• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-9079
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
Re: New TV
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 07:18:49 AM »
The video card seems to be HDCP ready

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125418

GIGABYTE GV-R787OC-2GD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anastasius_Focht

Offline ScottRidley

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +15/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 01:21:53 PM »
In theory, digital audio transmission over HDMI should not pop or crackle at all (at least not due to turning on the fridge light) with a cable that's within spec.

What worked for me in practice with bad house wiring (solves other issues like hum loops too) is galvanic isolation of sender and receiver. The easiest way to do this is a TOSlink cable (optical). Just get the cheapest one on ebay, there's really not much difference in quality unless you're talking 15m+ lenghts.

Offline [CG]Anastasius Focht

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 12:24:27 AM »
Thanks mate, thats the next thing on my list
During the removal of the old screen i managed to excise two powerboards and an extension cord.
I had just been adding powerboards as i added devices, was quite the mess down there.
I now have a dual wall outlet running a 6 outlet  powerboard on each one.
Ive removed a bunch of old devices like the VCR , and hopefully this will help when the new TV arrives on wednesday.
Going from 4 power boards to two may be helpful

Hopefully this will help. The audio tick on the downstairs TV has stopped when i open the fridge, so im optimistic

Having said that the HDMI audio issues seem unrelated to that, with the symptoms being unrelated to other devices like the fridge. As i said ive done a search and its a common enough problem.

Some say deinstall and reinstall audio drivers, some have fixed it by upgrading to win7 (no doubt the same as a reinstall) another said to change the affinity on the service that runs it from all processors to a single one
I'm hoping for a plug and play result with the new hardware, but if not i will debug it somehow even if it means a new PC

The new TV comes with an CVBS/SPDIF audio out (i dont think its optical) since the diagram shows what looks like a minijack plug. i have a minijack to RCA splitter cable and i hope i can use this to drive my speaker amp
If not i will need a converter box digital/analog.

Worse case is an RCA type SPDIF cable to converter box setup. Ive had these old speakers for decades and they work really well so i'd like to keep them if i can, and its cheaper than replacing them with a digital home theatre system which is what the audio out on the TV seems geared to.

Its been a real nightmare, i hate change and its been inevitable during this process as i replace old tech with new.
Its been a tremendous relief to be able to get advice from the various experts here.

Thanks again all of you.

And of course i havent been able to play MWLL all week and thats driving me nuts too, i even dreamed i was playing a few nights ago, Mech withdrawal.......baaaaaaad

« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 01:33:16 AM by [CG]Anastasius Focht »
You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

Offline McGondy

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +19/-0
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 01:14:13 PM »
Apparently it is best to have the anything associated with audio on the same board... something about ground loops. Not sure on the technicalities but I keep my TV and receiver on the same board, and no problems.

Are you getting the popping only on HDMI or anything that plays?

And I too find the mind wandering in MechWarrior land... replaying old battles in my mind while I'm at work
In a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 11:56:27 PM »
Cheers Mate, will keep that in mind, its slated to arrive wednesday.

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 07:22:07 AM »
Well its up and running no problems
Played a short round in full widescreen today on one of the Matchbox servers, was just brilliant

Im getting 1080p for the desktop

Which do you think is the better option for MWLL, i have 1680 x 1050 and 1776 x 1000 at the top end of choices in the crysis menu options

Im having no sound issues at all apart from the fact the speakers on this TV are not as good as the old samsung, very tinny sound.
I'll need to either buy a digital home theatre sound system, or a converter that turns the digital back to analog to drive my old speakers.

But at the end of the day i'm really happy its all working, and want to thank you all again for the advice.

I cant overstate how much it meant to have the help

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 08:00:42 AM »
You should be able to scroll down the res selection menu and get to 1920x1080.

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 08:19:53 AM »
Oh yeah, you can too.

Thanks thats great

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 08:25:49 AM »
MW:LL in 1080p isn't good, it's magnificient!  :)

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 09:44:07 AM »
Holy Carp

Just when i thought my mechwarrior experience was at its pinnacle

Thats insane, 50 inch wide screen at 1080, I got out of my mech and just stood there gazing at it, This game is a thing of exquisite beauty at these settings.

Mechwarrior heaven

Offline McGondy

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +19/-0
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 04:43:29 PM »
Holy Carp

Just when i thought my mechwarrior experience was at its pinnacle

Thats insane, 50 inch wide screen at 1080, I got out of my mech and just stood there gazing at it, This game is a thing of exquisite beauty at these settings.

Mechwarrior heaven

Glad it worked out for you  ;)
In a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2013, 04:31:59 AM »
It did in the end lol

The kogan developed a stuck pixel, which was fine for TV viewing, but drove me crazy online.
I would have let them replace the unit, but they stuffed me around saying i needed 3 bad pixels before they would act, so i went out and bought a 50 inch 3D samsung today.
Im sending the kogan back and they have no choice but to refund, since according to ACCC rules if i had known it had a bad pixel i wouldnt have bought it.
The sammy is a better unit, 3D is crisper, sound is better , image sharper etc etc.

As i said i would have let them replace it, but given i paid an extra 150 bucks for extended warranty, telling me i had to live with a bad pixel out of the box got my back up.

I have a firm "dont reward failure" philosophy

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 11:05:58 PM »
Watched Prometheus in 3D last night on it, Stunning.

At one point there was a scene where smoke drifts from right to left across the scene. For a split second i though something had actually caught fire in the room lol

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2013, 07:28:25 AM »
Hoping someone can help with this

Ive noticed today that in game terrain at a distance seems hazy.

Its hard to know, but it seems like i didnt have this on the older samsung, or for that matter the Kogan, but this new sammy seems to give this effect.

There are so many settings in the card options, any suggestions ?

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2013, 08:03:59 AM »
May have solved this myself, i changed the settings to maintain aspect ratio, and playing on alshain seems crystal clear