Author Topic: New to MWLL  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Failure

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
New to MWLL
« on: March 10, 2013, 11:57:55 PM »
Hi. Started downloading MWLL about 5 hours ago and lurked around until now. (8% done) My internet is horribad and I just can't wait for the download to end. Not sure if this is the right forum area, or if this is the right forum at all. We'll treat this as an intro then.

I'm 20 year old 3d modeler/ animator that has no experience in making things that come out to being work. Meaning that I make things exclusively for fun.
I wander around different game engines hoping to find "that perfect one" that will suit my wants. My wants being a sandbox for giving my own creations life. (personal use only of course) I have found that the inhibiting factor ALWAYS boils down to not being able to script.

So what I'm asking is, what sort of format does the mod use, and is the mod open to personal modification? I'm not really interested in playing the game online.
If it's based on the Cry engine, I'm guessing .cga, .anm, and .cgf formats maybe? Xml, Fmod, stuffs like that? Or is it in some special untouchable format? Do the mechs use IK, animation based movement? Are the aircraft realistic on physics? So on and so forth.

I have more questions, but Tl;dr. I'll save it for when anyone wants it. Glad to have found MWLL, and hope it's something useful.
Good and bad news appreciated equally.  8)

(p.s. I may be interested in applying for the team if it happens to be good and/or still going on.)

Offline TrollerLover

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +6/-1
  • -O^O-
Re: New to MWLL
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 05:08:37 PM »
Hi. Started downloading MWLL about 5 hours ago and lurked around until now. (8% done) My internet is horribad and I just can't wait for the download to end. Not sure if this is the right forum area, or if this is the right forum at all. We'll treat this as an intro then.

Hello and welcome to the forums.

So what I'm asking is, what sort of format does the mod use, and is the mod open to personal modification? I'm not really interested in playing the game online.
If it's based on the Cry engine, I'm guessing .cga, .anm, and .cgf formats maybe? Xml, Fmod, stuffs like that? Or is it in some special untouchable format? Do the mechs use IK, animation based movement? Are the aircraft realistic on physics? So on and so forth.

Sad to hear you're not interested in playing the game. Nevertheless, I urge you give it a spin, just to see what you're getting into. Plus you might enjoy it. It has a bit of a learning curve, so be patient.
I'm sorry, but I can't answer your more technical questions. The aero physics are far from realistic, tho  ::)

(p.s. I may be interested in applying for the team if it happens to be good and/or still going on.)

I'm sad to inform you that the Wandering Samurai game studio stopped developing mwll a couple of months ago. Everything that's being done to the mod is done unofficially. But this is the right place to find the people who are still working on it. Good luck!
Owens rush kekekekek

Offline Vlaad

• Lead Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-1
  • 80 percent human
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 12:30:45 AM »
Yep this is the introduction area. Ill treat you to a hiiiii...

I'm 20 year old 3d modeler/ animator that has no experience in making things that come out to being work. Meaning that I make things exclusively for fun.
I wander around different game engines hoping to find "that perfect one" that will suit my wants. My wants being a sandbox for giving my own creations life. (personal use only of course) I have found that the inhibiting factor ALWAYS boils down to not being able to script.
That's a tender age...  :-*
Engine that it will suit you best is the one you make for your own needs. There is no such thing as perfection and engine usage boils down to what you can make it do or do with it. It involves scripting for most basic usage and programming for anything bigger ;)

It uses xml for basic/end implementation (usually calling for functions outside written in c++) and lua and as far as in game geo goes cgf as the basic static geometry, .cga is animated geometry hierarchied geomtry witch can animate either using clever c++ coding to play the animations, loop them, make some parts follow certain angle (basically anything you know to do is not an issue when you know how to do it no?) .anm for procedural animations for .cga and chr for characters with skin deformations and .caf for associated animation files for characters. Cry2 has handy stuff such as foot IK where the game animates feet/angle based on terrain angle and yes most of the stuff uses IK solvers.
Yes, mechs use IK with purposly disabled foot IK (engine limitations for huge characters and time/nerve limitation) and they are in fact 2 entities tied together with code: .CHR and .CGA.
Realistic physics cannot exist in 5x5 (8x8 max) for aero and is a thing that most of our community refuses to accept. Since aircraft do not exist in crysis, they are based off vtoll code and again some clever c++ in such a way that they fit the scale of the maps. Fmod is used for audio events implementations. As far as your engine choice goes, I can say that cryengine is a complex beast, either good or bad.

