Author Topic: How do we pick up development again?  (Read 11074 times)

Offline Werewolf486}12thVR{

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-1
Re: How do we pick up development again?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 08:39:55 PM »
I fail to understand why those capable of doing the bug fixes haven't done it and passed it along to the rest of the community. If I had the skills to fix the bugs in MWLL I would have and distributed it to everyone I could. After the bug fixes then others could work on creating added content for the game such as static assets, then player assets. If you look at UT2004 it has a long history of community development long after it was done in retail, I just fail to understand why we couldn't have the same here. Those capable do the work to fix the bugs and put the patch up as a free download on Fileplanet or someplace else, then game assets are done the same way. It would be free work done by the community instead of the Dev team. It's not like they can stop the community from modding files right?
NEW: Cooler Master ATSC840                                                    OLD: Cooler Master ATSC840
ASUS LGA2011 Rampage IV Black Edition/Intel i7-4930K             ASUS LGA775 Rampage Extreme/Intel Q9550S
ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/27" ASUS Monitor                          ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/ 24" ASUS Monitor
16GB Corsair Vengeance/Razor Nostromo/M70,M65 Corsair         8GB OCZ Reaper/ N52te/Sidewinder
Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit                                     Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit
250gb Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/500GB WD Blue x 2 in Raid1        80GB Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/750GB WD Blue x2 in Raid1

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 09:29:51 PM »
I think the main issue is that any modification would had to pass through Ingrater, there's a cheat protection in place remember? Unless you break or find a way around that.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" Šokaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

• Star Captain
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 11:05:37 PM »
Well I think it's time that MWLL get some community involved work done to correct the bugs at the very least. Then go from there and see what can be done. In my opinion this would be no different then MekTek taking over MW4.
NEW: Cooler Master ATSC840                                                    OLD: Cooler Master ATSC840
ASUS LGA2011 Rampage IV Black Edition/Intel i7-4930K             ASUS LGA775 Rampage Extreme/Intel Q9550S
ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/27" ASUS Monitor                          ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/ 24" ASUS Monitor
16GB Corsair Vengeance/Razor Nostromo/M70,M65 Corsair         8GB OCZ Reaper/ N52te/Sidewinder
Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit                                     Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit
250gb Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/500GB WD Blue x 2 in Raid1        80GB Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/750GB WD Blue x2 in Raid1

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 01:55:40 AM »
MODDB MOTY voting has begun!
Reposted on MWLL.SU, RDL and ELH forums. Anyone can tell when and in what categories MOTY already won?

Nobody wins anything until sometime in early January (I think, not 100% sure), there is a good period of time for votes to be collected. Maybe the first wave will pass soon, and unpopular entries will be weeded out, but the final winners will not be announced any time soon.

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline dCK-Apriori

• MWLL Developer
  • Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +6/-0
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 06:04:24 AM »
Well, as far as I know there have been people known to break the "cheat"/file modification protection. But those are usually quite simple .xml modifications affecting only variants. Code changes to game logic (lua) would be possible working around the protection I guess, but actual code changes on the C++ code (reticule, hit  detection etc.) without having access to it are pretty much impossible (unless you want to go into reverse-engineer-hell and thereby illegal areas) and were already quite painful due to limited access to the engine. Also don't forget, there is a reason, why that code is not freely available. Development of this mod started with specific terms and those are in no way enforceable by making the code free - the contracting parties would lose any control over the enforcement of the terms.

Our friend Vlaad put it perfectly right already: The business model of MWLL was flawed, we knew it from the very beginning that this IP includes complications. Now I consider it kind of sad because I'm still sure we would have delivered over time what the community really wanted. On the other hand, this community proved also to be extremely complicated, sometimes unforgiving, sometimes unthankful and we devs also did plenty of stuff wrong in acting with and managing it. And then of course there is the "life continues" aspect. Some of the devs study and are currently (including me) in the process of finishing those studies. It is kind of interesting. Actually I was only part of the development for merely 8 months, but still I love thinking back to that time and would even love to pick it up again. I just regret very much that I could not get my planned work done, which would have made this game much more presentable in ways that just become more important in current time (streaming, lets-plays, league spectator presentation etc.) and were just slowly developing when I planned those features. I can only imagine how it is for the devs who actually spent years on this project and who even had far more ambitious plans.

