Author Topic: A game mode I suggested to the Devs long before shut down.  (Read 2902 times)

Offline Werewolf486}12thVR{

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-1
A game mode I suggested to the Devs long before shut down.
« on: August 22, 2013, 09:30:07 PM »
This is just an excerpt from the proposal I submitted to the Dev team about making Terrain Control more like UT2004's Onslaught game mode. If you were a UT fan then you played Onslaught, on any map you could have one path to build links to the enemy base or you could have multiple. The goal was to destroy the enemy core, It was glorious!

MWLL: ONSLAUGHT

OVERVIEW:  Onslaught for Mechwarrior Living Legends brings together the Mechwarrior Universe and the very successful game mode used in UT2004. Onslaught is a team-based challenge that pits two teams in bitter warfare across massive terrain maps in a crit-filled battle to destroy, capture and hold key outposts. The main objective in any Onslaught game is to destroy your enemies' Power Station. This critical point is usually located in the heart of your opponent's base. Sounds simple, right? Here's the catch - a Power Station cannot be damaged unless your team has a link to it.

How it works: Both teams have a main base that they spawn at to purchase weapons, Mechs, VTOL, or Aerospace just like any normal MWLL mode. The difference in Onslaught is that there's a power station that supplies the main base with the power that is needed to build machines of war, but the power station is destructible and hidden inside a bunker. Each team must destroy the others power station while also protecting their own. The only way to achieve this objective is to create the necessary link to the enemy Power Station by capturing outposts to create the connection from your Power Station to the enemies Power Station.  All outposts begin as neutral points in the level and once the capture point has been entered they begin to affiliate with your team. At this point the opposing team can only try to harass you; they can't capture it for themselves. This creates an ebb and flow to the mode which is an adrenalized rush. Once you capture the outposts to create the link between your Main Base and theirs you can then attack their Power Station to destroy it and win the battle. Beware that only outposts that have paths that link them can be attacked and there can be more than one or two paths to either Power Station.
Spawning – You can spawn at any capture point you control.  If your forward capture point is attacked you can’t spawn there and must spawn further back at a locked capture point. This will reduce stalemates when teams can field assault mechs.
*In UT2004 Onslaught you have to power up the outposts (nodes) to capture them using the link gun, a tag laser could be used for this purpose if the MWLL version wishes to continue this concept of the UT2004 ONS. If this were added to the MWLL ONS then the enemy could destroy the Outposts power core at any base as its being powered up, which will hinder the enemy progress. This would work until it's been completely powered up to capture it, this would lock an outpost from attack if the enemy doesn't have a linking outpost of their own.

The Objective: Onslaught has two objectives for the player to achieve, Battle to win outposts, Destroy the Enemy Power Station to win ultimate victory! This is achieved in two ways. The first and most honorable way is by linking outposts that form a link to the enemy power station and attacking their power station to destroy it. The second path to victory is to hold more Outposts than the enemy when the timer hits zero. Once the timer hits zero both cores will start to count down till they go critical and explode. Power stations would start at 100 and counts down at rates that would vary depending on how many more outposts you hold compared to the enemy. If both sides hold an even amount then both stations countdown at equal rates and would be affected by team deaths, the more members die the faster it counts down, like the ticket system. Each member killed would count for one ticket of the stations life.

Unfortunately I can not show all the hard work that was put into this proposal with the way the forums are set up. I can't just copy and paste the word docs into here. If you're interested and want to see the full version PM me your email and I will send it to you. I've even suggested it to MWO on the forums, but it would have worked better in MWLL as spawning is a part of both MWLL and UT. Oh how I wish this would fire back up!
NEW: Cooler Master ATSC840                                                    OLD: Cooler Master ATSC840
ASUS LGA2011 Rampage IV Black Edition/Intel i7-4930K             ASUS LGA775 Rampage Extreme/Intel Q9550S
ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/27" ASUS Monitor                          ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/ 24" ASUS Monitor
16GB Corsair Vengeance/Razor Nostromo/M70,M65 Corsair         8GB OCZ Reaper/ N52te/Sidewinder
Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit                                     Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit
250gb Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/500GB WD Blue x 2 in Raid1        80GB Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/750GB WD Blue x2 in Raid1

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +340/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
Re: A game mode I suggested to the Devs long before shut down.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 10:09:58 PM »
Upload them to a pastebin and post the url.

Easy peasy.

• Star Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 10:17:38 PM »
Upload them to a pastebin and post the url.

Easy peasy.
Will it show all the images?
NEW: Cooler Master ATSC840                                                    OLD: Cooler Master ATSC840
ASUS LGA2011 Rampage IV Black Edition/Intel i7-4930K             ASUS LGA775 Rampage Extreme/Intel Q9550S
ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/27" ASUS Monitor                          ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/ 24" ASUS Monitor
16GB Corsair Vengeance/Razor Nostromo/M70,M65 Corsair         8GB OCZ Reaper/ N52te/Sidewinder
Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit                                     Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit
250gb Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/500GB WD Blue x 2 in Raid1        80GB Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/750GB WD Blue x2 in Raid1

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 10:36:56 PM »
Its basically an online notepad that can be viewed, so whatevers written dude.

Oh Images, no it won't, use a googledoc then dude. Look at Maus's over in the #mwoärskit thread to have a look at a decently put together one.

• Star Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 06:00:21 AM »
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uf9EiSs8ng2ktDBfokVSD4CKkfP80rjNGceyrwqKFJ0/edit?usp=sharing

Ok here is the link to Googledocs so you can view it, it's not as good as the original as I used a military style text on it.

