Author Topic: New Mech Game I Am Working On [Updated 04/14/17]  (Read 8486 times)

Offline EmyLightsaber

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-1
Re: Rough draft on a model for a new mech game [Update 06/12]
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 07:17:20 PM »
Perfect. Spot On.
Raise your quality standards as high as you can live with, avoid wasting your time on routine problems, and always try to work as closely as possible at the boundary of your abilities. Do this, because it is the only way of discovering how that boundary should be moved forward.

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:
Main point: "OH LOOK AT ME I'm A BIG STUPID MECH WITH A SILLY GUN AND I'M ALL AGILE AND GRACEFUL OH LOOK OVER THERE IT's A TR MAX...............................OH MY GOD I CAN LICK MY OWN KNEECAPS AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE MY SPINE IS."

Offline Bird_Thing

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-4
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 09:18:16 PM »
Much better this one!

Can't wait to see where this will go

Offline Chezzar

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +25/-0
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2013, 12:46:00 AM »
Even better...the way it sways from side to side.

Offline KingLeerUK

• Hawkmoth D arise!
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +534/-19
  • Hawmoth "D" Ascendant
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 05:41:57 AM »
You are getting a fair bit of geometry clipping between the back of the reverse knee joint and the back of the "thigh" at the top of the leg raise within the walk cycle.  Also remember that as the 'Mech goes from a slow-walk, walk, run, sprint that the actual gait changes and you will need to morph between them.
Proud vendor of Soon™, brought to you by the makers of Someday™, Make Me a Ticket™ and Let's Talk About it Later™

Never mistake "the audience" for "the community".

Offline The Spartan

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-0
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 05:30:47 PM »
You are getting a fair bit of geometry clipping between the back of the reverse knee joint and the back of the "thigh" at the top of the leg raise within the walk cycle.  Also remember that as the 'Mech goes from a slow-walk, walk, run, sprint that the actual gait changes and you will need to morph between them.

Thanks for mentioning that, I actually noticed it before but I forgot to change it.

I don't have experience with making different animations for different speeds, but my plan was use this one for normal walking speeds and make 2 extra animations, one for running and one for slow walking so I can blend between those.

Offline The Spartan

• Recruit
Re: Rough draft on a model for a new mech game [Update 03/02/15]
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 08:03:17 AM »
UPDATE 03/02/15

Hi guys, it's been almost 3 years, things did not work out well with Cryengine 3 SDK, I use blender to do my modeling and animation because its pretty much the only free alternative to 3DS Max or Maya. So I had to rely on a plugin called CryBlend to get my character into the game. At some point my mech would not export anymore and I gave up, I spent the next few years with the game in the back of my mind and every once in a while I would check to see if the new version of CryBlend would allow me to export my character to no avail.

A couple of weeks ago my friend told me about Unity and said I should try it out for my game. So I did, and results have been very good. I now have about a weeks worth of work into developing my game in Unity, a couple videos of my progress will be below, I've gotten very simple movement controls to work with my mech and made the torso rotate to where I am looking without overriding the 'headbob' effect from my walking animation.

Right now I only have my mech model and one walking animation made, as well as 16km x 16km of terrain generated by World Machine in-game.

Several things have changed about my mech game design, I have done research and asked some educated people about things like fusion reactors, thermocouples, capacitors, rail guns, etc. and the info I have gathered has had a huge effect on my design. Things will be a lot different, and even a little backwards than things are in other mech games as far as how your mech performs and how it overheats.

My mechs will be powered by fusion reactors, fusion reactors generate huge amounts of energy, and they cannot be throttled; they continue to generate energy until the reaction runs out on it's own. A fusion reactor is a heat power source, and you have to turn that heat into electricity somehow, just like a coal powerplant which burns coal to turn water into steam, then uses that steam to turn turbines. My mechs won't have steam turbines generating power, thats where thermocouples come in, a thermocouple is a type of material that generates electricity when you heat it up, and it cools down when you draw electricity out.

The fusion reactor will generate heat, then the thermocouple will absorb that heat and produce electricity, the thermocouple will only cool off when electricity is drawn out however. This forms the basis of how the mechs reactor will be handled, it works a little backwards from the way we are used to thinking, you use power to cool off your reactor. This only applies to your reactor though, your equipment and weapons will work like normal, heating up when they are used, and cooling off when they are not.

