Author Topic: Smoke Jags are coming......Huntress returning  (Read 9111 times)

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
Re: Smoke Jags are coming......Huntress returning
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 05:04:41 AM »
Well, Wolf's made this post here so I'll get this out of the way so that any issues anyone has can be cleared in advance of the positive drive we're actually trying to make with this return.

I will say that, in the grand scheme of things, we did leave the community in a bit of a state when we left MWLL as we did. I will apologise to Invictus, if he's still around, who's a generally solid guy, who I gave more grief than he deserved over a test bed for a league system that we were not entirely positive was going to work flawlessly in the first place.

I'll keep details light for now, but I will say that hopefully, with a bit of work, things will get a lot more active around here in the near future.

Oh, and keep your first weekend in September free if you can.

Flame on!

No problem man, things fell apart basically because MWLL development stopped and hamstringed the influx of players.
I couldn't work on the league much after I was brought into the balance team in the mad rush for 0.7.0, ironically Vlaad asked me to partly because of the work I had done on the league showed him I actually cared about the game and had some grasp of balancing.

Basically I don't think a league of any size is possible without some serious automation, even when I was unemployed the massive amount of number crunching required was just too much and sapped the fun out of it.

Last thing I was working on before my big hiatus (I'm trying to play MWLL more now) was the division based droplist system to take alot of the guess work and overtweaking out of games.

http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,19093.0.html

Much easier to keep track of divisions prepacked for specific tasks at specific weight limits.  I think I have more sitting around on a notepad file somewhere on my comp if the system has any merit.

Anyways, welcome to the post apocalyptic MWLL where everyone is mutants with eyepatches and all our mechs have wicked biker gear.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Xesle

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +84/-19
  • Git gud scrubs
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 06:48:12 AM »
Mechwarrior Online must really suck.

I could've sworn somebody told me most of the SJ guys were playing planetside 2 in the time since they left.

Prodigal son my ass.

Offline ~SJ~MausGMR

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +83/-7
  • Oh snap...
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 11:21:26 AM »
Well, Wolf's made this post here so I'll get this out of the way so that any issues anyone has can be cleared in advance of the positive drive we're actually trying to make with this return.

I will say that, in the grand scheme of things, we did leave the community in a bit of a state when we left MWLL as we did. I will apologise to Invictus, if he's still around, who's a generally solid guy, who I gave more grief than he deserved over a test bed for a league system that we were not entirely positive was going to work flawlessly in the first place.

I'll keep details light for now, but I will say that hopefully, with a bit of work, things will get a lot more active around here in the near future.

Oh, and keep your first weekend in September free if you can.

Flame on!

No problem man, things fell apart basically because MWLL development stopped and hamstringed the influx of players.
I couldn't work on the league much after I was brought into the balance team in the mad rush for 0.7.0, ironically Vlaad asked me to partly because of the work I had done on the league showed him I actually cared about the game and had some grasp of balancing.

Basically I don't think a league of any size is possible without some serious automation, even when I was unemployed the massive amount of number crunching required was just too much and sapped the fun out of it.

Last thing I was working on before my big hiatus (I'm trying to play MWLL more now) was the division based droplist system to take alot of the guess work and overtweaking out of games.

http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,19093.0.html

Much easier to keep track of divisions prepacked for specific tasks at specific weight limits.  I think I have more sitting around on a notepad file somewhere on my comp if the system has any merit.

Anyways, welcome to the post apocalyptic MWLL where everyone is mutants with eyepatches and all our mechs have wicked biker gear.

Sure mate, appreciate that. I know things have been tough here and that competition has basically died. I am however, hoping to change that. You'll be pleased to hear that one thing i've found over in the MWO community is no shortage of people willing to design and run planetary leagues, so I've already got one league admin who will support MWLL with his Planetary league and it's current automation. In addition to this, i'm looking to bring over a good chunk of players who will support this and make this possible. It's going to take a little effort, but I think it will easily be manageable as long as the support elements are in place to ensure people can install and play the game easily.

I am wanting to adjust the Planetary league from a simple no respawn system to an actual league the uses TC and either a complement of assets, or somewhat complete freedom of choice. I am wanting ideas though, so a discussion on what we've got so far, followed by suggestions and input from MWLL community members would be great.

<Freeborn_Toad> what's a Maus?
<Razorin-Faust> It's what you get when Chuck Norris and Natasha Kerensky have a kid : Maus

The prodigal son has returned

Offline ELH_Vivicector

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +49/-4
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 03:23:15 PM »
Hey, what? Planetary league? People here? MWLL competitive? Hell yea! I believe, you can count ELH in! 8)

Offline Spifficus

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +11/-0
  • HELL YEAH! THIS GAME ROCKS!!!!
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 07:12:30 PM »
This thread makes me very happy.  ;D More players, an american server, and planetary league.... nothing but win! I hope this all comes to fruition.  Welcome back Smoke Jaguar.

guns a blazin'  8)
THIS IS PRETTY MUCH THE ONLY GAME I PLAY. LOVE IT!!!
Watch out! This moving target might bite back!
My Youtube Vids
http://www.youtube.com/user/darkcloud1979?feature=mhum

Happiness is an inside job

Intel i7 930 2.8ghz CPU, Asus P6T mobo, 10gb DDR3 Tri-channel Ram 1066, 1x Nvidia GTX550 ti 1 GB DDR5 and 1x 8800gt 528MB for physics, Windows 7 Ultimate

Offline Werewolf486}12thVR{

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-1
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 09:50:28 PM »
Mechwarrior Online must really suck.

