Author Topic: F2P games you actually spent money on because you liked it.  (Read 2504 times)

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
F2P games you actually spent money on because you liked it.
« on: December 19, 2013, 06:19:11 PM »
Wondering what F2P games have you guys actually spent money on because you enjoyed it.

Sure I got bored of the games eventually (it's the nature of games) but I really enjoyed them to the point where I spent money because i was having fun. No kickstarters or games that haven't been released. The whole point is that you enjoyed PLAYING the game enough to give the devs money.

My list:
Last Exile
Planetside 2
Neverwinter (mmo)
Warframe
Star Trek Online
Tribes Ascend

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +86/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
Re: F2P games you actually spent money on because you liked it.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 07:04:17 PM »
World of Tanks and by extent through shared accounts basically World of Warplanes as well.
I bought several Premium Tanks and because i make tons of free XP on them, every some months i go get some money to convert the free XP.
I'll wait to see if i like Warthunder Tanks before i spend money on that, because i don't really like the planes i am afraid <.<
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +125/-33
  • Cheese!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 07:09:30 PM »
Dota 2.
Sometimes you just want to dress up your otherwise free hero in something more unique, and starting at just a few dollars for some sets it's totally worth it

Marvel Heroes.
I couldn't be bothered grinding out for iron man, so at 10 bucks, why not.
My milk shakes!

Offline Ressk [CSF]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +72/-2
  • Khan of [CSF]
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 07:19:52 PM »
League of Legends (looking cool was never this easy/retarded)

Planetside 2 (debatable, i regretted my purchases at first, only now am i really appreciating them :D)

aaaaand THATS IT.
Recruitment Page For CSF

click the pic /\
ULLER4LYFE! the internet hates CSF

Offline Xesle

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +84/-19
  • Git gud scrubs
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 08:06:17 PM »
I think league of legends is the only true f2p game I've ever spent any money on. I've spent money on eve online, but I haven't done so in nearly a year since I make more than enough isk nowadays to plex both of my accounts using ingame currency.

Prodigal son my ass.

Offline Mech Daddy

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-54
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 09:05:30 PM »
MWO :^)

Offline Snow Gibbon

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-8
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 01:35:47 AM »
War Thunder, because they actually listened to a bunch of people's (including me) complaints about their connectivity issues, and they actually create new and useful content every big patch. Of course, the most recent patch was a bit crappy, but it still contained some new planes to fly as well as better functionality in the customised battles section to promote pseudo-community warfare,  and the worst changes were rolled back after two days.
12th Vegan Rangers - Missile spam is the best kind of spam!

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 03:21:33 AM »
Path of Exile, I bought a couple of extra stash tabs and upgraded the existing ones to premium so I could colour code and name them to avoid having excess mule characters and having to remember where all my stuff was, haven't bought any of the cosmetic stuff though a couple of the cosmetics do look nice.

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 08:24:38 AM »
I bought the redbaron corki skin and pumpkin head fiddlesticks skin for 8 bucks back in the day when I played League of Legends.
Loved both of them! :)
At some point I dont mind spending a few bucks once I've poured hundreds of hours in for free. :P
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 10:23:44 AM »
Well technically I spent money on Team Fortress 2, but that was back when it wasn't F2P yet and only part of the Orange Box. And I gladly paid for that. I never even touched any of the other games on the Orange Box ;).

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 10:27:43 AM »
Planetside 2, I guess.  It was fun for a bit.

Still not sure if I liked MWO, but I did spend a wee bit o' money.

WoT is fun, just don't recall spending anything on it. 

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 11:07:15 AM »
Well technically I spent money on Team Fortress 2, but that was back when it wasn't F2P yet and only part of the Orange Box. And I gladly paid for that. I never even touched any of the other games on the Orange Box ;).

You should play Portal.

You know, just cause.

Offline Zaro27

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-0
  • Nicest Motherfapper Here
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 09:48:29 PM »
League of Legends and Planetside 2 are basically the only F2P games I've dropped cash on. I bought a copy of TF2 before it was F2P and I used to have a subscription to The Old Republic, but both of those were pay to play for the longest.
I want to put a bullet between the eyes of every panda that won't screw to save it's species. I want to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all those French beaches I'll never see. I want to breathe smoke. I want to destroy something beautiful.

Offline Askis

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +55/-5
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 04:24:45 AM »
Hmm, I've tried a lot of F2P games over the years, but so far, the only one of them I've spent a few bucks on was SW:TOR.
And in that case it was about 5$ just to be considered a "preferred" player. ::)

Most games I didn't play very long though, mostly WoT on and off since CB and I never spent a dime (but my highest tier tanks are just Tier 8, so I'm not the most focused player^^') and while I was very tempted to drop some money on WT, 1.37 put a stop to that.

Essentially, any of the "proper" F2P games I played, I either got bored/lost interest before considering spending money or I played long enough to notice how much it forced you into paying to either be competitive or progress at all and it pissed me off, the exceptions being WoT and WT which I've been playing for quite a while with no money spent.

WoT kinda works as a free player, at least if you've got a few Tier 5/6 tanks that you really like to play and WT... was a lot fun so far, but Gaijin seems determined to crap all over their own game every now and then, so I'd rather wait and see how they fapp themselves over before I waste my money.

Offline DFDelta

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +145/-1
  • Wiki Staff
    • My Youtube page
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 05:08:15 PM »
Warframe (stupid 75% discounts always make me buy high amounts of plat)
Planetside 2
Path of Exile
DOTA 2
Ragnarok Online 2 (Though by the path it has taken since then I wouldn't again.)
Pandora Saga
Join the MWLL wiki today, your contributions will make the wiki a better place.

In Lyran Commonwealth, Atlas scouts you.