Author Topic: Hypothetical Question - AI in Derpy Tanks  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +39/-0
Hypothetical Question - AI in Derpy Tanks
« on: March 27, 2013, 03:54:33 PM »
Hey, just a hypothetical question here. The idea of having AI controlled enemies in MWLL has been brought up before, and the barrier was obviously that the AI in Crysis would have no idea how to make use of a mech since it's basically two different entities. However... what about tanks and VTOLs? Weren't these AI-controlled in some Crysis or Crysis Warhead missions? Would it have been possible to have capturable bases that spawned cheap tanks that would sweep across the map. Might have been a good chance to show off just how powerful player-controlled assets really are, by throwing cheap-O tanks at them.

That said, I totally understand that it would have been a waste of effort to do all this when the vehicles implemented probably wouldn't have been very good as player-controlled assets, but still it'd have been a good way of making new players feel cool. They might be getting wrecked by veteran players, but at least they get to shoot down helicopters and stomp over tiny tanks. Would this require some kind of map scripting to let the AI know where to go? Might be a cool community project if it's possible... not that I'm volunteering, LOL. :D

Offline Askis

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +55/-5
Re: Hypothetical Question - AI in Derpy Tanks
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 04:47:08 PM »
IIRC, the AI doesn't know what to do about Mechs at all, they're not even valid targets, so even if you could get working AI-controlled tanks (which I doubt, since Crysis AI isn't programmed for multiple weapon types, overheating weapons, or lock-on missiles) they would simply ignore any Mech on the field.

Offline C.Falcon

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-1
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 01:22:49 AM »
I'm going to really reach here and say there IS an AI in MWLL that's been zapping away at us from high atop bases and hangars. Slinging missiles at would-be base rapists and even shooting down friendly LRMs cowardly launched from the hangar.
Now, welding a base turret to an AI driven Chevy might not even be worth the effort, but at least it's somewhere to start. Heh, if the AI chevies drove in formation you could hide amongst them and players would tend to ignore you ...
The immediate problem would be what to do with them in TSA or TC ...

This actually gave me an idea, what if an extremely talented mapper created a DOTA-inspired (or LoL etc) map & gamemode with AI vehicles as the grunts?
FYI DOTA is an RTS game featuring 5v5 players that are the elite warriors of two 2 AI armies.
Each team's stronghold is in the opposite corner of the square map (bottom left & top right in DOTA) and the AI armies march from each fortress along their side's lanes (paths from the base to the line O scrimmage) and battle in the center (the center is the dividing diagonal line).

Without players the AI would battle endlessly in the middle, so it's up to the players to push past the LoS through the enemy's lanes. Players push the line of scrimmage by fighting through the enemy's lanes and destroying their towers (fortified sentries, basically checkpoints). A lane without towers means the troops can march directly to the enemy fortress and begin sieging it.
There are only three main lanes that each base sends its AI squads along, however if that means (a minimum of) 3 bots per lane, 9 bots fielded at a time per team, there is only room for 12 players in the server assuming that an AI bot counts as a full player in terms of server load.

To slim it down, the map format could be narrowed to a single lane, a straight path from base to base, with the bots constantly pressing to attack the enemy's main base.
The AI requirements would be very minimal in this gamemode. The AI would only need to stop to defend itself or clear the path to its objective. This would also be much easier on beginning players as the focus wouldn't be on players so much allowing them to take supporting roles.

Now I really want to play this ......
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 07:30:58 AM by C.Falcon »

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 03:00:43 PM »
Good point about the base turrets, Falcon. And yeah, a DotA-style game mode would be really interesting. The AI would probably only fire weapons at a rate pre-calculated (with places in the formulas for map variables like temperature) to not overheat, and would probably be limited to simpler weapons like AC5's and AC10's. Askis, the top of mechs are actually vehicles, so I think the AI wouldn't know what to do with the legs; they'd just know to aim up at the chassis and fire, and try to get within an optimal range. So that's probably why the turrets work just fine. LOL... imagine the score you could rack up with a LongTom. ;-)

Offline =KoS= Saber15

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +181/-2
  • RIP AND TEAR
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 05:57:29 PM »
The turrets don't have AI.
All they do is turn towards the nearest enemy within range, and damage them with what is basically an invisible hitscan  laser - the ballistics and missiles you see are just eyecandy.
"Concentrate on the moment, each moment is its own reality. It has a particular thisness. You can't predict, but you can explain. Or try. If you are observant, and lucky, you can say, this is why this is happening! It's very interesting!"

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 11:11:04 PM »
But it's possible to dodge those lasers (or at least the entire beam). Very hard, but possible. Also, cover is effective.

Offline d3jake

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-2
  • [CGB] Pilots Captured Long Toms
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 02:20:53 AM »
I would love to see a SA-style game, with a single Harasser hurtling around, whoever kills it gets a point, rinse, repeat.

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-1
  • But mom said it was MY turn to post!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 06:21:30 AM »
So long as the Harasser is painted a washed-out yellow and has its turret replaced with a ghetto blaster playing the Chicken Dance on a loop.
SPARKLE

PARTY