Author Topic: Best External Hardrive?  (Read 5005 times)

Offline Ch3m1kal

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +59/-2
Re: Best External Hardrive?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 08:52:53 AM »
And I'd avoid OCZ at all costs, not matter what ;P

I'd actually second that. The Vertex 3 i own is working fine now, but it needed like 3 firmware updates until it stopped randomly disconnecting from the controller.
I also bought an OCZ Petrol a while ago for my little media box. Went through 4 of them, all failing within the first month, until the shop i buy from stopped carrying them and i got a Corsair Force instead. The Corsairs are great, but overpriced.
Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 09:06:45 AM »
It's not just that, the company has done some other bullshit in the past as well (like buying memory modules from other companies that were dedicated as "defect", scraping off the printing on them and re-label and resell them as their own).

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 03:17:02 AM »
It's not just that, the company has done some other bullshit in the past as well (like buying memory modules from other companies that were dedicated as "defect", scraping off the printing on them and re-label and resell them as their own).

Yeah this.  OCZ is a real shady company.  Completely not worth putting your trust in them.

The Kingston Hyper-X are pretty good price/performance item.

I also like to check out https://www.4myrebate.com prior to shopping for stuff, as it can help influence who you buy at item from.  When I built my last system in Nov/Dec, I picked up a couple items at a higher purchase price due to retailer specific mail in rebates that I was able to find there.  Ended up saving me about $75 or so on a $1200 build, as I was able to use the rebates towards planned purchases for another computer in the household.