Author Topic: MWLL vs MWO, need advice/impressions  (Read 23450 times)

Offline [IPA] Avatar

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-4
  • Kiss me, I'm shitfaced!
Re: MWLL vs MWO, need advice/impressions
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2013, 09:57:11 AM »
That is all they achieved so far in open beta?

With a shitload of players and, I assume, feedback that doesn't seem much. I mean, I got over my MWO hate and try to look at it objectively, but damn the developers seem to be just... incompetent.

It's like they have no concept at all about the gameplay and rely on their artists to shit out a mech or a new map here and there and that's it...

Offline Chezzar

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +25/-0
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2013, 12:24:08 PM »
The Quickdraw, their new mech, has the size of an Assault but weights 60t. But the scale of an target is important in an FPS game. Proper scaling is almost nonexistent in MWO.

Offline Because people mistake me for someone else

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-9
  • Dispenser of Hate & Justice, unlimited ammo still
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2013, 03:24:37 PM »
Rad my man, you make me sad, playin MWO so much.

Say your thanks to Mr. Anastasius Focht, he made me go puke worse than the death throes of planetary league and we know who triggered that.

Anyway, I tried MWLL in the meanwhile, no joy for me there to be had.
Dropping by from time to time to see if I still can get some yummy screenshots though.

As to MWO:

-My average per round income is about 120k per my statspage with all my mechs fully kitted to the brim.
-Yes, scaling is pure bollocks
-Yes, PGI is taking their sweet effing time and still are largely an incompetent bunch as far as keeping promises or any tangible progress made
-Yes, the community in MWO is a very large cesspool of subhuman troglodytes with the random speckling of proper humans here and there

... and sadly I have already met my "2 most favourite" units over there as well which still inclines me to abruptly leave the match due to already foreseeable outcome of the round.

Sooo, gentlemen, any more questions ?
Fire away then, lads.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0976embDvhY&feature=youtu.be
*Counterstacking by OneManArmy.dll*
"Why so hateful ?" "I am, and you are too"

Offline =CJW=YalK

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +96/-1
  • There's no brakes on the Rape Train
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2013, 03:59:50 PM »
Hey! Rad...look at how your post DIDN'T get edited....funny huh

Expecting understanding and empathy on the internet (especially in Toast [especially by Bill]) = fail.
And I say hey hey hey....I said hey, what's goin' on And I say hey.... hey....I said hey, what's goin' on? >>> THIS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70yNAwUUsc0

Offline =KoS= Saber15

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +181/-2
  • RIP AND TEAR
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2013, 04:35:22 PM »
Say your thanks to Mr. Anastasius Focht, he made me go puke worse than the death throes of planetary league and we know who triggered that.
Focht got banned for a couple days.

what a shame
"Concentrate on the moment, each moment is its own reality. It has a particular thisness. You can't predict, but you can explain. Or try. If you are observant, and lucky, you can say, this is why this is happening! It's very interesting!"

Offline Because people mistake me for someone else

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-9
  • Dispenser of Hate & Justice, unlimited ammo still
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2013, 06:12:32 PM »
Hey! Rad...look at how your post DIDN'T get edited....funny huh

Yep, well, says tons about moderation and being drunken on the "might" it gives certain people.

Hells, for what I have written, Defender could have easily rebuked me, but then again we all know Defender to be a stout fighter of truth without any need for sugarcoatings which we CJWs can easier stomach than any of Mr. Moderator Focht puny attempts of psycho warring with any of us .

And you know what ... feels good to be able to speak a honest word in here without getting chain-pmd ;)

Plus we all know where to heap the shame of shattering this small, formerly fine community.

And now ... back to topic, gentlemen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0976embDvhY&feature=youtu.be
*Counterstacking by OneManArmy.dll*
"Why so hateful ?" "I am, and you are too"

Offline Ch3m1kal

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +59/-2
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2013, 08:22:22 PM »
Honestly as much as i try, i can't enjoy MWO. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something is just no doing it for me.

I think it's that the mechs are so stiff and the general feel of the weapons combined with the (for me) unreadable damage readout. It just never feels like i'm doing much, there are just some colored things flying out from somewhere offscreen, they hit some kind of stiff semi-mobile rock, it doesn't react in any particularly satisfying way and then i'm not sure if i did anything worthwile or not. 5 minutes later it's all over and not much was acomplished.

