• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-9079
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
New TV
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:48:51 PM »
Well my old samsung LCD TV is on the fritz, and i need to replace it

It had a Dsub connector and PC audio in jack and an 8ms game mode, which ive used to play

But im finding it hard to get a new one with all the features i need, any suggestions ?

My Video card is a Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD7870 so it has an HDMI output iirc is there any advantage to using HDMI over DVI-I output.

I currently use the DVI-I connected to a D-sub VGA connector on the TV

Thanks in advance for any advice
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 02:40:52 AM by [CG]Anastasius Focht »
You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anastasius_Focht

Offline KingLeerUK

• Hawkmoth D arise!
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +533/-19
  • Hawmoth "D" Ascendant
Re: New TV
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 03:22:13 AM »
Using HDMI instead of DVI-I allows you to send audio over a single cable, so there is one advantage.  The only reason I'd go with a VGA connection these days is if the transmission distance exceeded HDMI-capable lengths for 1080p content, and we'd be talking about 25+ feet.

Going to a D-SUB VGA means you are leaving the digital realm... and then having the TV reconvert it back to digital for the panel to display.  Better to stay with HDMI or DVI and not do the conversion.  Staying with HDMI also keeps your HDCP chain intact so you can pass high-definition content without having it fail-down to lower resolutions.

Most modern LCD panels will be fine for gaming.  The ones with local dimming tend to have the best black level performance.
Proud vendor of Soon™, brought to you by the makers of Someday™, Make Me a Ticket™ and Let's Talk About it Later™

Never mistake "the audience" for "the community".

Offline [CG]Anastasius Focht

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 06:51:03 AM »
Oh thats wonderful Mate, you're a Star

So if i just hook my video card up to the new TV via HDMI it will transmit the PC sound all in one ?

If so that makes this job really easy, i have lots of purchase choices with multiple HDMI inputs, finding one with a Dsub has been a real pain, to the point where im looking at repairing this one because i know it works.
But id rather buy a new one.

It wasnt intuitive that using the video cards HDMI would also pass the sound through, since my current setup uses the DVI-I to vga port on TV and the PC sound inputs as seperate cables.

I'm really really grateful for this info, its very helpful and has taken quite the load off my mind

Thank You
You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +157/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 08:06:15 AM »
All you need to do in order to send all Audio in Windows over HDMI is to set the "AMD HDMI Output" device (in your case) as default in the Sound settings of the Control Panel (assuming all drivers are correctly installed).

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 10:14:04 PM »
Thanks Spooky, i had a look at the control panel yesterday and you are quite right.

In my case its the catalyst control centre and it has an audio tab.

It does say right now "Your displays do no support audio, select another audio device from the list above."

It has a bunch of greyed out screen icons, and a realtek digital output option in colour.

I'm sure this is because i dont have any HDMI cable connected at the moment, and then when i do one of these options will be selectable.

Thanks for the advice its much appreciated

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 12:42:48 AM »
Just ran the HDMI cable from the set top box into the Video card, works well thanks again guys

I am getting some odd audio pops and crackles which i dont via the old cables, i may need a noise suppressing powerboard since the wiring in this house does seem to cause issues, for example if i open the fridge downstairs the TV audio blanks for a half second or so upstairs.

I suspect the HDMI cable is more sensitive to noise.

Thanks again for the advice, its really helped

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 10:53:33 PM »
It turns out the audio issue i'm having via HDMI is very common.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-pictures/windows-vista-intermittent-hdmi-sound-problems/f5ae10b3-7329-42a4-b4e1-33c0989934d0

http://askubuntu.com/questions/165560/intermittent-buzz-hdmi-audio

I just had a similar problem with HDMI audio (analog audio worked fine) on my system (F17/KDE, Asus P8Z77-V, i5 CPU with HD4000 graphics, Panasonic TV),

i'm looking at a high end panasonicTV atm.

The original Dsub/pc sound input in works fine, but the HDMI connection gives this intermittant cutout issue, identical to the ones in the links.

i cant try and debug it with the old TV as its completly dead now

Has anyone seen this problem before, any ideas on a fix ?

Cheers

Offline McGondy

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +19/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 01:36:56 AM »
I am getting some odd audio pops and crackles which i dont via the old cables, i may need a noise suppressing powerboard since the wiring in this house does seem to cause issues, for example if i open the fridge downstairs the TV audio blanks for a half second or so upstairs.

Had this problem in my old apartment, too much stuff on a single circuit.

Also right click on the speaker tab and go to playback devices, and check if the HDMI out is a) plugged in and b) set as default. I stream through my laptop running through those usually fixes any sound over HDMI issues I have.

