Author Topic: MWO is a massive pile of [redacting][redacted], I'll try this.  (Read 7302 times)

Offline JACKACKAA

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-15
Re: MWO is a massive pile of [redacting][redacted], I'll try this.
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 12:35:30 AM »
There is only one hit indicator you need. Your cbill counter. If that's going up you're dealing damage. I'd also argue that most sounds are lightyears better than than what is found in MWO. As far as the models, the older ones are definitely showing their age. Remember the mod is several years old. It's bit unfair to 1:1 compare models against a game that was just released.
Yes, looking at my cbill counter during combat is really easy and intuitive. Also I was talking about things hitting you, not the other way around. There's absolutely no indicator of someone shooting you with a machine gun. No screen shake, no red arrows, no sound effects.

And speaking of sound effects, here's some from the Project Reality mod for BF2. It's also an old mod, so they should be 1:1 comparable, no? Especially since they've had no funding for the mod either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8NlQiZ-MbA
For comparison, this is what MWLL tanks sound like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMNVKUDT8h8
It's not a tank at all, it's just two metal buckets clanging together or something.

As for other things wrong with this game, the aiming system feels like it's straight from MW4. And why does my torso keep moving when I leave my crosshair slighly off-center? That's quite annoying as well. So is the GUI of the game. It's ugly and uninformative.

The models are not ugly because the mod is from 2009 but because for some reason it was deemed a good idea to use the original ugly 80's mech designs instead of applying some modernization like MWO did. The older mechs are extremely low-poly and blocky, I don't know why they should be used in a modern game.

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +125/-33
  • Cheese!
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 01:03:38 AM »
There is only one hit indicator you need. Your cbill counter. If that's going up you're dealing damage. I'd also argue that most sounds are lightyears better than than what is found in MWO. As far as the models, the older ones are definitely showing their age. Remember the mod is several years old. It's bit unfair to 1:1 compare models against a game that was just released.
Yes, looking at my cbill counter during combat is really easy and intuitive. Also I was talking about things hitting you, not the other way around. There's absolutely no indicator of someone shooting you with a machine gun. No screen shake, no red arrows, no sound effects.

And speaking of sound effects, here's some from the Project Reality mod for BF2. It's also an old mod, so they should be 1:1 comparable, no? Especially since they've had no funding for the mod either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8NlQiZ-MbA
For comparison, this is what MWLL tanks sound like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMNVKUDT8h8
It's not a tank at all, it's just two metal buckets clanging together or something.

As for other things wrong with this game, the aiming system feels like it's straight from MW4. And why does my torso keep moving when I leave my crosshair slighly off-center? That's quite annoying as well. So is the GUI of the game. It's ugly and uninformative.

The models are not ugly because the mod is from 2009 but because for some reason it was deemed a good idea to use the original ugly 80's mech designs instead of applying some modernization like MWO did. The older mechs are extremely low-poly and blocky, I don't know why they should be used in a modern game.

You do realize that the man who designed those MWO model concept art, FlyingDebris, worked on this mod right? http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php?action=profile;u=942

I also said, don't compare the models, not the sound effects. We all will have preferences on the sound effects. Everything you said are all valid points, however when it comes to the point that matters most to me as a gamer, the gameplay. MWLL > MWO.
My milk shakes!

Offline JACKACKAA

• Bondsman
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 01:20:57 AM »
I'm not saying MWO is better than MWLL. I'm saying they're both shit in their own personal ways. If we could have the good parts from both as one game that'd be nice is all I'm saying.

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +125/-33
  • Cheese!
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 01:26:50 AM »
Well that right there I can't disagree with.
My milk shakes!

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 05:40:33 AM »
I smell butthurt.
Well I am somewhat saddened that MWLL was not a better game. I guess betrayed expectations can make people mad, no?

MWLL was a community sourced game done for no money. While it would be great to have better models etc, it is outstanding for what it is. It didn't win its awards for no reason. The key to a good mechwarrior game is balanced play with various models with various jobs, and in that respect MWLL excels. You can drive a light scout mech and survive and be useful, not just cannon fodder for the big behemoths. The weapons are fairly well balanced against cost. Each weapon has some useful role. The heat model of damaged heat sinks / armor loss is well done and makes sense. Damage indicators are pretty easy to read and intuitive. The balance of Clan versus IS is well done and provides for a very different game mode than the free for all of mixing the two. There are dozens of good useful maps so you can have variety. There are several different game modes.

The fact that everybody starts on even ground at the beginning of every match means spending money or grinding away for days can't help you out, only your skill as a pilot.

Could MWLL be a better game? Of course it could. Every game has some improvements somewhere. Is MWLL the best current tech mech combat game? Yes, I think so. Pretty graphics mean nothing if the game play is meh, and the opposite, glaring graphics flaws can be made up for by great game play.

If you're a good pilot you can work around the small issues you mention. But it takes time to get good at MWLL and learn the various mech models that fit your style or what job you're trying to do.

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 07:46:30 AM »
I love the sockpuppet accounting and massive karma bombing going on. Hilarious.

Offline MWOFAN

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +14/-35
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 10:53:14 AM »
MWLL was a community sourced game done for no money.
What a great excuse for being shite. Noble intentions do not make good games.

While it would be great to have better models etc, it is outstanding for what it is.
Outstanding at being shit, perhaps?

Damage indicators are pretty easy to read and intuitive.
MWO's (and those of pretty much every other mech game) are way more so. I think you are all in denial.

The balance of Clan versus IS is well done
I can't say I'm seeing many IS mechs on either side.