Also i hate the way the grinding is designed, where everything is pretty dirt cheap except for goddamn XL engines, upgrades (on that topic whoever thought that switching from standard to endo steel then back should cost credits everytime should get run over with a flaming truck full of AIDS) and the advanced modules crap which PGI seems to consider "endgame content".
Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2013, 09:02:26 PM »
Yeah, watching an MW:LL match on youtube, it's exciting, like gladiatorial combat. Action, suspense, more action, lots of kerplows and running about, various assets interacting in interesting and sometimes surprising ways!

Watching an MWO match online is like watching a a pump house operate or something. There's zero excitement and the same things happen over and over and over. Plus the pew pew and kerplows are weaker. Laser sound effects are like something someone got from an Atari VCS or something. It's like MW:LL in slow mo without the interesting interaction of 14 assets per side.

Offline Bird_Thing

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-4
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2013, 02:12:25 AM »
To me, MWO looks like a Modern Warfare/CoD (whatever it's called) game; somewhat generic in terms of MMOs these days, but with big walking guns and no people.

Many times I find myself feeling overly frustrated playing MWO, whereas in LL the environment is more friendly and the maps look like care and thought was put into them, thus creating a beautiful scene in the process.

Offline Squibby

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +54/-0
  • Hanger to core breach in 30 seconds...
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2013, 03:06:50 AM »
I'm no fan of MWO really, but please comment on something else aside from the animations and combat effects... there are plenty of valid targets.

The animations and hit effects are IMO several times more visceral and powerfull looking than MWLL. Yes there are some outliers but in general I like the way mechs get hammered around visibly when taking damage. the sound effect design and visuals are quite good too.

In general I love the art style (FD awesomeness) and the animations. While they may be slow the artists can certainly put out some really high quality stuff. That being said I agree that the scales are bit wonky.

Offline :(

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-14
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2013, 03:23:37 AM »
the sound effect design and visuals are quite good too.
I just threw up in my mouth
The Left Radar boob is your best friend

Offline =KoS= Saber15

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +181/-2
  • RIP AND TEAR
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2013, 04:35:27 AM »

The sounds are one of the worst parts about MWO (along with the developers themselves). Explosions sound pathetic, the weapons lack any sensation of oomph. In MWLL, when you get blasted by SRMs, you hear a series of high-powered, bassy explosions. In MWO, you get a "whoom" from the launch, followed by a "clank" when the missiles hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6ixWaM7RvY&t=2m25s MWLL, SRMs + LBX + Pulse lasers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpSL9-QwzjE&t=3m20s MWO, SRMs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvMexRyPitA&t=3m MWO, LBX

"Concentrate on the moment, each moment is its own reality. It has a particular thisness. You can't predict, but you can explain. Or try. If you are observant, and lucky, you can say, this is why this is happening! It's very interesting!"

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2013, 04:37:04 AM »
Gimmie three steps, gimmie three steps, mister.
Gimmie three steps towards the door.

Gimmie three steps, gimmie three steps, mister and you'll never see me no moar.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline Bird_Thing

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-4
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2013, 05:39:16 AM »
To me, MWO looks like a Modern Warfare/CoD (whatever it's called) game; somewhat generic in terms of MMOs these days, but with big walking guns and no people.

Many times I find myself feeling overly frustrated playing MWO, whereas in LL the environment is more friendly and the maps look like care and thought was put into them, thus creating a beautiful scene in the process.
Forgot to mention the amazing reactor breach/critical hit explosions. Not really any sounds, but wonderful eyecandy.

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2013, 06:20:00 AM »

The sounds are one of the worst parts about MWO (along with the developers themselves). Explosions sound pathetic, the weapons lack any sensation of oomph. In MWLL, when you get blasted by SRMs, you hear a series of high-powered, bassy explosions. In MWO, you get a "whoom" from the launch, followed by a "clank" when the missiles hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6ixWaM7RvY&t=2m25s MWLL, SRMs + LBX + Pulse lasers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpSL9-QwzjE&t=3m20s MWO, SRMs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvMexRyPitA&t=3m MWO, LBX

Plus a close range hit from a HGauss in MW:LL scares the crap outta me every frakking time. Clang!!! run!!! Sound effects are top notch in MW:LL.