So one of the most important things to designing and managing your mech will be to make sure you are always cooling off your reactor by drawing electricity away from it, there are several ways to draw electricity out,  capacitors in your mech will charge up with extra energy for later use, cooling off your reactor until they are fully charged. Using energy weapons, using equipment like stealth generators, shields, active sensors. And you can always dump your power into the ground if your are in trouble but other mechs will be able to detect you if you do that. One of the biggest choices you can make for your mech however is what type of fuel you want to use in your reactor, different kinds of fuel will produce different kinds of reactions, some with very high power output, and others with lower power outputs. So you can choose to have a more stealthy mech that can survive long-term or even indefinitely in stealth mode without their reactor overheating, but lacking in power to fight for long-term once they are discovered, or you can have an extremely powerful mech that can fight very well but is more unstable, harder to manage, and cannot use a stealth generator and be entirely undetectable because it must use other equipment and things to dissipate all the energy that it is creating; giving off it's position.

As I think I have stated before, I want to eventually have a combined arms type gameplay, with AI controlling the weaker assets like tanks, infantry, and smaller non-fusion-powered mechs; players controlling the big mechs, and being able to take control of the weaker assets once they have died.

As far as graphics goes I want it to look at least as good as mechwarrior 2, it will most likely look better than that with the large view distances and everything, but I am aiming for at least as good as MW2.

The next thing I want to work on is getting the networking to work with what I've already created, so that I can design everything from the ground up to be a multiplayer online game.

Videos and pics of my progress:

http://youtu.be/vNleEyese4A?t=46s

http://youtu.be/SBwZ7GOxUu8

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 08:19:11 AM by The Spartan »

Offline Fury9er

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +20/-4
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 10:58:39 AM »
That is coming along nicely :D Love the moonwalking mech in the second video :)

I like how you have looked into the background of the technology that the machines would have, I enjoy a proper attempt at realism in my sci fi :)

Offline The Spartan

• Recruit
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2016, 09:50:14 PM »
UPDATE 03/27/16

Hey Guys, I've been busy with my job for most of the past year. But I have made some progress on this game. I have added fully working networking code that allows people to play together over the internet or LAN, with the bare bones of my server - client relationship that will take care of lag compensation, client-side prediction, and all that good stuff that makes some multiplayer games super smooth and responsive.

No weapons yet though, pretty much all you can do is see each other and walk around together. I can create a build of the game and upload it to dropbox or something for you guys to mess around with if you want, but can't do it right now.

I thought I would just stop by and give you guys the customary annual update, even though I don't really have much to show, almost all of the work has been put into non-visible things like networking.

Here is a recent video I made of me testing how many tree sprites I could have on my terrain without dropping the FPS too much, the answer was a lot! lol. I was also in the process of adding a zoom-window feature and I've added a really simple HUD element that shows you the orientation of your mech.

https://youtu.be/jjjKlSC_9S4
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:15:08 PM by The Spartan »

Offline EmyLightsaber

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-1
Re: Rough draft on a model for a new mech game [Updated 03/27/16]
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2016, 09:08:31 AM »
How exactly did you get the terrain generated?
Raise your quality standards as high as you can live with, avoid wasting your time on routine problems, and always try to work as closely as possible at the boundary of your abilities. Do this, because it is the only way of discovering how that boundary should be moved forward.

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:
Main point: "OH LOOK AT ME I'm A BIG STUPID MECH WITH A SILLY GUN AND I'M ALL AGILE AND GRACEFUL OH LOOK OVER THERE IT's A TR MAX...............................OH MY GOD I CAN LICK MY OWN KNEECAPS AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE MY SPINE IS."

Offline The Spartan

• Recruit
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2016, 02:52:12 AM »
How exactly did you get the terrain generated?

I used World Machine, it's the best terrain-gen software out there; at least that I could find. Their website is here, http://www.world-machine.com/

Offline cest73

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +21/-15
  • there are links in my signature -->
    • MW:LL game status online (kudos: Spooky)
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2016, 12:52:57 PM »
looks promising so far, keep up! ;)

Offline The Spartan

• Recruit
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2016, 08:20:44 AM »
I just successfully tested connecting over the internet in the game. I'd love to join a game with some of you guys and do a little bit of a stress test, I'll have a link to a build shortly.

Anyone interested add me on steam and we can coordinate from there: http://steamcommunity.com/id/King_Hayve/

Offline DeimosEvotec

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +10/-0
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2016, 10:33:43 AM »
I would love to help, just like I tried to help death_grin's Shattered Front but sadly it didn't take off and his forum shut down.

Offline The Spartan

• Recruit
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2016, 04:56:42 AM »
Video I made today testing the networking:

https://youtu.be/Z0DuR99ozSk

Here is a link to a test build of the game if you wanna check it out:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39066510/WartekTest.zip

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-1
    • 12th Vegan Rangers Forum
Member of the 12th Vegan Rangers
http://twelfthvr.freeforums.org/index.php

See who is playing MWLL right now, without having to start the game: http://stats.spikx.net/mwll.html