Author Topic: Free Reticle Discussion - My preference  (Read 3777 times)

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
Free Reticle Discussion - My preference
« on: August 20, 2013, 08:11:38 PM »
Ok, I didn't actually had all my facts straight about this in the #SaveMWO #ResurrectMWLL thread, so I'll explain what works and how, and where I was wrong:

First, a video of how its supposed to work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fePBRK69hU
(Unrestricted Free Reticle and Fixed Reticle, toggling between both with one key)

For an "Unrestricted Free Reticle" you need cl_free_reticle_independent = 0 and "toggle_free_reticle" On. For the "Fixed Reticle", cl_free_reticle_independent = 1 and "toggle_free_reticle" Off (which is by default).

To achieve a toggling key between both methods, this is needed in your actionmaps.xml and your active_actionmaps, inside the <actionmap name="mech" section:

Code: [Select]
<action name="toggleIntCvar cl_free_reticle_independent" onPress="1" consoleCmd="1">
 <key name="lalt"/>
</action>
<action name="toggle_free_reticle" onPress="1">
 <key name="lalt"/>
</action>
<action name="center_free_reticle" onPress="1">
 <key name="lalt"/>
</action>

And your autoexec.cfg needs to have con_restricted 0 and cl_free_reticle_independent 1.

So now when you start a match you will have Fixed Reticle (as cl_free_reticle_independent will be 1 and toggle_free_reticle will be Off). When you press the key you chose (in my case its left alt) it'll now switch to cl_free_reticle_independent 0 and toggle_free_reticle On, giving you "Unrestricted Free Reticle".

And that's it. I was wrong before when I said "toggleIntCvar cl_free_reticle_independent" wouldn't be needed, because we still need to switch that CVAR.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" Šokaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline ACE FIGHTER

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +12/-1
Re: Free Reticle Discussion - My preference
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 09:25:43 AM »
I did same thing, but different result... ummm? :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8jen64vXdw

Why? I can't understand.

In your video, head move when reticle go far like default free reticle.
But head don't move in my case. This is useful though. lol
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:42:12 PM by ACE FIGHTER »

Offline Rajveer

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 11:20:35 AM »
Could you upload both your autoexec.cfg and active action map?

Offline ACE FIGHTER

• Lance Sergeant

Offline Rajveer

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 03:56:59 PM »
You're missing "con_restricted 0" in your autoexec.cfg, put that in and see if that fixes it.

Offline ACE FIGHTER

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 04:26:40 PM »
No difference. :P

Commands are applied without con_restricted=0.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:33:53 PM by ACE FIGHTER »

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 04:37:50 PM »
Did you put con_restricted 0 before the cl_free_reticle_independent 1 command in the autoexec? Make it the first command for example.

Also, ingame in free reticle mode, can you check the value of cl_free_reticle_independent in your console and tell us? It needs to be at 0 in free reticle. In fixed reticle, at 1.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline ACE FIGHTER

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 07:59:20 AM »
Did you put con_restricted 0 before the cl_free_reticle_independent 1 command in the autoexec? Make it the first command for example.
Yes. But it doesn't matter. I can apply it(cl_free_reticle_independent=0/1 of autoexec) without con_restricted=0, anyway.

Also, ingame in free reticle mode, can you check the value of cl_free_reticle_independent in your console and tell us? It needs to be at 0 in free reticle. In fixed reticle, at 1.
It may be the cause of this problem. It doesn't seem to work correctly.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:46:32 AM by ACE FIGHTER »

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 11:55:58 AM »
Well, here's something important. Your "active_actionmaps_dwadwad.xml", make a copy of it to somewhere and rename that copy to "actionmaps.xml", then paste it in your profile folder, replacing the older one. The game reads the key bindings from "actionmaps.xml", not "active_actionmaps_dwadwad.xml", and you may be missing the "<action name="toggleIntCvar cl_free_reticle_independent" onPress="1" consoleCmd="1">" action there.

It may be the cause of this problem. It doesn't seem to work correctly.

Lets see, when you're in free reticle mode (with the locked torso twist), type in your console cl_free_reticle_independent 1. Are you now able to turn the torso with the cursor?
Tools and I:

Offline ELH_MrGray

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-9
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 12:53:28 PM »
Everyone must use it, approved!

"Do you know what the sound of 2 UAC/20s is?"
"What's it sound like?"
"RAPERAPERAPERAPE."

Offline Taskeen

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 03:35:31 PM »
I can't get it to work no matter how much I have tried this.

The reticule moves in a much smaller circle around the middle box compared to the OP's in my case and it won't toggle with the key setup.

Offline ACE FIGHTER

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 03:49:07 PM »
Hmm? My previous post disappeared?

Well, here's something important. Your "active_actionmaps_dwadwad.xml", make a copy of it to somewhere and rename that copy to "actionmaps.xml", then paste it in your profile folder, replacing the older one. The game reads the key bindings from "actionmaps.xml", not "active_actionmaps_dwadwad.xml"
Works now! Thanks! ;D

But... why? Why the file name affect the result?

Lets see, when you're in free reticle mode (with the locked torso twist), type in your console cl_free_reticle_independent 1. Are you now able to turn the torso with the cursor?
I can't check it in console. I don't have English keyboard.

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 06:02:14 PM »
Well, here's something important. Your "active_actionmaps_dwadwad.xml", make a copy of it to somewhere and rename that copy to "actionmaps.xml", then paste it in your profile folder, replacing the older one. The game reads the key bindings from "actionmaps.xml", not "active_actionmaps_dwadwad.xml"
Works now! Thanks! ;D

But... why? Why the file name affect the result?

Well, because it works exactly how I said it: "The game reads the key bindings from "actionmaps.xml", not "active_actionmaps_....xml".

I suspect the "actionmaps.xml" is only updated with the "active_actionmaps_....xml" when you save your keys in the Actionmapper.

I can't check it in console. I don't have English keyboard.

Ok. But it probably was that, cl_free_reticle_independent was not being set because the game didn't found the action "<action name="toggleIntCvar cl_free_reticle_independent"..." in your actionmaps.xml file.

I can't get it to work no matter how much I have tried this.

The reticule moves in a much smaller circle around the middle box compared to the OP's in my case and it won't toggle with the key setup.

So, it behaves just like the "old" default free reticle? Check if you had the same problem as ACE FIGHTER, he wasn't updating his actionmaps.xml file. For troubleshooting, see in your console if the value of cl_free_reticle_independent changes between 0/1 when you press the key you chose.

Also, if you launch the game, join a server, and the crosshair starts with the "old" default free reticle config when you enter a mech, it means that you're missing cl_free_reticle_independent 1 in your autoexec.cfg file.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:31:15 PM by Bruno_007 »
Tools and I:

Offline b0bgeld0f

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-2
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 11:04:31 AM »
This is great..!BIG thanks to you Bruno, and to anyone else who had a hand in this...

much easier to get an ATM lock on ASF now...

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 02:04:05 PM »
Yep, its great to use ATMs with that, for example in the ATM Ryoken, where you then have that extra reach when there's someone above you, and keep that lock. And also brawling in general, when the torso reaches its turn limit. As for protecting a torso section, for me, not so much (as I had to keep aware of where the weapons were in my Mech), for that I rely on speeeed! (and moving accordingly to my enemy)
Tools and I: