrow).
Yeah, none of those things are in MWO.  Accept NARCs and TAG, but not in any way that you would recognise.

MWLL and MWO both have their similarities and differences, their pros and cons.  But at the moment MWLL is much more fleshed out, slightly more rough and ready, but is definitely more feature rich. MWO on the other hand is incomplete, but has the benefit of a company behind them and the resources that come with it.  I prefer MWLL, but MWO is definitely worth the free download.

"If you truly loved MWLL, you will hate MWO with your guts."

That's a little strong.  MWLL is probably my favourite game of all time, and I don't wish any ill will on MWO or it's team, on the contrary, I want them to pull their finger out their ass and make a decent game.  I am upset about some of choices they have made, and resent the model they have adopted, but overall want the franchise to succeed. 

"If you are fanatic about anything, you will hate anything that is different"

However I can see how some people could still resent PGI for their obvious involvement in the discontinuation of MWLL development.  But c'est la vie
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"
If you take this seriously, you're some kind of mouth-breathing fappwit that shouldn't have survived infancy.

Offline d3jake

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-2
  • [CGB] Pilots Captured Long Toms
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 08:43:12 PM »
This is about the best way I could describe the two:
Quote from: Gouty
MWLL and MWO both have their similarities and differences, their pros and cons.  But at the moment MWLL is much more fleshed out, slightly more rough and ready, but is definitely more feature rich. MWO on the other hand is incomplete, but has the benefit of a company behind them and the resources that come with it.  I prefer MWLL, but MWO is definitely worth the free download.

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 11:39:13 PM »
MWLL is to CBT as MWO is to MW4.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline =KoS= Saber15

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +181/-2
  • RIP AND TEAR
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 11:45:55 PM »
MWLL is to CBT as MWO is to MW4.

MWLL is to Battlefield/Arma as MWO is to Call of Duty
"Concentrate on the moment, each moment is its own reality. It has a particular thisness. You can't predict, but you can explain. Or try. If you are observant, and lucky, you can say, this is why this is happening! It's very interesting!"

Offline Chezzar

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 11:48:47 PM »
Played MWO for some days a few months ago. Stopped it after having a match with over 700 damage done in my Hunchback 4SP with a PPC, 3 small lasers and 2 SRM6 after realizing that I have just...emulated the Uziel D from MWLL.
MWO is not bad, but I don't like the fact that you have to grind xp with tree variants of each mech to unlock elite skills. I like to play differend rides, and for this MWLL is better.

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-1
  • But mom said it was MY turn to post!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 04:30:57 AM »
I strongly dislike MWO. It lacks every single trait I would use to describe a good game. The biggest things that come to mind are...
1. Imbalanced weapons and equipment. Lasers are 99% useless when compared to Ballistics and Missiles due to this game's ridiculol heat system, and Missiles are far superior to Ballistics because they do 1.5x-2x the damage of CBT values. This renders literally every weapon but missiles inefficient and useless. Also, did I mention that you have to lead lasers?
2. GRIND. This one speaks for itself. I'm a light mech pilot and I consider the grind to get a cheap Jenner ridiculous. I also frequently get bored of my mechs and think "WHY DID I BUY THIS?!" and then quit forever.

There are good things about the game OFC, for example, MWO's JJs aren't complete shit, though they are still rather stagnant.

It's just, there are so many BAD things about MWO and so few GOOD things.
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline d3jake

• MechWarrior
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 05:11:09 AM »
I have a hard enough time earning money for myself in the real world, I don't want to do it in a game.

The visuals are good, and the animations look good. I also remember that mechs can scale inclines a lot better.

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 08:37:11 AM »
Mwoah is too damned easy too, I actually hopped on in a drunken haze and got two kills with my Cicada.  That same night earlier I was playing LL and getting my ass handed to me, and I had played LL more recently of the two.  Mwoah I hadn't played for 3 months but was able to do well in the one round I played.

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline =KoS= Saber15

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +181/-2
  • RIP AND TEAR
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 05:27:40 PM »
Mwoah is too damned easy too, I actually hopped on in a drunken haze and got two kills with my Cicada.  That same night earlier I was playing LL and getting my ass handed to me, and I had played LL more recently of the two.  Mwoah I hadn't played for 3 months but was able to do well in the one round I played.

The average skill level in MWO is much lower. I can start up MWO and shit-stomp pretty much anyone 1v1 (aside from the insta-gib SRM6 boats), but I'm only so-so in MWLL most of the time. Someone like MrGray, 37, or Striker would be a whirlwind of death in MWO.
"Concentrate on the moment, each moment is its own reality. It has a particular thisness. You can't predict, but you can explain. Or try. If you are observant, and lucky, you can say, this is why this is happening! It's very interesting!"

Offline d3jake

• MechWarrior
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 09:27:52 PM »
Oh, the ideas!

Offline Squibby

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +54/-0
  • Hanger to core breach in 30 seconds...
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 09:51:27 PM »
The netcode is pretty terrible, that's why I suck at MWO....yeah I'll go with that.

Offline Marlin

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +16/-15
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 09:54:16 PM »
Agreed, the few times I played I was not good. Must have been the netcode. Or my PC was too slow. I can get some good results on MWLL though..
Watch "Save the Supers" you will get some laughs in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYvc6E-Wjbo

Should I ever be listed at the top of my team, then we have a serious problem.