There are dozens of good useful maps so you can have variety. There are several different game modes.
This is not a bad thing vs. MWO. The horrid clunkiness is (the Solaris announcer is embarrassing though).

The fact that everybody starts on even ground at the beginning of every match means spending money or grinding away for days can't help you out, only your skill as a pilot.
Why the hell am I getting promotions for barely getting shots in, then? I may be dying without kills but that doesn't seem like a good reason not to promote me.

Is MWLL the best current tech mech combat game? Yes, I think so. Pretty graphics mean nothing if the game play is meh, and the opposite, glaring graphics flaws can be made up for by great game play.
If the first assertion is true, then the franchise should die already (MWO isn't worthy either, so there). Do also stop with the false dichotomies, MWLL is quite capable of being pretty terrible on both accounts.

If you're a good pilot you can work around the small issues you mention. But it takes time to get good at MWLL and learn the various mech models that fit your style or what job you're trying to do.
Paraphrased: "Git gud, shitter." Please. This is not a good reason for making a clunky-ass game. I don't hate the fact that it's easy to die, I hate the fact that it's hard to do anything while dying. This is like ARMA versus PR:BF2 -- the added simulationism in the former is enjoyable, but movement and shooting (i.e. core gameplay) is just unnecessarily clunky versus the latter. In the case of MWLL, it's much of the same. The paperdoll is unintuitive as is the rest of the UI, and the movement floaty and difficult to predict. MWO is pretty horrible on the movement as well, but the shooting is just objectively better (MWLL does do some weapons and their sounds better).

I love the sockpuppet accounting and massive karma bombing going on. Hilarious.
Again with the slander. I agree with Jack here, but that does not make me a sockpuppet. You all seem to be inordinately angry about your precious game, why couldn't you be sockpuppets?

Offline Marlin

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +15/-15
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2013, 11:24:51 AM »
I think you are trolling, MWOFan.

I killed you after you were a BA in center of Mirage for quite a long time. (Doing just BA to annoy others might be considered trolling, perhaps that explains stuff.) Some things you say might even be correct, but moot, as the game cannot be improved further, thanks to decisions of others, because it would have been. Sound issues are flat nonsense. RAC 2 are the best sounding weapon for me as are heavy lasers.

Also, MG impacts are there. Not sure what you are doing with your PC, mate.
So, many of your points are ... rather pointless. If you dont like that game, go to MWO and have fun there. There is a small chance of improval at least. ;)
Watch "Save the Supers" you will get some laughs in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYvc6E-Wjbo

Should I ever be listed at the top of my team, then we have a serious problem.

Offline MWOFAN

• Bondsman
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2013, 11:36:34 AM »
So, many of your points are ... rather pointless. If you dont like that game, go to MWO and have fun there. There is a small chance of improval at least. ;)
False dichotomies and non-arguments. Is this the best you can do?

Why do you even have BA in the game if using them is trolling?

Offline Marlin

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +15/-15
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2013, 12:18:06 PM »
False dichotomies and non-arguments. Is this the best you can do?

Why do you even have BA in the game if using them is trolling?

Thanks for proving my point. :)
Watch "Save the Supers" you will get some laughs in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYvc6E-Wjbo

Should I ever be listed at the top of my team, then we have a serious problem.

Offline MWOFAN

• Bondsman
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2013, 12:24:21 PM »
Thanks for proving my point. :)
Please. You didn't even have any -- not that I should expect any better from such rabble.

Offline Snow Gibbon

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-8
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2013, 01:16:04 PM »
dis gon b gud
12th Vegan Rangers - Missile spam is the best kind of spam!

Offline JACKACKAA

• Bondsman
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2013, 01:31:22 PM »
You can drive a light scout mech and survive and be useful, not just cannon fodder for the big behemoths.
I killed you after you were a BA in center of Mirage for quite a long time. (Doing just BA to annoy others might be considered trolling, perhaps that explains stuff.)
It would be nice if you could stop contradicting each other while arguing why MWLL is so good. How can the game be balanced if using BA is considered trolling instead of a useful contribution to your team. Equipping one costs roughly the same as a lower-end light mech, shouldn't they be equally useful then?

And your community doesn't seem too healthy either. The first hint of critique towards your mod and it seems everyone who still plays the mod comes here hurling insults and accusations of trolling. I suppose there's a reason why hardly anyone plays these days. Even the MWO new player experience is more fun than this.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +156/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2013, 01:37:04 PM »
Why the hell am I getting promotions for barely getting shots in, then?

You get more score for shooting assets that are heavier than you. This means if you join later in a match, you usually "level up" faster (if you are any good, that is).

Doing just BA to annoy others might be considered trolling.

Only if you're bad at it or if being BA only is detrimental to the team effort, regardless of skill.

Also, MG impacts are there. Not sure what you are doing with your PC, mate.

Sound in MWLL or rather even Crysis Wars in general can be buggy. But yes, MG impact sound is there, in principle. But you probably will not hear a lot of sounds depending on the situation, if you don't edit your autoexec.cfg manually. And depending on your hardware, you will not hear specific sounds at all, no matter what you do.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 01:44:41 PM by Spooky »

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2013, 02:34:54 PM »
In this thread: Our lovely MWO is dying, let's go troll MWLL... True colors revealed. Troll alerts at maximum.

Oh and anyone who slams Duncan Fisher gets zero respect. Sorry you're a shite player MWOFAN. I know the butthurt is strong. The desire to blame anything or anyone so as not to have to take credit for your own failings is human nature. But let's face it, your real rant is "wah! I can't play this game well!"

Here's a hint, spend more time working on skills and less time trolling the people who routinely stomp your ass into the ground.