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +39/-0
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 07:19:05 AM »
HUD and reticule needs work for sure, but I was thinking about bug fixes for BA that have (mostly) been shoved aside for years.

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 08:13:24 AM »
On the other hand, this community proved also to be extremely complicated, sometimes unforgiving, sometimes unthankful and sometimes complete dicks.

• Star Captain
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 07:53:56 PM »
HUD and reticule needs work for sure, but I was thinking about bug fixes for BA that have (mostly) been shoved aside for years.

That's because you're OP in BA! :P

We need some sorta bug fixes rolling in as it's the biggest deterrent to playing. Hell even rolling back the HUD and removal of free reticule till they are fixed would give us a more viable game.

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +39/-0
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 08:06:26 PM »
I feel like cleaning up the HUD wouldn't be that hard, relatively speaking. Remove redundant elements, and embed internal status bars/diagrams inside the armor bars/diagrams. It'd just be moving, removing, or redrawing things, not changing any functionality.

But no matter how much we say these things should be done or what might be "easy" or "hard," we'd need people with both the skills and the time. I have skill as an artist (or at least, I know enough to where I could improve enough to catch up with MWLL work), but not the time. How many programmers do we have in here who weren't on the MWLL team?

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2013, 10:20:06 PM »
First, i want to say that I love this game, and i really would like to see developement starting again.
But...if I were a developer, i would ask myself...would it be worth?I mean, no more than 15 players in the whole world play it each day...would be really worth to spend so much time improving a game that has so few players...?
Sad to say, but it's true... :'(

Offline [CW] CyclonerM

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-0
  • MechWarrior CyclonerM, Clan Wolf Alpha Galaxy
    • www.clan-wolf.info
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 11:40:02 PM »
First, i want to say that I love this game, and i really would like to see developement starting again.
But...if I were a developer, i would ask myself...would it be worth?I mean, no more than 15 players in the whole world play it each day...would be really worth to spend so much time improving a game that has so few players...?
Sad to say, but it's true... :'(
Yes, it would be!

Offline Bird_Thing

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-4
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 01:00:15 AM »
I think MWLL would just need to be advertised some more.
There's not enough people that know what this game is, and what potential it has (or "had", whichever way you like). More people are focused on other games that require far less thinking (at least, that's what I believe), and have become somewhat lazy in wanting to think harder. (This is all based on what I've seen in the past few months from a bit of personal experience.)

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 07:34:58 AM »

That's because you're OP in BA! :P

We need some sorta bug fixes rolling in as it's the biggest deterrent to playing. Hell even rolling back the HUD and removal of free reticule till they are fixed would give us a more viable game.

If the HUD just reliably worked now by default the way it does after the actionmapper fix that gives you a switching free / fixed hud with the L-ALT key it would be 1000x better for beginners.

• Star Captain
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 03:29:28 PM »
I'd rather have the old pre free reticule hud then what we have now. It never should have been thrown in. Deathshade was doing his job and working on it, but time ran short, never should have been put in until his body of work was done. Now we have a game breaker of a bug to overcome and we'd need someone to revert the hud for us. If we can get that one bug removed from the game it would go far for keeping people playing.

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +125/-33
  • Cheese!
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 06:52:20 PM »
We at SJ have done this dance. It's not possible. It's either break cheat protection, and then anyone with a clue can shoot bazillion damage missiles, or break the cheat protection and pretty much rewrite the entire mod. Ingrater went out of his way to ensure that we would not be able to do what it is you all keep asking.

None of what you all ask for is 'hard' just time consuming, with very very very little return on investment. Point is, without Ingrater, there is nothing anyone can do with the code we have.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 07:05:23 PM by SJ SaKhan Wolf »
My milk shakes!