And just a question, but what Graphics Card are you using for this? And how long is the HDMI cable?
In a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 01:49:42 AM »
Thanks Mate, bit hard to troubleshoot right now since TV has well and truly kicked the bucket

But this is the one im wanting to buy

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/50-3d-led-tv/

My card is only a few months old, its a gigabyte brand AMD radeon HD 7870, i used it via HDMI to play MWLL just before the TV finally kicked the bucket and was really impressed with playing in full widescreen.
Cable is 1.8 meters

So i want to go HDMI with the new TV, its just this pesky audio issue that has me bummed out.

New TV has HDMI .4 and the card is as i said new, there is some talk about old MOBO's and HDMI, but im hoping the Vid card overides this. The new TV does have an older Dsub connector so i have a plan b if i cant debug the HDMI audio issue, but having played MWLL via the HDMI widescreen format, i really want to keep that option.

It may be the HDMI port of the busted TVis just outdated, and the combo of new card/new TV will be seamless.

ohhhhh i hope so,

Offline McGondy

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 02:07:56 AM »
Only way to know for certain is swap for known good. So is the Kogan on the way? Audio over HDMI can sometimes be a pain to get going, but I don't see why we can't figure this one out =]

And if worse comes to worse you can use the HDMI for video only and use optical for audio =]

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 05:11:18 AM »
Tthanks again mate, yeah its on the way. I figure just go for it and do what needs to be done to debug the issue if i need to.

The old one just needs some capacitors replaced, so in a worse case scenario i will put the new 3D TV in the bedroom and fix the old one.
But i am optimistic we can get the HDMI working on this one.
This thing can convert 2D to 3D to a certain degree so who knows i may even be able to play MWLL in 3D, that would be interesting........

Offline McGondy

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 05:54:56 AM »
This thing can convert 2D to 3D to a certain degree so who knows i may even be able to play MWLL in 3D, that would be interesting........

Having that work would be worth the price of admission =]

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 02:21:44 AM »
Got a copy of the manual today

Very strange it says

"The HDMI jacks do not support PC connection"

i dont understand, why this would be

Offline KingLeerUK

• Hawkmoth D arise!
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +533/-19
  • Hawmoth "D" Ascendant
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 04:57:00 AM »

Possibly 2 reasons:

1. The display HDMI input may not support the full range of resolutions that your PC video card can generate.  Typically in a home viewing situation the default maximum resolution sent over HDMI is 1920x1080 - or "1080p".  DVI is capable of much higher resolutions than this.  That is not to say that your HDMI connector port will not support resolutions beyond 1920x1080 as "4k" (3840x2160) can be transmitted over and HDMI cable on devices that fully support 4k and HDMI 1.4a spec.

2. Not all PC video cards support HDCP copy protection and the display probably enforces the rule that if there is no valid HDCP handshake between devices it will fail-down to standard definition resolutions.
Proud vendor of Soon™, brought to you by the makers of Someday™, Make Me a Ticket™ and Let's Talk About it Later™

Never mistake "the audience" for "the community".

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 07:07:25 AM »
Thanks again you have no idea how much i appreciate having an expert to help with this

http://media.kogan.com/files/usermanuals/KALED503DSA-A.pdf

Page 23 of this manual has the various specs

Im not sure if i should cancel the order or not and try again

There is some conflicting feedback about this brand

I was looking at the kogan 55" TV they are selling at the moment and asked their sales staff if it supports 1:1 pixel mapping. Their response was simply "Our current range of TVs do not support 1:1 pixel mapping." For me this basically writes their entire range off. It means that using a media centre PC with any of their TVs is out. Even if someone isn't currently using a media centre, not ever having the opportunity to plug in a laptop, tablet or phone into the TV is a BIG problem these days.

For anyone who hasn't heard the term 1:1 pixel mapping, it just means "work like a computer monitor". Most TVs make the picture larger and cut off the edges to hide data the comes as part of the TV broadcast. This makes everything a little bit fuzzy and makes clicking the start button on windows difficult or impossible. Its no issue for movies but can make it difficult to read text. It's one of those "features" where they've gone to a lot of extra trouble to make things worse. By enabling 1:1 pixel mapping this "feature" is turned off and you get a nice sharp image with the entire picture visible.

but then this person posts

I have good news for you all. I just got my new Kogan 55 inch (September 2012) and it does support full 1:1 pixel mapping. The setting is called simply 'fuel view' from the menu. I have confirmed this with all the latest 1080 1:1 pixel test images. Each pixel can be clearly seen individually right to the edge of the screen on all tests - with no bands indicating that there is no over scanning / re-sizing compensation going on etc - text is also very clear.

I nearly sent my Kogan back after reading this thread, but I did all the online tests and it was always perfect]