Author Topic: 1/35th scale Horizon Timber Wolf.  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Fury9er

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +20/-4
1/35th scale Horizon Timber Wolf.
« on: June 05, 2013, 12:46:39 PM »
Just over a year ago I was lucky enough to find and win one of these on Ebay. It was produced in the early 1990s by Horizon hobbies and is made of vinyl - in 1/35th scale it stands just about 12" tall.

It was painted using Tamiya and Revell acryilic paints with some Revell and Humbrol oil enamels for the washes. MIG weathering pigments were used to filth it up around the feet and other grimy areas.

The building pics are more or less in order, I have not added any explanations yet so if anyone has a question feel free to ask :)

2013-06-05 11.11.35 by Fury9er, on Flickr

Progress pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88800429@N03/sets/72157633944633238/

I decided to make some alterations to it, you can see in the build pictures I planned to alter the pose of the legs to match the 3050 Upgrade tech readout line art, but that went a bit wrong so I decided to exercise some restraint and leave the legs alone.

Some of the custom work:

Smaller LRMs - So it looks as though 240 of them can fit inside the 'Mech.

A proper turned aluminium Medium Pulse Laser.

Thin steel machine gun barrels installed as close to the TRO locations as possible.

Cockpit with consoles and a pilot figure (in a clan full body cool-suit) - got some inspiration from the MWLL TWolf's cockpit but added some volume behind so the entry hatch lined up.

Things still to do:

Cockpit glazing - the easter egg packet in the build pics was the plan but I am not sure how to make it stick, might need some kind mechanical fastener like small screws or plastic rivets.

Tidy up the hip joints.

Put a nice wash on the right MG pod.

Blanking covers for the unused MG troughs in the CT/Head.

Offline Ch3m1kal

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +59/-2
Re: 1/35th scale Horizon Timber Wolf.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 02:52:04 PM »
Holy crap that is insanely awesome!
Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline b0bgeld0f

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-2
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 05:03:44 PM »
woah... thats sick..!!!
the easter egg glazing is a fine idea, to fix it i would suggest a product called gripfill... its good stuff and would most likely stick jelly to a wall :P
just make sure you give the bonding surfaces a light key with some fine grit sand paper/wet and dry.. as with everything like this it might pay you to do a test run on some scrap material, but im pretty confident it will work for your needs..
thanks for sharing, its a very pretty badass looking piece :)

Offline Fury9er

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 06:37:05 PM »
Thanks for the kind words :) I will have a look for gripfill, it might do the business. I orginally thought superglue and accelerant would do the job but I don't want it to fog up! Another awkward thing about working in vinyl is the inside of parts has an organic uneven surface so it might need some levelling out first.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +156/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 07:58:43 PM »
Damn that's awesome!

Offline b0bgeld0f

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-2
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 08:19:10 PM »
...the inside of parts has an organic uneven surface so it might need some levelling out first.

I wouldnt worry too much about that... the purpose of gripfill is to fill gaps while bonding... umm... things that need bonding :P
its mostly used by builders, it sets rock hard and is quite brittle (but that shouldn't matter in this instance)... seems that it wont stick polystyrene, but will stick vinyl flooring, so its fair to assume that it'll work for you here, only drawback is you have to buy a tube and most likely use less than 1% of it... it can be damn messy tho, if you go for it do some test runs on scrap just to get a feel for how it behaves...

Failing that im sure a hot glue gun will help you out...

or (nearly forgot about this) theres this new stuff called sugru, a sort of soft rubber that you can form into shapes and it sets like soft plastic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82_mFqRlE6g
it looks, well.. awesome :)

Offline [CG]Anastasius Focht

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-9079
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 12:33:30 AM »
Really Really great job.

Looks fantastic

Be careful with superglue and clear plastic though, it can craze the plastic ie make it go foggy
You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anastasius_Focht

Offline khazzor

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 08:27:07 PM »
WOW, love it!  I'm just getting started on a 1/100 glaug officer's pod kit from bandai to make my marauder ... and this is some kick ass inspiration!

Offline Fury9er

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 08:39:30 PM »
Happy to be of service ^_^ Show us some WIPs of the 'rauder!