There just aren't words adequate enough......I actually miss doing Alpha testing, and you...so yeah really sucks! I even kinda find myself cheering when I get to kill CoolJ on MWO because it reminds me of the good ol' days!
NEW: Cooler Master ATSC840                                                    OLD: Cooler Master ATSC840
ASUS LGA2011 Rampage IV Black Edition/Intel i7-4930K             ASUS LGA775 Rampage Extreme/Intel Q9550S
ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/27" ASUS Monitor                          ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/ 24" ASUS Monitor
16GB Corsair Vengeance/Razor Nostromo/M70,M65 Corsair         8GB OCZ Reaper/ N52te/Sidewinder
Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit                                     Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit
250gb Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/500GB WD Blue x 2 in Raid1        80GB Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/750GB WD Blue x2 in Raid1

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 10:06:04 PM »
Sounds good then.

So long as we can package Crysis Wars trial with MWLL 0.7.0 + 0.7.1 and not run any CDkey checks for any servers we use it should be manageable.
Doing it by purchasing Wars is a big pain. >_>

The other difficulty will be maps. So many god. damn. maps. And half of them are so huge file size wise and complex. If we could churn out some REALLY basic maps at really small file sizes that would be a big step. I remember once people had gotten into the league itself map management was a huge pain. We could probably use the simple maps to do standard norespawn and introduce the existing TC maps slowly starting with the default ones to be more manageable.

The move from just no respawn to other gamemodes is a natural one, makes too much sense to use what MWLL already has built in.

As far as Norespawn goes though, it really depends on the economy. I'm up for anything at this point, much of the reason the pack system itself was created was because of glaring imbalances between variants; I hope the rebalance addressed at least a sizable chunk of the problem. It should anyways because we went over not only variants but went through the heat system and how each weapon type fundamentally functioned. The only thing that really didn't get addressed was air power, so it wouldn't bother me too much if that was optional to make it more attractive to the more traditional mechwarrior crowd.  :P

It depends on how much weight the automation can pull, if someone could throw together a droplist on an easy to use tool or website that has simple UI and does the calculations for them THEN sends it to the admin, then I could see droplists happening in a decent amount of time. But from what I saw the more freedom you give people the longer the decisions take and that process will either tax people during the week or delay games right as they're supposed to happen. That is my main worry at this point if automation and administration are a given.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +125/-33
  • Cheese!
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 10:56:25 PM »
Vic, we are going to go with an OP Viper style event in order to test bed the TC with respawns concept.
My milk shakes!

Offline ELH_MrGray

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-9
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 05:49:10 AM »
Good to see some movement, i miss organized games so much.

@xInVicTuSx If you need additional head and pair of hands i'm at your disposal.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 10:26:00 AM by ELH_MrGray »

"Do you know what the sound of 2 UAC/20s is?"
"What's it sound like?"
"RAPERAPERAPERAPE."

Offline EmyLightsaber

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-1
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 05:55:38 AM »
The other difficulty will be maps. So many god. damn. maps. And half of them are so huge file size wise and complex. If we could churn out some REALLY basic maps at really small file sizes that would be a big step. I remember once people had gotten into the league itself map management was a huge pain. We could probably use the simple maps to do standard norespawn and introduce the existing TC maps slowly starting with the default ones to be more manageable.

I heard you liek basic maps. (MWBU maps.)
Raise your quality standards as high as you can live with, avoid wasting your time on routine problems, and always try to work as closely as possible at the boundary of your abilities. Do this, because it is the only way of discovering how that boundary should be moved forward.

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:
Main point: "OH LOOK AT ME I'm A BIG STUPID MECH WITH A SILLY GUN AND I'M ALL AGILE AND GRACEFUL OH LOOK OVER THERE IT's A TR MAX...............................OH MY GOD I CAN LICK MY OWN KNEECAPS AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE MY SPINE IS."

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-2
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 07:55:19 PM »
 Old pic , but in new theme ^ )

Offline Ressk [CSF]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +72/-2
  • Khan of [CSF]
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 09:27:32 PM »
this pleases me greatly!
Recruitment Page For CSF

click the pic /\
ULLER4LYFE! the internet hates CSF

Offline Because people mistake me for someone else

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-9
  • Dispenser of Hate & Justice, unlimited ammo still
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2013, 07:31:09 PM »
Well well, nice to see that all.
Now stop standing ´round at the door, come in, room is spare in abundance ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0976embDvhY&feature=youtu.be
*Counterstacking by OneManArmy.dll*
"Why so hateful ?" "I am, and you are too"

Offline =CJW= Dhalrin

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +25/-0
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2013, 12:24:42 AM »
Hi guys,

If you need any Op Viper related material or advice, feel free to drop me a PM. Most of it should still be available through the links in the various forum posts, anyway.
I doubt that I will have the time to do any heavy lifting, but feel free to use and/or adapt whatever you need.

Cheers,

Dhal
Absolutely no Fun allowed on this Bocks!

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 01:14:37 AM »
If you are gonna do it TC, then why not enable player tickets?  Give each player 'lives'.  That could keep it interesting, and we wouldn't have to set up long matches just to make a TC match worth doing.

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)