Author Topic: Syba Combo Card Question  (Read 2291 times)

Offline est1895

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-0
Syba Combo Card Question
« on: June 01, 2013, 05:03:40 AM »
I would like your thoughts on getting this add-on card for my Asus P5N-D motherboard.  :-\      PS.(I only have one video card)
This is my motherboard specs       http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5ND/#specifications
This is the add-on card                http://sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=1397&currentPage=0

Offline KingLeerUK

• Hawkmoth D arise!
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +534/-19
  • Hawmoth "D" Ascendant
Re: Syba Combo Card Question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 07:32:33 AM »
You will have to install it in one of the the PCIe 16x slots your motherboard has or the USB 3.0 ports will automatically downgrade to USB 2.0 speeds.  So make sure the other "long" PCIe isn't blocked by other cards.  Beyond that, not too much else to say, Syba makes good stuff in my experience.  That MB is a tad older, but assuming you are wanting access to a few faster busses without having to upgrade the whole machine.  You won't get the same performance as you would with a completely upgraded machine with those busses onboard due to the additional CPU time and lower overall buss performance of the P5N-D motherboard.  I've still got a P5N32E SLI Plus that is a solid performer.
Proud vendor of Soon™, brought to you by the makers of Someday™, Make Me a Ticket™ and Let's Talk About it Later™

Never mistake "the audience" for "the community".

Offline McGondy

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +19/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 06:19:21 AM »
I would like your thoughts on getting this add-on card for my Asus P5N-D motherboard.  :-\      PS.(I only have one video card)
This is my motherboard specs       http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5ND/#specifications
This is the add-on card                http://sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=1397&currentPage=0

What are you getting out of the card? USB 3 ports or attempting to upgrade your SATA config?
In a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies

Offline est1895

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 09:05:48 PM »
Well I only have one PCI 2.0 slot left on my motherboard.  I want to have 2 X SATA III and 2 X USB 3.0 both on one card.  I'm doing this because I plan on getting 2 SSD SATA III drives and a external hard drive that uses USB 3.0 (its faster than 2.0)

Offline KingLeerUK

• Hawkmoth D arise!
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +534/-19
  • Hawmoth "D" Ascendant
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 09:45:56 PM »
I'm not sure what FSB speed you are running, but I'll be honest here and say that if you are putting SSD drives into a machine this old they will be choked by upstream resource constraints and not perform as well as if the SATA controller was integrated to a modern motherboard.

You are basically putting racing fuel in a Toyota Corolla.

Also, I don't know what operating system you have on this machine, but unless you are on at least Windows 7 you will not have TRIM support in the OS to properly manage the SSDs which will make them degrade in performance much faster.
Proud vendor of Soon™, brought to you by the makers of Someday™, Make Me a Ticket™ and Let's Talk About it Later™

Never mistake "the audience" for "the community".

Offline est1895

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 09:54:19 PM »
I'm not sure what FSB speed you are running, but I'll be honest here and say that if you are putting SSD drives into a machine this old they will be choked by upstream resource constraints and not perform as well as if the SATA controller was integrated to a modern motherboard.

You are basically putting racing fuel in a Toyota Corolla.

Also, I don't know what operating system you have on this machine, but unless you are on at least Windows 7 you will not have TRIM support in the OS to properly manage the SSDs which will make them degrade in performance much faster.

I plan on upgrading to Windows 7 Pro 64bit.  I think the FSB is 6400.  My memory sticks are DDR2 800.

What do you mean by degrade?  Since this system is so old, will the SSD's receive damage? :o  The only reason I'm doing this is I can't afford to buy a new motherboard, video card, memory and proccesor. :(
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:07:54 AM by est1895 »

Offline McGondy

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 08:49:04 AM »
Well, you'll get the spiffy access times but transfer rates will be bottlenecked by the controller card and CPU. You will get a speed boost, but as the SSD has data written and deleted it will leave crap behind slowing the drive down further. TRIM support is native to Win7 so get that at the same time.

Offline est1895

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 11:16:33 PM »
Well, you'll get the spiffy access times but transfer rates will be bottlenecked by the controller card and CPU. You will get a speed boost, but as the SSD has data written and deleted it will leave crap behind slowing the drive down further. TRIM support is native to Win7 so get that at the same time.

If I just use the SATA I ports that are on the old motherboard, would that be as faster then? :-\  And what is TRIM? ???

I have another question.  I bought 2 Western Digital VelociRaptors hard drives, 3 years ago, at a good price and have remained to this day in storage.  Do you think the drives are ok?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:51:16 AM by est1895 »

Offline McGondy

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 07:52:04 AM »
If I just use the SATA I ports that are on the old motherboard, would that be as faster then? :-\

SSDs improve over HDDs by decreasing latency (time drive takes to find data) and increasing read and write speeds (faster game loads and program installs/FRAPS recordings respectively). I don't think latentcy will be affected too much, but SATA I will be saturated, and SATA III may have a large 'overhead' (use of system resources slowing the whole PC)

And what is TRIM? ???

TRIM basically prepares 'deleted' parts of the drive to have data written over the top of it. Without TRIM, the drive will have to do it as you are writing the data which will significantly decrease the performance of the drive.

I have another question.  I bought 2 Western Digital VelociRaptors hard drives, 3 years ago, at a good price and have remained to this day in storage.  Do you think the drives are ok?

WD raptors are gods among traditional HDDs, but even they pale in comparison to an SSD. If they haven't been jostled around too much they should work fine.