I have more questions, but Tl;dr. I'll save it for when anyone wants it. Glad to have found MWLL, and hope it's something useful.
Good and bad news appreciated equally.  8)
Actually I am dubious that anyone wants annoying technical questions outside special moods and base culture to help someone who is stuck when learning.  ;)
There is a lot of competent people around here so fire away and im sure they will reply when they can  :)

Mod has been shut down, wandering samurai disbanded in dubious circumstances. There is some other "mega-super-secret-project-that-acceptsonlymosttrustworthypeople" made by number of CJW people. I suggest giving it a go in contacting those people if I remember, they need an artist. Working in a team environment is always a good way to begin.  ;)
pew-pew

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +339/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 04:52:46 AM »
Mod has been shut down, wandering samurai disbanded in dubious circumstances. There is some other "mega-super-secret-project-that-acceptsonlymosttrustworthypeople" made by number of CJW people. I suggest giving it a go in contacting those people if I remember, they need an artist. Working in a team environment is always a good way to begin.  ;)

I laughed at that, we are working on something. Granted people on the MWLL team have some basis for mocking/disliking DB/CJW in general, I do feel we've done a fair amount towards this mod and community. But if some people want to hang onto grudges then that's their business.

Speaking of team stuff Vlaadypoo, once we get all the legalities sorted (ownership of IP and stuff) we will be recruiting more openly; but as I am sure you can appreciate it's something you need to have secured in these dark days of development.

Back on topic:

Welcome onboard dude, you've just downloaded one of the best games in the history of the world ever bruv. I have truthfully had some of the best gaming experiences of my life with it, hopefully it'll still flourish in some matter, get your friends to play and have fun :D

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 06:00:33 AM »

I laughed at that, we are working on something. Granted people on the MWLL team have some basis for mocking/disliking DB/CJW in general, I do feel we've done a fair amount towards this mod and community. But if some people want to hang onto grudges then that's their business.

Speaking of team stuff Vlaadypoo, once we get all the legalities sorted (ownership of IP and stuff) we will be recruiting more openly; but as I am sure you can appreciate it's something you need to have secured in these dark days of development.

Back on topic:

Welcome onboard dude, you've just downloaded one of the best games in the history of the world ever bruv. I have truthfully had some of the best gaming experiences of my life with it, hopefully it'll still flourish in some matter, get your friends to play and have fun :D

Dude, have you not noticed that LL has always been about grudges?  It is quite retarded, but it has pretty much always been that way.

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 10:13:53 AM »
That is true, but when it becomes developers Vs community it gets a bit out of hand imo.

I love you all, I might have some disagreements with people on here ( exempelvis, I am no longer able to truely express myself on here, I don't hold grudges, life's too short.

Aaaaaanyway, once again welcome aboard dude. If I can sort my current issue with server stuff I will join you :)

Offline Vlaad

• Lead Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-1
  • 80 percent human
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 12:24:30 PM »

Meh, you got it all wrong. Throw in a little sarcasm and it gets interpreted like a ill meant poke and by Bill of all people... No pun intended here it a joke referenced to Leers and Dethbane verbal fight and trustworthiness and since its explained it lost its value.    ;)
pew-pew

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 01:52:07 PM »
Oh vlaad, it's you who misinterpreted, I was playing along you daft ganty  :P :-*

Offline Because people mistake me for someone else

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-9
  • Dispenser of Hate & Justice, unlimited ammo still
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 08:44:37 PM »
Gnihi ... @ Bill/Vlaad

Needs more misunderstandings, eh ^^

@Failure

Greetings, man .
Good thing you have found this mod, it really is wonderful.
Bad thing is the timing, since its war, open and brutal.
Good thing about that war ? Itīs nearly over due to participants ignoring each other, getting tired/megalomaniac and/or finding other points of interest.
Anotehr good thing about the shards of community that still linger here is that there are very tech-savvy individuals next to brain-bursting jokers ( one of the best joke-smiths in here surely must be Anastasius Focht, you will surely encounter him  ^^ ) .

Anyway, have fun with the disguised guys and the mod.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0976embDvhY&feature=youtu.be
*Counterstacking by OneManArmy.dll*
"Why so hateful ?" "I am, and you are too"

Offline TrollerLover

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +6/-1
  • -O^O-
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 08:32:05 PM »
Bad thing is the timing, since its war, open and brutal.

The freedom of the internets is at stake!!
Owens rush kekekekek

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 11:55:44 PM »
Hold on honey, we can't go to dinner just yet, someone on the internet is wrong!

Offline d3jake

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-2
  • [CGB] Pilots Captured Long Toms
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 02:07:42 AM »
Best advice: Ignore the drama, play the game.