Author Topic: Mechwarrior 2: Running it on Windows 7  (Read 6034 times)

Offline Cherno

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-23
Mechwarrior 2: Running it on Windows 7
« on: December 22, 2013, 04:54:07 PM »
Helli folks, I hope someone has some knowledge on this topic.

I would like to play Mechwarrior 2 again on my PC, I managed to get the Pentium edition to run but it has a bug that won't let you use your custom assets in the game. There's a fan-patch that is supposed to correct this issue, but it doesn't work either.

So, I tried the DOS version and lo and behold, with DosBox it runs and the bug isn't there, but it's in 320x240 resolution, I seem to remember that some keyboard combination allowed you to change the resolution to SVGA? Maybe someone knows how to do this (or how to get a SVGA version o MW2 to run without the custom asset bug :) )

Offline JLZ

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-6
  • m e l e r s k i
Re: Mechwarrior 2: Running it on Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 10:01:11 PM »
I had the dos version of mechwarrior2.

Press the "esc" key when in the main menu.
Then under options you should be able to set the resolution.

Offline Cherno

• MechWarrior
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 12:28:35 AM »
Thanks. However, it freezes after completing the first JF mission, but I managed to get the Win95 version working via MechVM, a very nice program.

Offline [CW] CyclonerM

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-0
  • MechWarrior CyclonerM, Clan Wolf Alpha Galaxy
    • www.clan-wolf.info
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 02:54:04 PM »
Thanks. However, it freezes after completing the first JF mission, but I managed to get the Win95 version working via MechVM, a very nice program.

How did you do it? I tried it but i needed the original video card it was sold with..

Offline Cherno

• MechWarrior
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 03:01:47 PM »
You need any MW2 version as a CD image, I think there are basically three:

The original DOS version (this one is also included in all Windows versions)
The "Pentium edition" for Win95
The "Titanium edition" for Win95

The Titanium Edition seems to have some problems no matter what, so your best bet is the Pentium edition, there is one that also has Netmech, I have this one from an old compilation and it worked flawlessy. Just mount the CD image, fire up MechVM, and install.

Obviously, the versions that were bundled with graphics cards won'T work without the hardware ;)
However, the 3DFX version can be simulated:
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/73563-mechwarrior-2-in-3dfx-working-in-windows-7-64-bit/
It does work but I didn't use it with MechVM and there was the widely-known custom mech bug, so I just used the vanilla version with MechVM.

Offline [CW] CyclonerM

• Recruit
    • www.clan-wolf.info
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 03:11:04 PM »
You need any MW2 version as a CD image, I think there are basically three:

The original DOS version (this one is also included in all Windows versions)
The "Pentium edition" for Win95
The "Titanium edition" for Win95

The Titanium Edition seems to have some problems no matter what, so your best bet is the Pentium edition, there is one that also has Netmech, I have this one from an old compilation and it worked flawlessy. Just mount the CD image, fire up MechVM, and install.

Obviously, the versions that were bundled with graphics cards won'T work without the hardware ;)
However, the 3DFX version can be simulated:
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/73563-mechwarrior-2-in-3dfx-working-in-windows-7-64-bit/
It does work but I didn't use it with MechVM and there was the widely-known custom mech bug, so I just used the vanilla version with MechVM.

Thanks. I managed to get to work my old PC and it worked fine, a rush of nostalgia, but then it died..

I also used D-Fend Reloaded with DosBox to play the DOS version and it worked but for some reason it lost the config files with the game or something similar and it would be a nightmare to set up without the person helped me doing it.

Offline Cherno

• MechWarrior
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 11:38:50 PM »
I played through all of MW2, no I am halfway through MW2 Mercenaries (Dosbox) and suddenly I auto-win every mission, I don't even get to enter the mission, as soon as I click the launch button I am back in the command center with the mission successful screen... Right when the Clans invade :(
In related news, MchVM doesn't work work with Mercs on my PC, the Dos version just chrashes on startup and the Win95 version runs but I auto-fail every mission :D

Offline [IPA] Avatar

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-4
  • Kiss me, I'm shitfaced!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 11:32:29 AM »
Well, this may not sound as the smartest solution, but when I wanted to play old MW games, I just bought an old laptop, installed Win ME (yeah, bite me) and... played.

Offline Mech Daddy

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-54
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 05:50:12 PM »
I could kill for a chance to play Mech2 again. I got the 95 edition on cd, but can't get it to work on MechVM. Tried dosbox, but then the game lacks music.

Offline [CW] CyclonerM

• Recruit
    • www.clan-wolf.info
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 08:40:27 PM »
I could kill for a chance to play Mech2 again. I got the 95 edition on cd, but can't get it to work on MechVM. Tried dosbox, but then the game lacks music.

I am pretty sure that with the CD inserted you should have the music.