Offline Hartsblade}12th VR{

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +25/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 06:11:02 PM »
Hey Werewolf, I liked your concept when you pitched it during Alpha and I like it now!

Hope the community is open to it.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 06:17:59 PM »
It might be an idea to approach who ever it is running the community mapping shebang, it's a pretty good idea mang and I could get behind it.

• Star Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 09:13:43 PM »
Thanks guys! I appreciate it very much and I hope so too Bill!

Offline C.Falcon

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-1
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 08:33:03 AM »
UT2k4 Onslaught was fappin awesome and would suit MWLL very well bc it was indeed very large scale. Honestly any TC map would make a good ONS map.

TL;DR entire thread:

Onslaught was an excellent control point game type for UT2k4 that is large scale enough to be easily emulated for MWLL.
If you are familiar with The Unreal Tournament you should be surprised that Onslaught was an exclusive combined arms game of UT, with ground vehicles from scout jeeps to tanks, as well as hover and flight craft!
The control point system is unlike the basic system MWLL and other battlefield knockoffs use because instead of a map full of contestable bases, only bases in contact to (next to) each other can be captured. Basically the control points have to be linked to your main base or stronghold.

The objective is to establish a link to your enemy's stronghold to destroy it. With enough control points on the map multiple routes between the two strongholds are possible, so the game doesn't have to be locked on a fight over one base.

The game uses a ticket system that is really just the health points of your stronghold's power core and is controlled by several factors. Like MWLL, the ticket drain is affected by how many bases you hold. Turtling your stronghold will result in your team's loss, so pushing the enemy back is vital.
Destruction of assets could keep the ticket penalty from MWLL, but possibly changed to the buying of assets, so it doesnt matter if it's sold or destroyed.
This would also benefit infantry players which is important, because BA have a more significant role in base warfare...

The control points in onslaught are unique from other base capture modes because instead of capturing bases you are destroying power relays and rebuilding your own.
The MWLL equivalent of UT Onslaught is a BA using his laser to construct and repair the base's power generator. In UT you take a laser weapon and fire a stream onto the power node which charges it up until it is full and the base is captured.
The weapons of MWLL dont work like that, so it would be simpler to emulate games like BF2142, where infantry capture the base by standing in a specific area in the base.

When you attack an enemy base, you destroy their power node to make it an unpowered neutral base. Once the base is secure the power node needs to be reconstructed, which can be done by a single BA just standing in/on the power node room/platform or more for speed.

This capture system is itself a challenge because BA will be vulnerable to build/repair the power node. This makes me think LongTom spam will be a problem, so perhaps most bases will have roofs.

Also here's another damn description if you need help falling asleep.
http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/308901-Descriptions-of-UT2004-s-Assault-and-Onslaught-Game-Types
-=-
Alright all this typing completely exhausted my alcohol so I need to refuel ...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:33:23 AM by C.Falcon »

Offline Chezzar

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 01:46:26 PM »
Yay, Onslaught, one of the hightlights of UT2004. It was truly awesome.

Offline C.Falcon

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-1
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 07:32:36 AM »
UT2k4 Onslaught was fappin awesome and would suit MWLL very well bc it was indeed very large scale. Honestly any TC map would make a good ONS map.

TL;DR entire thread:

Onslaught was an excellent control point game type for UT2k4 that is large scale enough to be easily emulated for MWLL.
If you are familiar with The Unreal Tournament you should be surprised that Onslaught was an exclusive combined arms game of UT, with ground vehicles from scout jeeps to tanks, as well as hover and flight craft!
Also here's another damn description if you need help falling asleep.
http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/308901-Descriptions-of-UT2004-s-Assault-and-Onslaught-Game-Types
-=-
Alright all this typing completely exhausted my alcohol so I need to refuel.
TL;DR that post:
In case my previous post is unbearably immense, or even immensely unbearable, here's basically the same thing halved and double spaced:

UT2004 had a game mode called Onslaught that was very successful and would work well in MWLL.

Your primary base holds a power core, and there are control points called power nodes spread through the map.

These nodes work as relays, and can only be captured and used when connected to your team's core. This means that from the start you can only capture bases in direct contact to your main base, then onwards connecting bases until you've reached your enemy's power core.

If your team establishes a link to your enemy's base the shield protecting their core goes down, opening it to destruction.

Base capture has a twist in this game as the uncaptured bases are unpowered.
Once a neutral base is connected to a base that you own or directly from your core, I believe it needed a jumpstart from you or a teammate, then its power begins charging on its own at a slow rate.
The charge speed can be multiplied several times by infantry at the power node. (In UT, you use a laser rifle with a repair function)

You can only contest an enemy base (and they yours) if you have a link to it to lower the node's shield. Destroy the power node and the base is neutral again, and your team can build its own node.
Once the node is fully charged the base is yours, and will be until the node is destroyed. A damaged node heals over time and can also be repaired.

Each team is trying to outlast the other's ticket count, which doubles as the power core's health.

Team's tickets drain over time proportionate to how many bases you hold, and player death merits a ticket penalty, similar to MWLL asset destruction.
Once a team's core is unshielded it is open to damage from weapons until the core's shields are renewed.

The game has an excellent team flow and almost any TC map already made could be easily converted.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:41:52 AM by C.Falcon »

• Star Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 03:09:09 AM »
So glad you guys like the idea! Tell your friends about it, maybe we can get something done.