Author Topic: New TV  (Read 8216 times)

Offline McGondy

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +19/-0
Re: New TV
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2013, 04:33:27 AM »
It did in the end lol

The kogan developed a stuck pixel, which was fine for TV viewing, but drove me crazy online.
I would have let them replace the unit, but they stuffed me around saying i needed 3 bad pixels before they would act, so i went out and bought a 50 inch 3D samsung today.
Im sending the kogan back and they have no choice but to refund, since according to ACCC rules if i had known it had a bad pixel i wouldnt have bought it.
The sammy is a better unit, 3D is crisper, sound is better , image sharper etc etc.

As i said i would have let them replace it, but given i paid an extra 150 bucks for extended warranty, telling me i had to live with a bad pixel out of the box got my back up.

I have a firm "dont reward failure" philosophy

Ouch! Call me pedantic, but the dead/stuck pixel warranty is the first thing I look at after size, resolution and panel type. IMO Samsung have the best panels out there, in terms of crispness and definition in blacks (cannot overstate the importance of this!) a stuck pixel out of the box is unacceptable, you definitely made the right call there!
In a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies

Offline [CG]Anastasius Focht

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-9079
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2013, 04:51:23 AM »
Yeah i couldnt believe their attitude, basically said tough shit, not realising it was still in the 14 day can be returned under consumer law period.
Couldnt be happier with the samsung, it has smart TV, and wireless, all the good bits.
Plugged a USB HDD into it today so it can record programs.
Just need the digital to analog audio converter to drive my legacy sound system and im happy
You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anastasius_Focht

Offline ScottRidley

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +15/-0
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2013, 05:26:11 AM »
basically said tough shit, not realising it was still in the 14 day can be returned under consumer law period.

Or maybe they were well aware, just hoping you weren't.

Just need the digital to analog audio converter to drive my legacy sound system and im happy

Depending on what your TV is able to output, you might be looking at a Dolby/DTS decoder here. Pure decoders are a bit of an oddity, hard to get a good one at a sane price. Most of those are aimed at audiophiles. Maybe a better solution to get a good receiver second hand and use the pre-amp out of that.

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 07:13:58 AM »
Thanks Mate

Its an optical out via TosLink cable, i figure this should do the trick

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AC1631

I can get one cheaper on ebay, but this one has the local power supply , by the time i buy a cheaper one on ebay, pay the shipping and buy a wall outlet adapter the difference is about 10 bucks
You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

Offline ScottRidley

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +15/-0
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 09:22:11 AM »
Quote from: from jaycar website
This DAC accepts 2 channel digital audio only and works with any PCM stream with Dolby Digital or DTS disabled
As long as you can get your TV to downmix to 2 channels and output as PCM (TV handles the decoding before outputting to optical) this should work. Better check the manual.

If not, see above.

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2013, 12:08:12 AM »
Thanks Mate,
Yes PCM is all thats supported on the SPDIF output menu
Dolby digital and DTS are listed but cant be selected

I'm optimistic it should work OK

Its only a pair of very old AKAI stereo speakers driven by an Amp, but they make the floor shake with the mechs footfalls and ive used them since MW4.
Ive replaced the larger of the 3 speakers once in 20 years, and its this ability to repair them that makes we prefer to keep them rather than replace with a home theatre setup.
I checked out a couple of these instore when i bought the PC, and the sound was great, but they didnt look like they could be easily repaired at home if needed.